• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    I was down in Huntsville, Alabama a couple weeks ago for a wedding, and decided to make a 2 hour (one way) detour to the South Store in Anniston.

They had plenty of rifles, but none of them were very nice. Mostly beat up Danish returns, and pitted and refinished Filipino returns. Only a few of them gauged less than a 3 for ME. Many gauged TE of 5 or more.

I really wanted a Winchester, but they were all rack or field grades that had worn out replacement barrels.

The nice fellow working there decided to go in the back and get another rack of service grades. This one was on that rack and I snagged it.

Very nice Springfield made in November 1944 with what appear to be it’s original finish. It also seems to have mostly correct parts with the exception of the post-war rear sight. The OP-Rod is even un-cut. ME is a 0 and TE is a 1. This thing obviously saw little to no use.

They also had two dozen or so Turkish HK33 shipping crates that were repurposed to ship M1 Garand’s. This crate apparently had 25 H&R rifles packed into it. Much better quality than the 3 Mosin Crates I have. It’s drenched in cosmoline though, so I’m going to have to spend some time cleaning it. The pictures were taken prior to me wiping it down.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Nice! Was lucky enough to have the opportunity to pick my CMP Springfield when they did the one-time CMP "travelling show" and stopped in Harrisburg. My brother and BIN drove up with me and when we walked into the main hall the first question my brother asked was "wonder where they're set up". My response was "Look for a huge crowd". And that's what we saw at the end of the hall. Ya picked your poison and they took it back to Anniston to ship when the paperwork cleared. Beat doing the lottery thing as I was originally going to try field grade but they were too rough and ended up with service grade. Def. worth the extra coin (at that time FG was I think $350 and SG was $550).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom