Classic just got a batch of Mosin 91/30's for $99!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Molot is the commercial facility in Russia from which these are being imported. They have found a way to get these imported straight from Russia as hunting rifles.

That's because the M91/30 is on the approved list of guns that can be imported from Russia. I posted a link to that on the first page.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I wonder how much milsurp ammo is left for these things? Ammo might be better investment wise than the rifles.

Here's something to consider if you're thinking about investing in ammo. Right now everyone wants the surplus stuff because it's so cheap. So let's pretend we've reached the day where the spam cans are long gone. The best you can do is sell the cans of surplus you saved for less than new production, but slightly more than what you paid for it X number of years ago. At that point is it worth it? People aren't going to pay a premium or even the same price of new ammo for corrosive non-reloadable rounds when the market has shifted to using new production non corrosive ammunition. 440 round cans are about 70 dollars give or take. These rifles are 89-99 dollars. Invest in the rifles, shoot the hell out of the surplus while it's around. That's what I say.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    That's because the M91/30 is on the approved list of guns that can be imported from Russia. I posted a link to that on the first page.

Yes sir. I understand this, but Molot is the first company getting anything into the US in any numbers. Wondering if parent Izmash may be paving the way for them?

ETA- I admit to not keeping up with the recent refurb scene-so I'll stay out of that part. I just wanted to pass on the potential issue with the DDR stamp

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    Food for thought.... I think I have a DDR marked mosin with a import mark that says "Germany".

You probably do, Gibbs Rifle Co. imported some Mosins a couple of years back and all of them were import stamped "GRC Martinsburg WV 7.62x54R Germany", I was told that they had been sent from Russia to Germany and then the US, thus the strange import markings.

The DDR marking is being debated on gunboards:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?335681-Unusual-non-import-marked-91-30

Last edited:

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel

UpperMarlboroMan

Mar 11, 2013
    There has to be some old guy in Russia or Germany who knows the answer.

There might be, but we may never really know.

I would encourage others to go read that thread. It certainly is thought provoking and I definitely see that triangle 1 stamp in a different light. I think there is some interesting evidence presented and it will probably be debated for years unless someone comes forward with hard evidence either way.

I will say, that in my experience, the triangle 1 stamped rifles are some of the better refurbs I have seen.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Here's something to consider if you're thinking about investing in ammo. Right now everyone wants the surplus stuff because it's so cheap. So let's pretend we've reached the day where the spam cans are long gone. The best you can do is sell the cans of surplus you saved for less than new production, but slightly more than what you paid for it X number of years ago. At that point is it worth it? People aren't going to pay a premium or even the same price of new ammo for corrosive non-reloadable rounds when the market has shifted to using new production non corrosive ammunition. 440 round cans are about 70 dollars give or take. These rifles are 89-99 dollars. Invest in the rifles, shoot the hell out of the surplus while it's around. That's what I say.

A lot depends on what happens to the US dollar. If the dollar turns to chit and inflation runs wild, better to hold Mosins/ammo than cash. In a way, betting on Mosins is betting against the dollar.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    A lot depends on what happens to the US dollar. If the dollar turns to chit and inflation runs wild, better to hold Mosins/ammo than cash. In a way, betting on Mosins is betting against the dollar.

Yeah, there's now way to know what will really happen, that's just my best guess. I don't see the ammo running out anytime soon. With them making so many millions of firearms that fire that round and having to arm so many millions of men in the chance of another war, there is probably an absolutely massive amount of ammo in storage. Another thing is 440 rounds is a lot of ammo for casual shooters. That could last some people a year or more.

bg71361

Apr 30, 2012
    Damn you bunch of old people, you forced me to buy another one. $99, oh its $89 now.....I haven't even seen the first one I ordered:D.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Congrats on being the owner of two new 1942 Izhevsks :D
    That's the reason I'm waiting a little before ordering again.

I figured if I end up getting another one I'd just either sell or trade them for another date. I think its more random selection rather than anything else, so hopefully the lottery is on my side this time. I couldn't pass up another Mosin for only $89 :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom