• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    I just can't see paying $1,000 for the bottom of the barrel. There are nice 1911s out there in the $1,200-$2,000 range right now.

I have purchased four Colt 1911s recently off GunBroker, and three were arsenal rebuilds and likely refurbished after WWII. Average price: $1,098. Had the advantage of seeing what I was getting (not fond of the "pig in a poke" that one gets from CMP) and satisfied with each of them. Some were a mix of WWI and WWII parts.

A nicer/more correct Ithaca, Colt, Remington Rand will easily run $1400-2200 on GunBroker or a similar auction site.

The 1911 was my tote piece on Army active duty, 1963-84.

Lew--Ranger63

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    I'm sure they'll sell like hotcakes, but not to me. As has been stated and implied, $1000 for a mixmaster that has been rebuilt and refinished god-knows-how-many times just isn't appealing to me. I'd be all over $600, balk a little bit at $700, and be out at $800. It's not like these are going to be pre-A1 or original A1 models that have escaped the Army's use for many decades after being issued.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Did people think these things would sell for under 1K? 1K is a fair price for a mixed parts surplus 1911.

If they sold then for $500, every goof around would buy them all up and try to flip them for $1K on auction sites.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Did people think these things would sell for under 1K? 1K is a fair price for a mixed parts surplus 1911.

If they sold then for $500, every goof around would buy them all up and try to flip them for $1K on auction sites.

I predict people will be flipping them at $1k

Maxsplat

Apr 11, 2013
    Westmonster
    I was really hoping the price would be lower too. Was considering 1 for me and my father was very interested too. He carried one in 'Nam and has wanted an army issue for a long time. I may try and save for a couple of these but will have to really stretch any budget I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 1, 2012
    I was really hoping the price would be lower too. Was considering 1 for me and my father was very interested too. He carried one in 'Nam and has wanted an army issue for a loving time. I may try and save for a couple of these but will have to really stretch any budget I have.

hmmm... Freudian slip? or auto-correct tuned to your preferences? :innocent0
    (sorry, just had to bust your chops).

Seriously it'll be a while before these are available I bet, and even then they may have to do a lottery or something due to such limited quantities.
    And no guarantee that's the price either... it's just a guess.

<edit> dang, you fixed it !

Maxsplat

Apr 11, 2013
    Westmonster
    Yeah. Caught that afterwards. Multiple thoughts and the typing came through. He loved that pistol. Was gonna type he was loving the idea of getting one and well...we see what happened. Lol

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Im pretty surprised by that price, $1K for "rack grade" is pretty stiff. Low end 2ndary market isnt even that much.

They will sell every last one and would be stupid to charge any less. Surplus 1911s sell everyday in that range or higher.

I haven't seen one for less than $1000.00 in quite a while. I must not be looking in the right places.

I just can't see paying $1,000 for the bottom of the barrel. There are nice 1911s out there in the $1,200-$2,000 range right now.

Butcha' getta' purddy li'l certificate of authenticity from the price gouging CMP that sez it's an authentic "Bottom Of The Barrel Piece Of Shit".:D:lol::lol2:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

Dang! You done latched onto my secret business plan!

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county

Oh you mean much like the dealers do now and have been for the last 3 years with the M1 Garands:rolleyes:

Not every joe knows about the CMP, the point is to give those that buy from them a deal, Do i expect 500? NO, but 750-800 Yes for a good cond pistol. I can win a pistol on a auction for around 1000, so then why buy from CMP and go through the trouble of getting a Notary? filling out paper work etc?

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Oh you mean much like the dealers do now and have been for the last 3 years with the M1 Garands:rolleyes:

Not every joe knows about the CMP, the point is to give those that buy from them a deal, Do i expect 500? NO, but 750-800 Yes for a good cond pistol. I can win a pistol on a auction for around 1000, so then why buy from CMP and go through the trouble of getting a Notary? filling out paper work etc?

Exactly. Patience and you can find them for under $1k. But with CMP selling them for a minimum of $1k, that means everyone else will also, so CMP is now inflating pricing.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Exactly. Patience and you can find them for under $1k. But with CMP selling them for a minimum of $1k, that means everyone else will also, so CMP is now inflating pricing.

I think CMP will deflate surplus 1911 prices. CMP is increasing the supply of surplus 1911s, and the more they sell, the fewer buyers there will be for surplus 1911s in other markets. The same thing is happening with M1s, they would selling for a lot more money except CMP is flooding the market with them. A lot of guys are neckbearding M1s with the expectation that prices will sharply rise when CMP runs out.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I think CMP will deflate surplus 1911 prices. CMP is increasing the supply of surplus 1911s, and the more they sell, the fewer buyers there will be for surplus 1911s in other markets. The same thing is happening with M1s, they would selling for a lot more money except CMP is flooding the market with them. A lot of guys are neckbearding M1s with the expectation that prices will sharply rise when CMP runs out.

Holy Crap! You are alive after all!!

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County

This ^^^ might happen with the less than desirable 1911's and A1's though with the upper echelons of those guns going the other way as the CMP prolly has very few (at best) to none of the premium all original 98% to 100% condition guns at all. The NON CMP guns out there that are all correct and in 95% and better condition will at least maintain, if not, increase in value considerably. Bear in mind, CMP thinks they havva' gol' mine here and they're gonna' milk that sucker dry for every titty drop they can suck out'uv'it, that's why they've had and still now havva' "auction" to sell their primo and/or rarer guns to maximize their profit potential by rippin' off the consumer by allowing the consumer to rip off themselves by participating in it and win. Remember, condition and originality is the name of the game, meaning that gun in 99% or better condition is all correct and all original as per the day it was assembled at it's birthplace factory and received it's serial number.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008

How many people are selling Garands for less than CMP? I havent seen anyone. CMP has set the bottom price, even though CMP Garands are much better than say the Korean imports that are shot to heck. Its hard to find a Garand for less than CMP. This will also be true for the 1911's when they finally start selling them, possibly before since they are already stating pricing.They will have fully functional parts master 1911's starting at least for $1k.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    How many people are selling Garands for less than CMP? I havent seen anyone. CMP has set the bottom price, even though CMP Garands are much better than say the Korean imports that are shot to heck. Its hard to find a Garand for less than CMP. This will also be true for the 1911's when they finally start selling them, possibly before since they are already stating pricing.They will have fully functional parts master 1911's starting at least for $1k.

I agree !, At the shows i see dealers and non dealers all the time with Garands on the table for 1200.00+ with CMP Tags and boasting Oh its a CMP rifle!, even when they were 625.00 Shipped they were doing this.. IN Fact the ONLY person I Have seen sell a Garand for the same price as they bought it from CMP was Drmsparks !

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I've not seen anyone walk away with a $1200 service grade at a show.
    $800 service grade yes.
    I've seen $1100 and $1200 mix masters sold at shows. Yes guy walked away after talking down just $50
    Seems like CMP+ $100-$200 moves quickly
    I have seen people buy 2-3 then sell all but the one he wanted for a modest amount more to "enhance his collection"

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    they could very well be WW1 era too, many of those frames got recycled several times.

Yep. A couple of years ago I picked up a 1918 Black Army frame and slide with mostly WWII parts and a postwar USGI barrel. Interestingly in the rebuild process they left on the flat mainspring housing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom