• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AJ 30-06

Nov 3, 2007
    Been trying different loads to sight in my Rem. 700 06. Finally selected Federal 165 Gameking. Shot 20 rounds at Hap Baker yesterday and gun's shooting exceptionally well. I'm thinking of not cleaning it and leaving it alone. Don't expect to shoot more than five rounds over opening day weekend. Any thoughts on just leaving the bore alone or cleaning it.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Your rifle will tell you when it's time to clean it, if it is grouping well then leave it be. My rifle never gets a thorough cleaning any more unless it's going into storage for a length of time. I used to be the type that cleaned my guns until they were spotless untill and old wise man shared with me that most rifles shoot better when they get fouled to a certain point. I tried this and it proved correct, my 700 doesn't start grouping well until it has had about 30 rounds through her after a thorough cleaning, when she gets too dirty the groups begin to open up, right about 120 rounds.

This is assuming a bolt rifle, I always clean my AR after shooting, I don't clean the bore till shiny but I do ensure that the bolt and all moving areas are spotless.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I agree completely with above and if you clean now you can expect your next shot to be a flyer on a clean barrel.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Your rifle will tell you when it's time to clean it, if it is grouping well then leave it be. My rifle never gets a thorough cleaning any more unless it's going into storage for a length of time. I used to be the type that cleaned my guns until they were spotless untill and old wise man shared with me that most rifles shoot better when they get fouled to a certain point. I tried this and it proved correct, my 700 doesn't start grouping well until it has had about 30 rounds through her after a thorough cleaning, when she gets too dirty the groups begin to open up, right about 120 rounds.

This is assuming a bolt rifle, I always clean my AR after shooting, I don't clean the bore till shiny but I do ensure that the bolt and all moving areas are spotless.

How do you feel about barrel break-in? Do you go through some break-in procedure, or just get out there and shoot?

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    How do you feel about barrel break-in? Do you go through some break-in procedure, or just get out there and shoot?

Unless it is a very expensive or match grade barrel then I just shoot it. I don't think with normal off the rack type guns that barrel break in is necessary, this is merely my opinion though and there are differing thoughts as far as breaking in a barrel is concerned.

AJ 30-06

Nov 3, 2007
    Being a relatively new gun owner and this being my first post to this forum, I had a similar question. When I first bought my 700 I took it to the range a shot about 80 rounds out of it over a few hour period. Before that, the gun had been shot no more than 10 times and cleaned once or twice. I called my friend to tell him and there was silence. He finally said, "Bad news--I think you ruined your gun." I've read a lot since then, and many shoot and clean like maniacs for the first 100 or so. So, I've been a little paranoid since then. It's grouping well now, but it gets extremely hot after 10 rounds and starts shoting all over the place after that. I guess the paranoia has at least helped to improve my shooting skills, though. Thanks for the advice!

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    . . .When I first bought my 700 I took it to the range a shot about 80 rounds out of it over a few hour period. Before that, the gun had been shot no more than 10 times and cleaned once or twice. I called my friend to tell him and there was silence. He finally said, "Bad news--I think you ruined your gun."
    No, you didn't ruin anything.
    I've read a lot since then, and many shoot and clean like maniacs for the first 100 or so. So, I've been a little paranoid since then.
    There are many opinions on break-in, but in a factory barrel, the value is questionable. It seems to do the most noticeable good in a mid-grade custom barrel, where the overall barrel quality is good enough to benefit, but still rough enough to show change. Top end customs are already as smooth as they're gonna get, and you can shoot as many "break-in rounds" as you want through the average factory tube and still not change the circumferential tool marks. Most factory barrels actually shoot better as the fouling builds up, to a point, and as 3rdRcn said above, your rifle will tell you when it needs cleaning.
    It's grouping well now, but it gets extremely hot after 10 rounds and starts shoting all over the place after that.
    This is not uncommon for a sporter-weight barrel that is not free-floated, and ten shots in rapid succession will create some serious heat in almost any centerfire. As the barrel heats up, it expands slightly and usually either pushes hard against something (the stock's barrel channel) and changes it's zero, or, it lightly buzzes in several places and shoots inconsistently. Make sure your action screws are good and tight.
    I guess the paranoia has at least helped to improve my shooting skills, though. Thanks for the advice!
    No need to be paranoid, but shooting excessively fast does built heat inordinately quickly, which will then promote accelerated wear. The good news is that the .30-06 isn't terribly erosive and isn't prone to the same erosion rates as "overbore" cartridges like the .22-250 or .243.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Being a relatively new gun owner and this being my first post to this forum, I had a similar question. When I first bought my 700 I took it to the range a shot about 80 rounds out of it over a few hour period. Before that, the gun had been shot no more than 10 times and cleaned once or twice. I called my friend to tell him and there was silence. He finally said, "Bad news--I think you ruined your gun." I've read a lot since then, and many shoot and clean like maniacs for the first 100 or so. So, I've been a little paranoid since then. It's grouping well now, but it gets extremely hot after 10 rounds and starts shoting all over the place after that. I guess the paranoia has at least helped to improve my shooting skills, though. Thanks for the advice!

No harm. From what I've read, even if you did "incorrectly break in a barrel", a barrel can be "re-broken in" according to an article by the owner of Loather Walther (barrel maker). I had read an article that he had written for a bench shooter's website about barrel break-in.

Barrel break-in is one of those things that "experts" are all over the spectrum about, from "not necessary" to ridiculously complicated regiments that involve thorough cleanings between rounds for over 100 rounds. Out of paranoia, I generally do something in between, unless it's a chrome-lined barrel. The only rifle I didn't "break in" was a .22 mag, and it shoots like crap. However, that could have more to do with the fact it's a $150 Marlin, than barrel break-in.

AJ 30-06

Nov 3, 2007
    Thanks to everyone who responded to my novice question about cleaning before the big day. I listened and left the gun fouled with 30 rounds. I'm pleased to report the gun performed amazingly well and I took one 6 point and two does in the last week. Confidence in gun and shooting ability is now high, although need for more deer meat at this point is very low. Guess I'll clean the gun now! Great forum. Thanks again everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom