• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RavensFan11

May 28, 2013
    Timonium
    OK..I apologize if this is already out there..but here is my question.

I purchased my first handgun on April 17 and am in background check line like everyone else. Once I am ND'd (assuming, but have nothing that should be an issue) - and I receive my firearm....let's hope by mid-July - will I be able to go to a different FFL that does 8 day release for my second purchase since I now have an official ND? I bought my first one at an FFL that is not releasing without all paperwork and I fear if I use them again I will fall into the Oct. 1 abyss and get stuck needing the HQL.

I appreciate your input!

Doug S

Trufflehunter
    Jan 21, 2013
    You can go to any FFL you wish, and you will follow their release rules, but don't forget about the 30 day restriction.

Unless you're a Designated Collector (DC), you have to wait 30 days to do papers on a new one, from the date you picked up (aka "signed for) the first one.
    Example: You submit April 17, pick up July 17 (roughly 90 days). You can't do papers on a new one 'til Aug 17th.

In all honesty, I'd suggest submitting the DC paperwork while you're waiting for the April 17th response. It's probably 50/50 if you hear first vs. get the DC response, but why not?

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Just wait 22 days after you pick up the first gun before you go to the 8-day FFL.

Draco20

Apr 20, 2013
    MoCo
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but you would need to wait 30 days after taking possession of your first handgun to take possession of your second regulated purchase. However, if you have your designated collectors license then you wouldn't have to wait.

Doug S

Trufflehunter
    Jan 21, 2013
    I believe that Aireyc is talking about the fact that the MSP has said that you can submit a second set of papers before 30 days has passed on your last signature, IF it is reasonable to expect (w/ the current 80+ day wait) that you won't have ND's overlap w/in 30 day periods. They'll hold it 'til 30 days.

So, in his example, 22 days + 8-day FFL is 30 days when you go sign for the second one.

flyingblind

Oct 3, 2012
    From what I was told you can submit as many apps as you want on one day but you have to wait 30 days between pick ups unless your a designated collector.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    OK..I apologize if this is already out there..but here is my question.

I purchased my first handgun on April 17 and am in background check line like everyone else. Once I am ND'd (assuming, but have nothing that should be an issue) - and I receive my firearm....let's hope by mid-July - will I be able to go to a different FFL that does 8 day release for my second purchase since I now have an official ND? I bought my first one at an FFL that is not releasing without all paperwork and I fear if I use them again I will fall into the Oct. 1 abyss and get stuck needing the HQL.

I appreciate your input!

Some FFLs accept NDs from other dealers and some do not. It is up to the individual dealer.

RavensFan11

May 28, 2013
    Timonium
    Thanks all! I am submitting my DC paperwork today so that I don't have to worry about it in the future. Appreciate the help!

mikey6480

Aug 6, 2011
    kinda of two different things at play here. Nobody knows what MSP is going to do with the paperwork marked "released after 7 days" (or whatever the verbiage is). If it just goes into the pile with everything else (most likely) then It won't matter one bit if you fill out another app for a firearm right now. MSP will not get to that paperwork for at least 30 days (between your April 17 app and the today app).

The second part is actually the important part (the possession). If you go to a FFL that is releasing on time (it's not early) you will be able to pick up in 8 (or 10 or so days depending on the FFL). I see no reason why you couldn't pick that second purchase up first, as long as you wait 30 days after to pick up your initial purchase (your April 17th).

The monkey wrench is if MSP decides to actually do something to expedite those apps marked 8th day release (if you FFL is even sending that to them, some are not bothering).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JBIRD EST.1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom