• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Go to the ad, then click on their screenname. It should take you to a summary page of their ads. On the left should be their feedback and itll say leave feedback.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Go to the ad,

I actually saved a link to the ad so thanks.

Assuming I didn't, when I view classifieds it only shows the open ads. There is a drop down box on the left below "Search" but open is the only option. How do see closed ads?

silver78

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2009
    Somewhat related.

What happens if a buyer doesn't respond? I can't mark it "unpaid".

I assume this is the bucket of 22 ammo you had on the classifieds.

As an someone who has been selling on MDS and AR15.com for over 10 years I can tell you what I would do. First I would send the buyer a polite but firm message stating that if he can't show up to close the deal within say 48 hours the deal is off. Then I would re-list the item and move on. What I would not do is trash the buyer. I know you are pissed and you have every right to be annoyed as I have experienced the same feelings when dealing with an unreliable buyer. But I have found arguing/trashing the unreliable buyer to be a waste of time and effort and why would you want to argue with an unreliable person? Just move on. It's not like you got ripped of. He didn't steal your ammo. You still have it and can find another buyer.

I will also take this opportunity to once again say that I do not like the commit to buy button since I have had more than one buyer back out after using the commit to buy button. No other gun web board that I know of uses this button.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland

As an someone who has been selling on MDS and AR15.com for over 10 years I can tell you what I would do. First I would send the buyer a polite but firm message stating that if he can't show up to close the deal within say 48 hours the deal is off. Then I would re-list the item and move on. What I would not do is trash the buyer. I know you are pissed and you have every right to be annoyed as I have experienced the same feelings when dealing with an unreliable buyer. But I have found arguing/trashing the unreliable buyer to be a waste of time and effort and why would you want to argue with an unreliable person? Just move on. It's not like you got ripped of. He didn't steal your ammo. You still have it and can find another buyer.

I will also take this opportunity to once again say that I do not like the commit to buy button since I have had more than one buyer back out after using the commit to buy button. No other gun web board that I know of uses this button.

I don't think he was asking if he should blast the deadbeat buyer...just how to mark the item so he could maybe resell it to an actual buyer like myself...who shows up when he hits the commit to buy button. ;)

That being said, I also think the "Commit To Buy" button is worthless. I used it on a handgun I wanted to purchase. The seller reneged and that was the end of it. There is no recourse, so what is its purpose? I chose not to throw the person's name out there but know the deal is over so why bother?

Being a seller, I absolutely will give the person negative feedback if they hit the commit button and then disappear and never follow through...especially since that closes your ad and takes away the potential to sell to an actual buyer who shows up.....

silver78

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2009
    Being a seller, I absolutely will give the person negative feedback if they hit the commit button and then disappear and never follow through...especially since that closes your ad and takes away the potential to sell to an actual buyer who shows up.....

Let me explain why I don't do this. Yes I have had a fair number of buyers back out of deals over the years. Maybe 10% of the total. But I remember what happened to another guy who went after a buyer who backed out of a deal on another gun website. Let's call the seller a good seller (GS) and the buyer an unreliable buyer (UB).

GS was a known forum contributor who as best as I can tell is a good guy. GS put a part in the classifieds and UB said he would buy it. But then UB backed out so GS gave UB a -1 negative feedback. Well even though UB was completely at fault UB gave GS a -1 negative feedback as revenge for the well deserved negative feedback he received. So now GS has a completely undeserved -1 in his feedback score. He had to beg and plead his case with the board admins to get rid of the -1 score. his was a time wasting lose situation for both the seller and the Board admin.

So to me given the way most gun boards are set up for feedback scores it's just not worth it to get into an argument with an unreliable buyer.

I think it reminds me of this advice:

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

But in the end that's why I really do not like the commit to buy button. As I said before the only gun board that uses it is MDS. When I am on say 24hourcampfire I can look at the buyer's profile/posts and decide if I want to deal with him. Of course as long as the CTB button exists on MDS I will respect it. Not my website not my rules. Overall this is a great site.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    If the seller is not misrepresenting what he is selling, and short of heart attack or death of the buyer, I see no acceptable reason for someone to back out of a commit to buy.

I used to see this on ebay (and it may still exist) The high bidder is someone with ZERO feedback, and he or she never pays, never had any intention of paying and probably gets a new ebay ID and screws the next buyer.

We don't need these deadbeats here.

PS I never did find out where to see the ad where I committed to buy, other than having saved the link

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Let me explain why I don't do this. Yes I have had a fair number of buyers back out of deals over the years. Maybe 10% of the total. But I remember what happened to another guy who went after a buyer who backed out of a deal on another gun website. Let's call the seller a good seller (GS) and the buyer an unreliable buyer (UB).

GS was a known forum contributor who as best as I can tell is a good guy. GS put a part in the classifieds and UB said he would buy it. But then UB backed out so GS gave UB a -1 negative feedback. Well even though UB was completely at fault UB gave GS a -1 negative feedback as revenge for the well deserved negative feedback he received. So now GS has a completely undeserved -1 in his feedback score. He had to beg and plead his case with the board admins to get rid of the -1 score. his was a time wasting lose situation for both the seller and the Board admin.

So to me given the way most gun boards are set up for feedback scores it's just not worth it to get into an argument with an unreliable buyer.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

But in the end that's why I really do not like the commit to buy button. As I said before the only gun board that uses it is MDS. When I am on say 24hourcampfire I can look at the buyer's profile/posts and decide if I want to deal with him. Of course as long as the CTB button exists on MDS I will respect it. Not my website not my rules. Overall this is a great site.

This is why eBay removed the ability for sellers to leave feedback for buyers. Too much "revenge feedback"

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    If the seller is not misrepresenting what he is selling, and short of heart attack or death of the buyer, I see no acceptable reason for someone to back out of a commit to buy.

I used to see this on ebay (and it may still exist) The high bidder is someone with ZERO feedback, and he or she never pays, never had any intention of paying and probably gets a new ebay ID and screws the next buyer.

We don't need these deadbeats here.

PS I never did find out where to see the ad where I committed to buy, other than having saved the link

When I used CTB, the site sent a PM saying I committed to a deal with the seller. A link to the ad was in the PM. Is that not the case for you or was I just fortunate?

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    When I used CTB, the site sent a PM saying I committed to a deal with the seller. A link to the ad was in the PM. Is that not the case for you or was I just fortunate?

Thanks

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
      Capture.JPG
      20.1 KB · Views: 257

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Let me explain why I don't do this.......

But in the end that's why I really do not like the commit to buy button......
    Overall this is a great site.

No doubt or debate about MDSHOOTERS being a great site.

I have no problems cancelling a deal with someone as things do come up that necessitates it.

Like AACO above, I have issue when someone hits the CTB button, then simply ignores any further communication, or even tries to grow a pair and simply back out of the deal.

Myself, as a seller, I always specify NOT to hit the button until after a deal is made.

With the dreaded "button", and the reputation of this site, deadbeat buyers and dishonest sellers are not expected here like they are on Ebay and Craigslist....but I 100% see the point about a deadbeat buyer/seller also posting bogus feedback.

Maybe we should have a Buyer/Seller feedback sub-forum?

And/or some sort of Classifieds moderator. That might also trim down on the people who post, and repost their ads every few days instead of letting them run their 3 week course...and from posting classified ads in other forums.

Just a thought.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster

Hey Silver,

Yup, it was the bucket of 22. I should have realized that when a "one post wonder" commits to buy, it probably isn't going to work out too well. Luckily another member was interested as well. He's a good guy :thumbsup:

I wasn't planning on trashing anyone, I just wanted to get it off of my report. In fact, the only thing I am worried about is getting negative feedback from the deadbeat buyer. I actually talked to a Mod who told me to leave negative feedback and move on. It has now been a week since I have heard back.

Oh well! But thanks for the info guys.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    You shouldn't be allowed to hit ctb in the classifieds until you hit 50 posts. The same as posting an ad.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    I had number of MDS classified sales that did not provide feedback even though I went of my way to meet at time and location that was suitable to both of us or I would ship to address they wished, either as soon as I could, in short no delay. I chock not leaving a feedback to not knowing how to or it was just too much of a burden for them. I provided feedback on every purchase I’ve made, I have even found out how to by pass the systems to do a nonstandard way to do a feedback (Computer Ninja Skills). I had 95-99% positive relationship with MDS members normally I look for 50-100 posts and sometime on the site since they joined. Just because someone gets bad feedback doesn’t make them the issue sometimes Sh!t Happens. :innocent0 or sometimes they are just a A$$hole

It’s like loaning money to family if you concern with getting paid back don’t do it!

Last edited:

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    Ah! I got hit in a weird way.

Buyer hits CTB before someone I was exchanging messages with. Transfer goes well, positive feedback left and received. This other person (0 posts, joined last week) left me two neutral for a transaction that never made it past conversation. Also put his phone number in the feedback which I thought was odd.

Keep your eyes out! Shady.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom