• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Guns and ammo are not necessarily good to buy right now...but they are good to sell...IMO if prices and supply normalize in the 6 month to year that will be good...but its really a sellers market right now.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Guns and ammo are not necessarily good to buy right now...but they are good to sell...IMO if prices and supply normalize in the 6 month to year that will be good...but its really a sellers market right now.

True but its hard to set aside your hobby for a year or so...

Guns are quickly coming back to normal prices as the national gun bills have died. However this is why a I was for referendum. It would have allowed more of a chance to buy guns at normal prices before the ban. Of course now you can just get a purchase order and get it when it comes in stock rather than paying higher prices for a used one.

I had ammo stocked up but not that much...

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I just hope the ammo supply comes back...

It will. Remember when Obama got elected? People stocked up for a long time but a year later, supply was back. Prices were up to but... Its a little slower to come back I think because everyone with their new guns is still shooting them. Once that gets old, they slow on the ammo consumption.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Ha, crew serve weapon... haha... come on out and help me prep and haul around my MG08 Maxim and I will show you what a crew serve weapon really is. ;)

Just put a sling on it and lug it around like real men do. :)

I have an M60 and used to have a 1919...sold the 1919 and got an HK sear pack instead. An HK21 will be in the works soon. Crew served weapons are nice, but im having a hard time finding a gun case for it.

The 60 is an official safe queen, i cant afford to shoot 308 nowadays. 5.56 is a bit more affordable, the MCR will soon have a 5.45x39 conversion and that may be more practical in terms of ammunition cost.

The MCR weighs in around 8 lbs and is the lightest SAW right now. If I remember correctly, the M249 is around 17 lbs unloaded. Your MG08 weighs as much as a smart car. So much for being man-portable. But from a fixed position, nothing in the world can match the firepower and reliability of water cooled maxims. I may have a modern SAW, but you have piece of history. If only those things can talk and tell us stories of where they have been.

Attachments

• maxim.jpg
      maxim.jpg
      173.1 KB · Views: 246
    Last edited:

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Just put a sling on it and lug it around like real men do. :)

I have an M60 and used to have a 1919...sold the 1919 and got an HK sear pack instead. An HK21 will be in the works soon. Crew served weapons are nice, but im having a hard time finding a gun case for it.

The 60 is an official safe queen, i cant afford to shoot 308 nowadays. 5.56 is a bit more affordable, the MCR will soon have a 5.45x39 conversion and that may be more practical in terms of ammunition cost.

The MCR weighs in around 8 lbs and is the lightest SAW right now. If I remember correctly, the M249 is around 17 lbs unloaded. Your MG08 weighs as much as a smart car. So much for being man-portable. But from a fixed position, nothing in the world can match the firepower and reliability of water cooled maxims. I may have a modern SAW, but you have piece of history. If only those things can talk and tell us stories of where they have been.

Actually the MG08 had "shoulder" pads on the back side of the front legs. Its also got wood back support on the bottom of the sled. So you can stick your head between the front to legs, with the bottom of the sled on your back and carry the 100+ pound setup like a backpack. Thats how I load it... and its even more of bitch than it sounds! If you have two people you can extent the front legs out and make it like a stretcher. If feels like you are carrying around a body on one too. No sling attachement! Your only option is to go John Basilone style and just carry the gun!

Considering the MG08/15 is credited with more "kills" than any other gun in warfare (not counting millions of Africans killed by AK47s in whatever murderfest), I often think I am glad not to know how many people were killed at the hands of my Maxims. The one Maxim has the story written on the side of its capture by Americans, so there is a fair chance its killed USGIs.

Lucky for me both my Maxims are easy to convert to 7.62x54r and now cheaper to shoot than 9mm subguns!

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Well, I am slowing moving on with my idea! M16 waiting for MSP to get my form 4 back. Just picked up a M192 used for a pretty good price. Came in friday. Now I just need that damn Shrike upper. Or if I decided to skip the heat sink, maybe a the MCR upper... we will see.

IMG_20140406_120724_523.jpg

IMG_20140406_120615_417.jpg

So how has your Shrike been treating you?

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Shrike/ MCR is still in semi auto mode. I could not get a Full auto bolt carrier from ARES. They dont sell to MD gulag residents. I need to set it up with a RR.

I can get it to work with a semi carrier using a RLL. ( 6 month plus , pending atf form 4) But thats not what I want, it is so much better with a RR.. Also, the project is getting expensive. The Upper alone is running in excess of 6k. That does not include optics, links, accessories.etc. The full auto bolt carrier is about another 1 k

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Shrike/ MCR is still in semi auto mode. I could not get a Full auto bolt carrier from ARES. They dont sell to MD gulag residents. I need to set it up with a RR.

I can get it to work with a semi carrier using a RLL. ( 6 month plus , pending atf form 4) But thats not what I want, it is so much better with a RR.. Also, the project is getting expensive. The Upper alone is running in excess of 6k. That does not include optics, links, accessories.etc. The full auto bolt carrier is about another 1 k

They will not even sell it to you if you provide your RR Form 4? There are a few people that sell on the internet, like Ruben, I would just buy it from them. I am pretty sure someone will have one in stock.

Yes it is expensive. Maybe the most expensive upper ever. Frankly with a year wait, I will probably wait until the end to buy the upper. I think there is plenty of room for that price to fall. How are you at $6K with no FA carrier and no optics? You have one expensive suppressor on it? MCRs are like $3.5K. I could see a suppressor getting that to $4.5K but where is the other $1.5K coming from? Parts for it are out of control expensive. If anyone else could get $1K for a bolt carrier... but if you want the most firepower around...still a lot cheaper than a SAW.

What kind of optics are you going to go with? I was originally going to get the ACOG they make for the SAW. Looks pretty nice. However I think I want it to be NV Compatible and the ACOG does not seem NV friendly. I love my EOTech but wanted something a little more... well longer distance. Maybe the magnifier.... but I don't know yet.

bigjoe

bigjoe
    Oct 1, 2012
    Ellicott City
    Ares will sell some parts to Marylanders.... with me it seems that I was an established customer pre all the gun legislation mess so maybe they realize im good for it or maybe actually calling them and speaking to Tracy, the lady in sales, is the way to go. Im not actually buying anything that is BANNED. its an upper.

I have a copy of Ares Defenses 2014 price list and a full auto bolt carrier+feed roller assy. is $860.00 thats not 1k....

Another note, IMBLITZVT, I have a gen5 Shrike upper with the heat sink and it is definetly worth the weight and cost over the MCR. It works very well. You can get links lots of places and that should not be an issue for you hardcore NFA guys....

Word to the wise, keep your shrike or MCR as light as you can, I run just iron sights, but if you must have an optic use a Aim point micro or a Bushnell TSR-25.... and a nut sack.

Finally, take a look at D&D guns in WV. George Denkins is a great guy to deal with and he stocks some parts and uppers.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I paid about 4 k for the semi auto upper. Add the nut sacks, links and a full auto bolt carrier and it is about 6 k
    I'm not running any optics on it yet. I may go with an elcan with a 249 reticle. It is expensive. But relatively cheaper than let's say a Stoner LMG.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Another note, IMBLITZVT, I have a gen5 Shrike upper with the heat sink and it is definetly worth the weight and cost over the MCR. It works very well. You can get links lots of places and that should not be an issue for you hardcore NFA guys....

Word to the wise, keep your shrike or MCR as light as you can, I run just iron sights, but if you must have an optic use a Aim point micro or a Bushnell TSR-25.... and a nut sack.

Finally, take a look at D&D guns in WV. George Denkins is a great guy to deal with and he stocks some parts and uppers.

I was thinking the Heat Sink would probably be worth it. Still $5K for an upper really is out of control.

Weight is not a big issue for me... compared to my MG08... its like a pistol!

If you are in Elliott City, why are you not out shooting with us at the AGC?

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I paid about 4 k for the semi auto upper. Add the nut sacks, links and a full auto bolt carrier and it is about 6 k
    I'm not running any optics on it yet. I may go with an elcan with a 249 reticle. It is expensive. But relatively cheaper than let's say a Stoner LMG.

You said just the upper was $6K, no accessories. Stoner LMGs are not really in the running are they? Even a SAW might be cheaper.

For that kind of cabbage, you should have gotten an Ohio Ordnance Works M240-SLR :)

Who wants a semi auto. OOW M240 semis are like $13K...

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Cool devices.

We have a Shrike in the shop for anyone who would like to check it out.

bigjoe

bigjoe
    Oct 1, 2012
    Ellicott City
    I was thinking the Heat Sink would probably be worth it. Still $5K for an upper really is out of control.

Weight is not a big issue for me... compared to my MG08... its like a pistol!

If you are in Elliott City, why are you not out shooting with us at the AGC?

I do shoot with you all at the AGC, the last event I made it to was the October pumpkin shoot.

5k its expensive I know, but that gets you the FA bolt and a steel feed tray both are must haves...IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom