• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    I did a search and didn't find anything, so hopefully this is a new question.

I have 2 rifles with chrome lined barrels. A Romanian AES-10B RPK and a PSL/ROMAK3. I've been cleaning them with hoppes 9 and Windex if I've shot corrosive ammo with a Dewey coated rod, muzzle guide/protector and patches.

After hearing the praises of Wipe-Out foam discussed here, I purchased a few cans and have been using it on my handguns and non-chromed barrels. It's working great and really getting my firearms cleaned up nicely.

I want to make sure my chrome lined barrels are just as clean. Does anyone have any advice/tips/products on a good cleaning regimen for them and is Wipe-Out safe to use on the chrome lined barrels? I know the can says it should be safe, but I'd like some real world input before I use it.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Safe. Chrome is very stable and won't react to anything in Wipe-Out.

The key to getting the corrosive salts removed before cleaning is plain old water. It dissolves them; cleaning fluids will not. I like to get a nice steaming mug full and pour it through the bore and gas system. The hotter the better so it evaporates quickly. If you want, mix a little Ballistol in which will leave a film of oil after the water evaporates.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    when the belt feds (boss's not mine) get ragged with corrosive ammo, WD40 or pb blaster at the mountain keeps em stable til we get em to the shop......then hoppes9/liquid wd40 mix in large amounts.

never used wipeout on corrosives.....i have used it on handguns.

its safe on chrome. pretty much anything is.

I used sweets on a chrome bore, and like an idiot forgot about it for a couple days......normally that would be very bad......didn't hurt the chrome one bit.

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    I use a turkey baster to inject the boiling water down the bore to remove the salts. Works great and not a drop goes on the counter. Then wipe out to clean and a lil oil afterwards.

machman1967

Aug 30, 2009
    Frederick
    Safe. Chrome is very stable and won't react to anything in Wipe-Out.

The key to getting the corrosive salts removed before cleaning is plain old water. It dissolves them; cleaning fluids will not. I like to get a nice steaming mug full and pour it through the bore and gas system. The hotter the better so it evaporates quickly. If you want, mix a little Ballistol in which will leave a film of oil after the water evaporates.

Interesting you should say that cause, (don't laugh now:lol2:) my wife just read a passage out of one of her "Little house on the prairie" books to me, and it explained how her father (Pa, that is) cleaned his rifle barrel with boiling water, (hotter the better to evaporate it quick), of course followed it up with some oil (maybe even lard?)

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Just picked up some wipe out and accelerator from Scotts. Wow this so much easier and faster it isn't even funny. And some guns I considered clean enough before still had plenty blue in them.

TheWhiteBuffalo

Not Impressed
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hughesville, MD
    Guys, Windex has ammonia and is corrosive, don't use on guns.

The concentration of ammonia in windex is so diluted, it doesn't do any harm. It is just enough ammonia to help it evaporate.

That being said, I would never advise to use straight ammonia or any substantial concentrations of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom