CITIZEN GROUPS UNITE TO CHALLENGE MARYLAND FIREARMS BAN IN THE U.S. DISTRICT COURT

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Looks to be just the facts, as opposed to the extreme left slant we have come to expect from this paper. Surely they have not changed there views in the topic, but the tune in the articles they have!

Note the pseudo factual statement asserting that the AR-15 was the gun used in the Newtown shooting...

Nauseating to watch the repeater.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Seriously? Did you NOT read the AGC press release or notice that the MD State Rifle and Pistol Association (the state NRA arm) is a party to the suit?

I'm sick of this misnomer around our state these days. The NRA has proven they are in this for us starting with the legislative session. They may have neglected our state for many years and we may have to "trust" but "verify" them for the foreseeable future, but enough is enough.

To anyone knocking the NRA right now, you're going to get a shovel of wisdom from me when I see it.

/rant

I agree. I'm a proud NRA life member. If it weren't for the NRA we wouldn't be on this forum now arguing about them because we wouldn't have any guns.

The NRA is very active in Maryland. Just last week our Maryland NRA lobbyist, Shannon Alford, was on Lock and Load radio discussing the MSP PII fiasco. She is very active in our fight.

As others have said, there are going to be many lawsuits in this fight. Think of this as a boxing match. Each of these suits so far are jabs and hooks that will find their mark. The NRA is going to unleash the uppercut that ends the fight.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Not to mention, NRA will file suit AFTER the law goes into effect. It will cost millions. It's not like there can only be one lawsuit. This isn't a football game where the next play is coming in a minute or two. Patience is needed.
    Precisely.

There are MANY moving cogs and gears here, since this beast is severable.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Reading lawsuit now... can't really see how much counts 1-3 will survive...(IMNSHO count 2 could have been a copy/paste job from when the 20+ round mags got banned) but... count 4 is where things got interesting - that's where the vagueness of the whitelist/blacklist is attacked.

"Strict scrutiny" may be what wins it, though. The law was to prevent gun violence, and... well, if the statistics can be backed up, long guns aren't used in violence much.

I hope something good comes out of it, but I expect most of it to get thrown out, with lots of "but California does it!" thrown in with the salt just because the administration hates us.

I am assuming there will be at least one more lawsuit over HQL / handguns.

Except do the lawsuits that have started in NY, this round of new regulations are the first attempts at banning firearms "in common use" since Heller, which is why Heller is the basis for this entire suit. What they are trying to do is use this with Heller as a base to bring ALL AWB laws to the forefront.

The "Common Use" ruling is still fairly new, but is very significant to the basis of this case. Especially considering that in the past year in Maryland, the most common rifle purchased is the number one "copycat" on the ban list.

NavyATFP

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 3, 2013
    Hyattsville
    I thought the Plantiffs were not supposed to be personally named(except for the organizations) due to security possibilities. Or was that the other one. So much to keep track of these days.

Speaking just for myself, I was told this would not be a John Doe filing and my name would be released. Nothing to fear in this as its the right thing to do and isnt that the reason I own firearms? To protect myself and those in my home.

RCH

Will work for ammo.
    Mar 18, 2007
    PG County
    Go get 'em guys!!!

I already made a donation to MLFDA, now it's time to send a matching to AGC legal fund.

silverwolf

Feb 14, 2011
    This was just the first shot in a long battle. You can be sure there will be lawsuits to follow from the NRA and others once the law is in place, as well as similar suits against the HQL and other provisions. This was just an attempt at an injunction to keep the law from being implemented. If it works, great. The major lawsuits won't be filed until after next Tuesday when the law will likely be in effect and Marylanders have actually been negatively affected and had their rights infringed upon. At that point, the ineptitude with which the new regulations are implemented can be documented and cited.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Agreed. The NRA suit will not be filed until after Oct 1, when the plaintiffs will have standing. No one is harmed by a law that isn't in effect yet. Perhaps more reading of the various threads on this topic will answer questions before they are posed repeatedly.

Notice that this suit focuses on the "assault long guns" and "high capacity magazines". There's nothing on the HQL in there.

Given that the sworn testimony in by sown of the folks from the MSP is all but perfect to challenge the HQL on constitutional grounds, I'd say that this is just the opening salvo.

This is pure speculation. I have no particular insight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom