• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gdubyacobb

Mar 6, 2009
    Patagonia Arizona
    First off, even though I don't live in MD anymore I keep coming back here cause MD Shooters has a better "feel" than any other gun forum.
    Okay now the question:
    I spent the last two days back country camping and back road driving in my CJ in southern AZ (right on the Mexican border) with the AR on the back seat.
    I never fired it once but it is filthy with super fine dust and sand.
    I never use spray and run off cleaners. I always clean with the oily rags in my kit the way my Marine father taught me.
    I don't want to get my rag all gritty so; should I wipe it down with another damp/oily rag (to pick up the dirt) or just dust it off with an dry old tshirt or something? (Talking about the outside, prior to cleaning inside)
    Hopefully someone understands and can answer my question.
    Thanks!

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Thought I'd get a chuckle from you with that one.

Haven't had real fine dirt stick to my AR yet, but then again we don't have that fine dusty dirt in SoMd, at least in January anyways.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Do you have access to compressed air? Otherwise hose it down with clp and let the grit run off.

THIS!

You dont need to clean off the dust, just add some Syn Motor Oil to the carrier and she will chug right along if its a well built AR.

If you can dont use GI mags and buy magpuls. Magpuls run better when gritty than G.I. do. Mags are a big failure point for the AR when it does fail, so eliminate the waek point and get PMAGS.

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    Do you have access to compressed air? Otherwise hose it down with clp and let the grit run off.

THIS!

You dont need to clean off the dust, just add some Syn Motor Oil to the carrier and she will chug right along if its a well built AR.

x2. Buy a couple cans of air at Office Depot. Also a couple of thin bristle paint brushes at your local hardware store. Both of those worked well after dust storms when I was deployed.

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    AK's like Vodka to clean the action, pee to clean the bore (Pee with lots of Vodka in it), and Motor Oil to lube, preferrably used motor oil from chernobyl.

This is the proper way to clean an AK. But instead of motor oil, I use bacon grease to lube it. It adds to the great smell of burnt gun powder.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    After "extreme" conditions like me falling in a swamp and finding my gun by stepping on it I use the hose/tub of soapy water and brush to dissasemble and clean everything followed by a good detail clean and lube.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I use dishwashing soap, tooth brush......rinse with water

Boil a big pot of water, use this to do a final rinse. pour onto disassembled parts ( assemblies) with a laddle or cup. make sure that the barrel set vertical to allow for it to drain and air dry.

The hot water will heat up all parts and will immediately dry out. lightly oil surfaces with mobil 1. heavy oil on the bolt group. A hair dryer may also come in handy. ( I use this procedure for cleaning M16's/ ARs that are exposed to salt water, mud, fine dust, suppressor soot and other extreme grime.or AKs/ PSL with corrosive ammo)

For dusty areas, I use " pledge" multi surface cleaner/ wax on exterior surfaces... It repels dust

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom