CMP Advanced Maintenance Class! You build and bring home your own CMP Special!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    This sounds like a great class. $1,400 but you get to build and bring home your own rifle!

From the ad from CMP:

CMP Advanced Maintenance Class

Friday, November 1 – Sunday, November 3
    CMP Custom Shop
    1803 Coleman Rd, Anniston, Alabama

Basic Nomenclature

The Civilian Marksmanship Program is pleased to announce the first “CMP-AMC” or Advanced Maintenance Class for students with strong mechanical aptitude and a desire to learn how to work on their M1 Garand rifle. The first AMC class of 20 students will begin Friday, 1 November at the CMP’s Custom Shop in Anniston.

The three-day class is intended for individuals interested in knowing how the M1 Garand rifle functions in detail, as well as those desiring to know how to properly perform advanced maintenance procedures to their personal rifle(s). The class involves classroom lecture as well as hands-on shop time. Tools will be provided for students to use during the class.

Basic Functioning
    This class is not intended for gunsmiths or students with advanced knowledge of the M1 rifle. No prior armorer or shooting experience is required to attend the class. Students will each assemble from parts their own CMP Special rifle that is included in the AMC fee. Some of the key components of the class will include:

Component purpose and function
    Use of gauges
    Commercial barrel installation, chambering and headspace
    Component selection and inspection
    Fitting and proper assembly of a complete CMP Special rifle
    Some discussion of malfunctions and their remedies
    Accurizing techniques for the M1
    WHAT TO BRING: Students will only need to bring themselves, safety glasses and a shop apron.

ACCOMMODATIONS AND FEES. Individuals who attend the AMC in Anniston, Alabama, must arrange your own housing. There is a $1,400 fee for the class and includes the CMP Special Rifle that participants will build in the class and three lunches that are provided. To find accommodations in Anniston, visit http://www.thecmp.org/NM/AreaInfoAL.htm (Ask for the CMP Rate).

HOW TO APPLY. To apply for the CMP AMC, complete the APPLICATION FORM. Please submit the completed form online or email to armorers@thecmp.org. If you are accepted into the class, further instructions to order your rifle and submit your class fee will be sent to you. The class is expected to fill quickly and students will be accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis.

FOR MORE INFORMATION. If you want more information about CMP AMC, please contact John McLean via email at jmclean@thecmp.org or the CMP Custom Shop at (256) 835-8455, ext. 2114.

Attachments

• CMP M1 nomenclature.jpg
      CMP M1 nomenclature.jpg
      41.8 KB · Views: 201
    • CMP M1 functioning.jpg
      CMP M1 functioning.jpg
      25.9 KB · Views: 204

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Yeah ... and just out of curiosity, I checked to see if Amtrak runs to Anniston. It turns out that there's a direct line between DC and Anniston, and round trip is about $400-450 for coach. Business is a little higher. Not sure how they'd view a herd of guys coming back with rifle cases, but the mental picture is interesting.

andrewb

Jun 20, 2013
    Hopefully there will be one that doesn't fill up in < 2 hours. Anniston is only ~1 hr from my mom's house.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    This btw is one of the best marketing ideas I've seen in a while.

They are struggling to get rifles out the door. Come down and build them for us! Don't take it the wrong way I live CMP and I'd actually rather build one myself then just buy a special makes it more personal. Wonder if you can hand select any parts or if you are just handed a box of parts to work with.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    I think they are just exploring other revenue streams for once the serviceable Garands sell out. I like the idea, would be a nice mini vacation.

DHCraig

Aug 21, 2012
    South County
    I'd do it just to get a look inside- I'm betting they'll get a tour of the store/shop at least, and I bet a warehouse walk-thru too. The entire block where the Anniston store is has at least (that I saw anyway) 3 or 4 huge warehouses full of goodies. Imagine the parts piles for the builds too- travel & board aside, for $1400.00 you get a SGS worth $1040.00 - how cool is that? Going to have to catch the next offering within 30 minutes of the email to snag a spot though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cddrive

Latest threads

Top Bottom