• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Having finished a few 80% AR lowers, they do not make sense financially. When Anderson stripped lowers are available for under $40 each, and a background check is under $20, the cost of the 80%, jig, end mill, and router, not to mention your time machining and cleaning make it clear to me that there is another reason for the 80% market.

For me, it was the desire to have unmarked lowers. I could easily put the serial number, manufacture information in a less visible location. If it was just the serial number, that would be pretty easy to make unobtrusive. The roll marks, safe, semi, markings offend the aesthetics for me. Who looks at the safe, semi markings on their AR? My Colt lowers don't shoot better or worse than an Anderson. Finding someone who can do Type III hard anodizing on a non-serialized lower is practically impossible, and home anodizing is not the same as Type III from a good metal fabricator. Cerakote or alumahyde are about the best home option available as far as I know.

What others may want with their 80% builds, I won't speculate. I find it highly unlikely that it is your average criminal looking for a crime gun, as guns are much easier to obtain via burglary or straw purchase. As for staying off of the government's radar, if you are here, you are all ready on the screen.

Be safe.
    Blasphemy!!!

Having “the man” not know everything you have...priceless

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    Any one can print a firearm in a matter of days, and I'm not talking about a rudimentary single shot firearm. I'm talking a fully functional semi auto pistol/rifle. The cats out of the bag.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Any one can print a firearm in a matter of days, and I'm not talking about a rudimentary single shot firearm. I'm talking a fully functional semi auto pistol/rifle. The cats out of the bag.

Full auto is easier to build than semi.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    C'mon fellas, 80% kits aren't the problem - repeat offenders, prosecutors not doing their jobs, lenient judges and parole boards, and dare I say it - the race-based politicians running the urban areas are the REAL problem! The bottom line - it's the people and what do you do about that? I understand that here in Baltimore we may be renaming the Columbus Obelisk erected in 1792, the " Victims of Police Violence Memorial" or some other such nonsensical PC name. That should really go a long way to solve the problems in the City! I got a solution, or at least a start, give the cops their batons back and free run for two weeks.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I need to get in on the 80% game now, should’ve done it a year ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    C'mon fellas, 80% kits aren't the problem - repeat offenders, prosecutors not doing their jobs, lenient judges and parole boards, and dare I say it - the race-based politicians running the urban areas are the REAL problem! The bottom line - it's the people and what do you do about that? I understand that here in Baltimore we may be renaming the Columbus Obelisk erected in 1792, the " Victims of Police Violence Memorial" or some other such nonsensical PC name. That should really go a long way to solve the problems in the City! I got a solution, or at least a start, give the cops their batons back and free run for two weeks.

We all (should) know this.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I've attended a lot of gun shows since the 80%ers became the "thing" for many.

I do NOT want them banned in any way or manner.

However, I am also not naive enough to think for even a nano-second that the community of prohibited persons in our midst is not taking full advantage of this tool.

Why would I, a "not prohibited" person, pay up to 40-80% more for the pleasure of buying and building an 80% firearm kit... when I can spend far less and simply buy the actual sr#ed commercial model? Other than of course... the personal satisfaction of building one's own. (and the "what the Gmint don't know" factor.. wink wink)

The underbelly of the population who are made up of less that scrupulous felons and those who prey upon the law abiding... are taking FULL advantage of the situation and THAT is coming home to bite us all in the ass.

So what can WE do about it? How do WE protect ourselves and our rights from a situation whereby our rights are as much in danger as our lives from this segment of society which is ONLY there for their own greed, hate, avarice, and illegitimate enterprise? How do we do that without being victims of both the felons and the government?

Suggestions?

Because if WE, as a community, do nothing... they WILL do something. And if THEY do something... WE will be the ones getting the short end of a very shitty stick.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    When they address it anyone with a milling machine and aluminum barstock or polymer bricks will be criminals. Those shovel AK boys will be next

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    I don't think teh 80% receivers should or could be banned. They are not firearms, and it's perfectly legal for an individual to make their own gun and not be required to serialize it. The GCA68 made serial numbers mandatory for guns manufactured for sale, but an individual making a gun for his own use is not required to . The gun banners want to extend this requirement to individuals without having to go through the troublesome process of having a law passed.
    This is the first step down a slippery slope, and pretty soon they'll ban billets of alloy metals that are near the dimension of a rifle or pistol receiver.

Snapper

Mar 29, 2014
    Having finished a few 80% AR lowers, they do not make sense financially. When Anderson stripped lowers are available for under $40 each, and a background check is under $20, the cost of the 80%, jig, end mill, and router, not to mention your time machining and cleaning make it clear to me that there is another reason for the 80% market.

For me, it was the desire to have unmarked lowers. I could easily put the serial number, manufacture information in a less visible location. If it was just the serial number, that would be pretty easy to make unobtrusive. The roll marks, safe, semi, markings offend the aesthetics for me. Who looks at the safe, semi markings on their AR? My Colt lowers don't shoot better or worse than an Anderson. Finding someone who can do Type III hard anodizing on a non-serialized lower is practically impossible, and home anodizing is not the same as Type III from a good metal fabricator. Cerakote or alumahyde are about the best home option available as far as I know.

What others may want with their 80% builds, I won't speculate. I find it highly unlikely that it is your average criminal looking for a crime gun, as guns are much easier to obtain via burglary or straw purchase. As for staying off of the government's radar, if you are here, you are all ready on the screen.

Be safe.

I agree there is no money saved building an 80% gun. But, at least for me, it's worth it just for the self satisfaction that I made this weapon with my own hands. It's a hobby like building model planes or boats.

I have often shipped my finished 80% lowers/frames/receivers to be blued, chromed, etc. And none of them had a serial number on them. The ATF told the shop that does the work on my stuff to treat them just the same as if someone shipped them a gun made in 1920 that never had a serial number...no problems.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    It’s not. They are becoming more common and you can see it via any liberal department that posts their weapon recoveries on Twitter. When i came on these were unheard of no one had a homemade gun now we are averaging 1-2 a week

C'mon fellas, 80% kits aren't the problem - repeat offenders, prosecutors not doing their jobs, lenient judges and parole boards, and dare I say it - the race-based politicians running the urban areas are the REAL problem!
    I would love to see some data on the people who had P-80's while committing a crime to see just how many of them were part of the "revolving door" criminal justice system. I bet it's a lot more than a few.

It seems like all of the "problems" we have these days emanate directly from our catch-and-release courts and jail system, where repeat offenders are spit right back out in to the world. If we kept even half of them in jail, I'd bet our problems would all but disappear.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I would love to see some data on the people who had P-80's while committing a crime to see just how many of them were part of the "revolving door" criminal justice system. I bet it's a lot more than a few.

It seems like all of the "problems" we have these days emanate directly from our catch-and-release courts and jail system, where repeat offenders are spit right back out in to the world. If we kept even half of them in jail, I'd bet our problems would all but disappear.

So much wisdom in that observation.

Sadly... there is an entire industry which is fed by recidivist crime. And it is the SAME industry which decides between guilt or innocence, penalty, length of stay vs. parole/probation. They rely upon LE to keep locking up the folks who keep bringing them $$$ for defense, prosecution, and adjudication. And the DOC to hold them and release them after their short vacation between crimes committed.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan

Why waste the money and time when the recidivism rate is so high? A .22 even in this day and age is still leass than a quarter.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    So much wisdom in that observation.

Sadly... there is an entire industry which is fed by recidivist crime. And it is the SAME industry which decides between guilt or innocence, penalty, length of stay vs. parole/probation. They rely upon LE to keep locking up the folks who keep bringing them $$$ for defense, prosecution, and adjudication. And the DOC to hold them and release them after their short vacation between crimes committed.

I think I've heard that before ... oh, yeah, I have:

Omar Devon Little said:
    Its all in the game.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    2A in MD has had gifts from God the past two MGA sessions. They would have banned 80% two years ago, but the death of Speaker Busch threw the end of session in disarray, and it somehow slipped away. They would have done it this session (to include possession of unfinished 80% kits), but Covid screwed everything up, and it somehow slipped away. I'll be praying for another miracle next session, but not expecting it to be able to slip away again:sad20:

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    2A in MD has had gifts from God the past two MGA sessions. They would have banned 80% two years ago, but the death of Speaker Busch threw the end of session in disarray, and it somehow slipped away. They would have done it this session (to include possession of unfinished 80% kits), but Covid screwed everything up, and it somehow slipped away. I'll be praying for another miracle next session, but not expecting it to be able to slip away again:sad20:

Giant Meteor 2020?

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Finding someone who can do Type III hard anodizing on a non-serialized lower is practically impossible, and home anodizing is not the same as Type III from a good metal fabricator.

Took me about 4 phone calls to find a place down here. They also do Remington, Bushmaster, DPMS, Beretta and Marshall Spaceflight Center metal finishing. Your lowers do have to have some kind of unique identifier so they don't get mixed up with the commercial lowers but it does not have to be a serial number and it can be anywhere on or in the lower. You could engrave "Bubba" with a Dremel the block where the grip goes on all your lowers and that would be fine. Cost for a batch of 1-12 was $195 if you lowers are properly cleaned and degreased.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom