• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 05dodgedaytona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2009
    Cecil County
    After just under 2 months my HRA Service Grade M1 Garand showed up from CMP. It got here a lot faster then I was expecting. I was hoping for one with a original stock but instead got one with a new stock. Overall I am very happy with the service grade. This is my first Garand and the first time dealing with CMP. Here are some pics.

Garand and 1903A3

05dodgedaytona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2009
    Cecil County
    Very nice, congratulations. You'll soon find that you can't have just one. :)

It would be nice to have a Springfield to go with the A3. Other then that I probably won't buy another M1 unless they find some field grades. This will just be a safe queen like the A3 and all my other milsurps.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Very nice Garand. The 03-A3 is no slouch, either. You might try out the CMP matches at Southern Lancaster County Farmers Sportsmen Association (SLCFSA).

http://www.slcfsa.com/activities/rifle/

These matches are a lot of fun, and will really enrich your shooting experience.

Sometimes the replacement stocks need a little fitting. Check whether or not the op rod is rubbing wood anywhere, and relieve if necessary.

Tilt Test: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=71546

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlIoxbtdPXY

Here is an oft-reposted picfture showing other areas to check:

stockrelieving-1.jpg

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Lol, I am ready to send CMP the app,... I was waiting for them to get some new stuff, but may break down and order a service grade.

While ye tarry, they may run out of Service Grades.

Arthur Quiller-Couch, ed. 1919. The Oxford Book of English Verse: 1250–1900.

Robert Herrick. 1591–1674

248. To the Virgins, to make much of Time

GATHER ye rosebuds while ye may,
    Old Time is still a-flying:
    And this same flower that smiles to-day
    To-morrow will be dying.

The glorious lamp of heaven, the sun, 5
    The higher he 's a-getting,
    The sooner will his race be run,
    And nearer he 's to setting.

That age is best which is the first,
    When youth and blood are warmer; 10
    But being spent, the worse, and worst
    Times still succeed the former.

Then be not coy, but use your time,
    And while ye may, go marry:
    For having lost but once your prime, 15
    You may for ever tarry.

505px-Waterhouse-gather_ye_rosebuds-1909.jpg

Gather them rose buds, boy.

https://letstalkaboutlit.wordpress.com/tag/you-only-live-once/

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Lol, you got me. I'll send that app in this week. How good of a deal are the CMP service grade Garands? What would they retail for (I would be buying to keep, I'm just curious.)

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    You should be able to re-sell it for $800 and keep the plastic case. When they run out, the price should jump. Garands, probably Field Grades, are at gun shows and storefronts for $1000-ish I believe.

Order ammo and clips along with the rifle. CMP is the best source for both. If we ever meet up, I could give you a dozen clips or so. I'm knee deep in the damn things. "Look! The cat just choked on a Garand clip..."

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Lol, you got me. I'll send that app in this week. How good of a deal are the CMP service grade Garands? What would they retail for (I would be buying to keep, I'm just curious.)

It depends on exactly what you get, but you can guarantee you're saving yourself several hundred dollars over buying retail. On top of that, all of the CMP rifles are inspected and test fired so you can feel 100% safe buying them. You just can't beat the CMP.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    You should be able to re-sell it for $800 and keep the plastic case. When they run out, the price should jump. Garands, probably Field Grades, are at gun shows and storefronts for $1000-ish I believe.

Order ammo and clips along with the rifle. CMP is the best source for both. If we ever meet up, I could give you a dozen clips or so. I'm knee deep in the damn things. The cat just choked on a Garand clip...

It depends on exactly what you get, but you can guarantee you're saving yourself several hundred dollars over buying retail. On top of that, all of the CMP rifles are inspected and test fired so you can feel 100% safe buying them. You just can't beat the CMP.

Dag, I had no idea CMP was that great of a deal. I'll get that app sent to tomorrow.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Well done. I 'spect that in the not-too-distant future, all who passed on these will be kicking themselves for having done so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom