• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krob

Oct 9, 2007
    bushwood md
    hi all

i am recently getting back into shooting again are there any recommended cleaning products that people are using that seem to work well

thank you

Roksfr

Ardent Safety Training
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 14, 2020
    Southern AA
    I like products from Otis

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Lately, I’ve been using Ballistol. Not great at any particular task, but is non toxic, doesn’t smell bad, and doesn’t destroy aluminum or wood.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    Hoppes 9 Bore Cleaner for the barrel and BreakFree CLP for the rest of the gun.

After drying it all off, a light coating of BreakFree LP on all metal surfaces.

Lube rails and outside of barrel with light coating of Mil-Comm TW25B.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Lately, I’ve been using Ballistol. Not great at any particular task, but is non toxic, doesn’t smell bad, and doesn’t destroy aluminum or wood.
    Or leather, plastic, and is OK on cuts and it will not gum up. I keep coming back to this stuff for the past 20+ years.

One of the most astonishing features of Ballistol is its versatility. There are other products on the market, but none have the same wide range of applications and capabilities as Ballistol.
    Ballistol can be used to lubricate, penetrate, clean, protect, and preserve firearms, leather, knives, marine equipment, fishing gear, tools, locks, wood, metal, rubber, and so much more.

FIREARMS Firearm Cleaning Lubricant

Keeps firearms protected – lock, stock and barrel.
    Ballistol cleans and removes all types of bore fouling. Cleaning with Ballistol will save you time, minimize the need for brushing, and also form a protective film on your firearm. Due to its slight alkalinity, Ballistol neutralizes and dissolves black powder and corrosive ammo residue. In addition, Ballistol will beautify gunstocks, and prevent them from drying out. As a lubricant, Ballistol will never gum up or harden. With Ballistol, your entire firearm will stay lubricated and protected.

LEATHER Leather Care

It’ll help save your hide.
    Leather that is frequently exposed to moisture or high humidity will become hard and brittle if not treated correctly. Ballistol will keep all smooth leather soft, and will effectively protect leather against the effects of water, insects and mold. Use Ballistol on boots, shoes, gloves, holsters, slings, saddles, baseball gloves and other leather products.

WOOD Wood Care

Beautifies and Seals Wood Surfaces
    Ballistol maintains, protects, preserves and rejuvenates unpainted wooden surfaces. It regenerates natural wood and brings out the wood grain, and helps antique furniture and old, dry, dull wood regain its natural silky glow. Ballistol also protects wood against damage resulting from humidity and insects.

HOME AND GARDEN Home and Garden

Your handyman in a can.
    Ballistol lubricates anything that squeaks or binds, including locks, hinges, sliding doors, windows, fans, moving parts in AC units, faucets, gardening tools and more. Read about Ballistol’s other unique features and uses.

KNIVES, TOOLS AND HARDWARE Metal Care

The right tool for the job.
    Ballistol lubricates, penetrates, cleans, protects and preserves metal, plastic, rubber and wood. Ballistol is an outstanding penetrating oil, creeps into the finest cracks, and loosens nuts and bolts. It can also be used as a cutting/boring oil.

MARINE, ROAD AND TRAIL Motor Vehicles

The perfect oil, no matter where you are.
    Ballistol can be used in motor compartments, as well as on joints, links, wire pulls and around battery terminals. It also protects electrical contacts, beautifies faded gel coats and lubricates zippers, push buttons and winches. Ballistol is great for fishing rods, reels and tackle. In addition, it lubricates autos, motorcycles, bicycles, rollerblades, skateboards, and ski and sports equipment. Ballistol protects all camping gear.

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    I agree with several others here. Ballistol, Hoppes, and Breakfree CLP are all good products. I also like Rem Oil and Dry Lube from Remington. I have Hoppes, and sometimes use it, but day to day I use Breakfree CLP and Rem Oil on the rails. I use the dry lube in places where I may want some extra lubrication but with less opportunity to collect dirt and dust.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I thought that this was interesting regarding gun cleaning. I’ve been spending a lot of time with my nephew lately, and this was a guy who shot guns for a living - 10 years as a green beret. He has a few products he prefers:

Hoppes No. 9 solvent
    Hoppes gun oil lubricant
    Hoppes bore snakes

He also uses brushes, jags and brass scrapers, but the three products above were what he used most. I figure he probably knows a thing or two about it.

Jul 1, 2012

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I prefer Bore Tech over wipe out, but I'd like to give breakthrough clean a try as well. I have heard good reports about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom