• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AZ Shooter

Jun 10, 2012
    Consider me to be a new shooter. How should I clean and maintain my handgun (Beretta PX4 Storm)? What products and methods should I use?

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Consider me to be a new shooter. How should I clean and maintain my handgun (Beretta PX4 Storm)? What products and methods should I use?

Read your owners manual - it should tell you how to service strip, and clean it. Dont just run a bore snake down the bore, and think that is all you need to do. Make sure you apply lube where your manual states to do so as well. Im a big fan of keeping guns clean - especially semi autos, and especially if its gun your life might depend on.

Your manual should also give you an interval (how many rounds etc) before you clean it.

If you dont have a manual, either contact Beretta, or go to their webiste, and see if they have a manual that can be downloaded (must gun companies do).

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    For cleaning, I personally prefer MPro-7. Lubrication, I prefer Slip2000.

The videos posted by hodgepodge seem decent. The MOST IMPORTANT THING with the Px4/8000 Beretta models is to keep the barrel well-lubricated since it contacts the locking block and slide over most of its external surface. Every Px4 that has crossed my bench for "failure to feed" or problems extracting so far have come in bone dry. These are fairly decent and accurate pistols.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me. :thumbsup:

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    This is a general statement for my handguns. I don't own, nor have I ever cleaned a PX4 Storm.

I use Wipe-Out foaming bore cleaner for the bore and a Tipton carbon fiber rod. I use Hoppes #9 to clean the breech face.

As others suggested, read the manual and oil/lube where specified. Also note if they recommend not using certain cleaning products/chemicals.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    There are many threads here about cleaning. Do a search and you'll find a ton of info. Cleaning firearms is like most anything you do. There is more than one way to do it and do it right but my way is best. Just ask anyone here.

AZ Shooter

Jun 10, 2012
    What is the general opinion here on bore snakes? As was pointed out earlier, of course there's more to cleaning than just running a bore snake through it, but for its intended purpose, are these generally pretty good...or worthless?

I've also seen ads for "pick sets". Now we're getting far beyond the scope of what the manual says, as well as beyond anything I know. Is this something I would ever need or want to get, and why?

Copper

Shock Trooper In Stooper
    Jan 26, 2012
    I love the boresnake, and brass brushes, picks, steel wool, etc....

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Breakfree CLP is cheap and works, I hear. I like Ballistol. It worked well when I tried it last week, and really shines up wood grips. It works a little slowly as a cleaner. I like a very little bit of Tetragrease on the slide after clean. I used Eezox on my gun before storing it. I hope that it will be fine in a year when I return home.

Ruzo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2011
    Phoenix, MD.
    For cleaning I prefer to post as many Bull Shit Threads I can till I get to...no wait, I mean I use Bore Scrubber.:D

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    What is the general opinion here on bore snakes? As was pointed out earlier, of course there's more to cleaning than just running a bore snake through it, but for its intended purpose, are these generally pretty good...or worthless?

I've also seen ads for "pick sets". Now we're getting far beyond the scope of what the manual says, as well as beyond anything I know. Is this something I would ever need or want to get, and why?

I'll share my experience with boresnakes. They work OK for cleaning on the spot - like at the range where maybe you have fired a bunch or rounds, and things are getting dirty, and field stripping is not ideal. I use one in my Thompson, until I get it home from the range. But it does not clean anywhere as good as using a cleaning rod/patch/brush and good bore solvent. Ive ran patches and brush after running a boresnake, and still get out dirt that the boresnake wont get out. I view them more as a convience rather then an extensive cleaning tool.

I have also ran a boresnake into the barrel on my 1911 - field stripped. Looking down the bore - you still could see some residue afterwards, until I cleaned it with rod, brush, solvent and patches.

Make sure when you clean the bore on your pistol - you clean from the breech to muzzle - not muzzle to breach!

As for those pick sets - the plastic ones are actually very handy tools. I have a set from Gunslick - inexpensive. They work great for getting crud out of hard to reach areas, like around the extractor hook & channel. They also work good for getting crud out of the slide channel -when you use it with a patch or small piece of paper towel.

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    I use a Bore Snake, a cleaning kit with a rod and brass brushes, patches, Q-tips, paper towel, Breakfree CLP, Hoppes #9 and RemOil.

I clean after every trip to the range, but don't go crazy on the cleaning, unless it slips my mind, then I use the cleaning kit

The Bore Snake is used most of the time by itself with a little bit of CLP.

My last trip to the range, I cleaned 2 rifles, 2 shot guns - hadn't been gone over in a while, and my pistol. Total time was almost 3 hours. The 2 shotguns had been a little neglected, so I took extra time on them.

AZ Shooter

Jun 10, 2012
    Make sure when you clean the bore on your pistol - you clean from the breech to muzzle - not muzzle to breach!

What happens if you go muzzle to breach? In one of the videos linked to earlier, the guy in the video was pushing the brush through from the breach end, then pulling it back through. One of the commenters said he shouldn't do this, but the video poster replied that it didn't matter much, and that if he didn't pull the brush back through, he'd have to remove the brush from the rod since the handle of the rod wouldn't go through the barrel, and that would quickly get tedious.

So why is it advised to not go muzzle to breach, and does this include not pulling the brush back?

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    What happens if you go muzzle to breach? In one of the videos linked to earlier, the guy in the video was pushing the brush through from the breach end, then pulling it back through. One of the commenters said he shouldn't do this, but the video poster replied that it didn't matter much, and that if he didn't pull the brush back through, he'd have to remove the brush from the rod since the handle of the rod wouldn't go through the barrel, and that would quickly get tedious.

So why is it advised to not go muzzle to breach, and does this include not pulling the brush back?

If you are cleaning from the breach end towards the muzzle - its ok to push the brush out of the muzzle and pull it back it. Its the cleaning rod nicking the crown you have to watch for, which can happen if your just feed a brush/cleaning rod from the muzzle end. You should let the brush go through the muzzle, and not stop part way in the bore and pull back.

For bore solvents - Im a fan of Shooters Choice over Hoppes. Hoppes 9 works pretty good for carbon, but Shooters Choice seems to clean jacket materials better -especially in a rifle. Shooters Choice does have a small amount of Ammonia in it - you can smell it.

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    If you are cleaning from the breach end towards the muzzle - its ok to push the brush out of the muzzle and pull it back it. Its the cleaning rod nicking the crown you have to watch for, which can happen if your just feed a brush/cleaning rod from the muzzle end. You should let the brush go through the muzzle, and not stop part way in the bore and pull back.

FWIW, some folks, myself included, try not to go in the opposite direction of the round when cleaning if possible. Unfortunately this is not always possible or requires the use of something like an Otis kit for certain rifles.(the AK comes to mind) If you think about it, it does make sense, as going back towards the breach is going to deposit some fouling back into the chamber. I think this applies more for rifle cleaning, than pistol cleaning, but for me, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

ColonelHurtz

A pile of little arms.
    Nov 13, 2008

Picks are just plain handy to have around the house and useful for all sorts of things.
    For guns they are good for pulling O-rings, E-clips and springs and getting into little nooks and crannies to clean.
    Lots of guns have some little spot where carbon or crud builds up and it's usually too tight to get a brush in.
    If you find yourself using Q-tips, toothpicks and popsicle sticks when you clean then a set of picks is a good investment.

Cheap dental tools are a good way to go as is the Craftsman set. http://www.sears.com/craftsman-4-pc-pick-set/p-00947090000P
    I certainly wouldn't call them a must have but for something like reseating an AK hammer spring they make a world of difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom