• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eah990

Feb 25, 2010
    so I just bought a CMMG MK3 308 about a week ago and put 30 rounds through it. This is what happened the buffer tube, so I contacted CMMG and they claim this is normal. In my mind this is absolutely not normal, and is garbage. What do you think?

Attachments

• photo-1.JPG
      photo-1.JPG
      19.2 KB · Views: 270

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Burrs on the BCG's tail.

A good polishing of the tail will make that a bad memory. I'll see if I can upload some pics from my phone to show what I mean.

eah990

Feb 25, 2010
    that would be great. I figured the short markings going around the circumference of the buffer tube are from the retaining pin. But I cant figure out what made the two larger marks.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Can't help with the 2 longer scratches, but the small ones around the buffer face - I feel safe in saying there's some type of burr on the BCG's tail.

Of course, I could always be wrong - wouldn't be the first or last time. :)

(Still waiting on the pictures to hit my e-mail from my phone.)

eah990

Feb 25, 2010
    ok thanks for posting that picture. I will take my bcg out when i get home and see if I can find any burs with my finger. Im mostly pissed CMMG customer service said it was normal, probably my last CMMG product for awhile.

Dec 6, 2011
    At least it wasn't a 3600 LWRC REPR.........like mine. The carrier can be easily fixed with some fine sand paper and a flat surface. Buffers aren't really expensive.

eah990

Feb 25, 2010
    thanks for your help. You were 100% right, there is a noticeable bur on the BCG that is causing the damage. I emailed CMMG asking for a new bolt carrier group and buffer spring. I will see if they follow through.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    thanks for your help. You were 100% right, there is a noticeable bur on the BCG that is causing the damage. I emailed CMMG asking for a new bolt carrier group and buffer spring. I will see if they follow through.

Glad you got it figured out. :thumbsup:

That's probably the last time I'm right this year... :lol2:

BenL

John Galt Speaking.

They''ll probably tell you to send the gun back (or at least the BCG.) 308 BCGs aren't cheap. Good luck.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    When I was 308 AR shopping I remember reading somewhere that the CMMGs also have some sort of odd dimensional compatibility issues with the other DPMS/SR25 patterned guns. I'll see if I can dig up that info if you're interested.

I've seen government M16 and M4s with marked up buffers like that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom