• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txiyo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 18, 2008
    We can use Heller to get Shall Issue CCW.

Let's file a class action lawsuit against the state of Maryland.

What do we need to get the ball rolling?

- NRA support?
    - Media
    - A lawyer?
    - several thousand of us

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Premature. We need to see what the result is going to be with Chicago and DC before we move on a suit here. They have a greater likelihood of victory and we can see what precedent it may set for us here.

If we take it to court and lose, that's the ball game. If we move smartly, we stand to gain a great deal.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    baby steps padawan.

They took our rights in baby steps, we have to take them back the same way. Keep public opinion on our side.

SDA

May 22, 2008
    Dun-Doc Hun
    baby steps padawan.

They took our rights in baby steps, we have to take them back the same way. Keep public opinion on our side.

Agreed!

The ruling today is a huge step for us, but let's see how the lawsuits against Chicago, San Fran and othe areas play out first. No doubt they'll be ruled the same way as today, so that would be even more leverage on our part.

I'm all for sticking it to Froshy and getting our self defense rights back 100%!

When the time comes, count me in.

John

txiyo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 18, 2008
    Why shouldn't it be all at once? If we let it go one by one, the Brady Camp will find away to stop us.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Mark, I understand where you're coming from, but there's the story about the young bull and the old bull....

For those that don't know, I'll repeat a version here:

An old bull and his son were standing on a hill watching some cows when the younger bull says, "Hey Dad, why don't we run down there and hump one of those cows?"
    To which the elder bull responded, "No son, let's walk down there and hump em' all."

PTM76

Oct 30, 2007
    The ruling specified "inside the home".

It did strike down mandatory trigger locks though.

txiyo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 18, 2008
    I'm just saying the state and city legal battles will begin. I want Maryland to be active. We have to start somewhere or at least meet and get a plan.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    The court also said basically the constitution supports firearms in common use at the time. I sure do see A LOT of fully automatic M16's being "commonly" used by our military. :innocent0

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Mark, do you have any concept of what that law suit would cost? Where is it going to come from cause the 50 bucks a person stuff won't cut it.

txiyo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 18, 2008
    Well I guess we have to wait. I know how much a law suit against the state would cost ~2.2 million as a conservative figure. I've worked out some numbers based on some pass cases.

What I am saying is Plan, Plan, Plan.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Well I guess we have to wait. I know how much a law suit against the state would cost ~2.2 million as a conservative figure. I've worked out some numbers based on some pass cases.

What I am saying is Plan, Plan, Plan.

Judging from the posts I have been reading it sounds like that is exactly what is going on at a much bigger level then us here in asskrakistan. We are very small fish to the laws in other states and those need to be overturned first and for the pro gun groups to get case law and precedent. I hear your excitement though Mark, just be patient and ever vigilant until our turn in line gets here.:)

txiyo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 18, 2008
    In fact, the Illinois State Rifle Association has already filed a lawsuit challenging the Chicago ban. They filed the suit within 15 minutes of the high court's ruling.

I can't even get my pizza in 15 minutes.

nighthawk2099

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2006
    Backwoods, SouthWest Arkansas
    We need to make it clear. We may feel like we live in Hell here in Maryland, but we have it a heck of a lot better than CA, IL and NY. No, we can't CCW or Open Carry. We have to wait 7 days to pickup our guns. We can only purchase 1 gun per month. We can't purchase guns unless they have a shell casing. Atleast we can have guns.

With this landmark case, the NRA and Gun right activist need to focus their attention on overthrowing other D.C. style bans first. We need to make sure that EVERYONE who wants to can purchase and own a firearm for protection, THEN we go after the little BS laws that don't work.

It's going to take time, but we have waited this long to get the 2A clarified, we can wait a little longer. ;)

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    It seems to me that the Court ruled the little BS laws are OK?
    Buying a trigger lock is not infringing, A 7 day waiting period does not keep you from having a gun, or at least that is how I took it?
    I think the one we can win is CCW, The court ruled to "Keep and Bear" was defined as "in ones coat pocket". I think Maryland can and should be a Shall Issue state? The court ruled that some restrictions are OK, NOT in schools, Federal buildings etc., they did not say inside the home only.

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    It would seeem to me that the best place to start is on less ornerous cases in more friendly venues. Get precedent set as high as possible before attacking the deep pocket a$$hats in Annapolis. Allways attack the weakest first, and gain strength.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom