• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Donald1818

Aug 22, 2013
    Baltimore
    Im not sure if this post belongs here, but It is a reloading related question.

I have pretty much finished tooling up my workspace I have all my hardware and all my software in place, and Im ready to begin regular shooting.

So for me a next step Im thinking about ia a chronograph, to check my loads.

If your using one, can you give me a bit of a consumer report on it, or if you have pro's or con's, bells and whistles?

Thanks for reading my post.

Don

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I have used a pro chrono by competition electronics for years, no complaints. It records 9 strings up to 99 shots per string. Very reliable tool for the reloader.

Sent from 21st century technology

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    MagnetoSpeed for rifles, Ohler for everything else.

I have seen 6-7 of these MagnetoSpeed units here and like them well enough to buy one myself. They have all worked flawlessly and the ease of setup alone puts them FAR above the competition. No box of plastic parts to assemble/disassemble, no screen spacing issues, no ambient light issues, no walking downrange and/or in front of the gun. Clamp it on and shoot.

I have access to an Ohler 35p and don't use it at all since getting the MagnetoSpeed unit.

cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    The magnetospeed gets great reviews and I'm close to pulling the trigger on one myself. They claim 99.6%-99.9% accuracy compared to an Oehler and high speed video testing.

Does anyone have any information about the Labradar? I have been following a thread about it on snipers hide, and it sounds intriguing. I mentioned it to a few of the ballistics guys at work, and they say that a radar based system has much more potential than a conventional chrono, if Labradar can pull off the execution at a consumer price point.

Edit: forgot to mention that the Labradar isn't out yet (latest word is a limited production starting in June) but the rumor is ~$500 for the unit.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    I have used a pro chrono by competition electronics for years, no complaints. It records 9 strings up to 99 shots per string. Very reliable tool for the reloader.

Sent from 21st century technology

After I did some research a few weeks ago I decided to buy a Competion Electronics ProChrono based on the rave reviews and costs. I ordered it directly from theCompetition Electronics web site, and after 4 days I had to call them because my order was still pending. Competition Electronics informed me 2 weeks ago that it was not in stock and that it would ship a week later. I called again today, and they told me it would be another week added. If you buy a Prochrono make sure that you buy from someone else like midwayusa who has them in stock, or call Competition Electronics to make sure that it is in stock. I cancelled my order today with Competiton Electronis and instead bought a Caldwell from MidwayUSA. The Caldwell Chronograpgh is pretty new on the market, but it has cool technology features. The Calwell will hookup to your cell phone or IPAD and I haven't seen a bad review yet. Those that got the Caldwell rated it at 5 stars.

Last edited:

Praeger

Apr 7, 2014
    Howard County
    Chronograph

Competition Electronics Pro Chrono Digital. Picked up a used one on eBay for about $90. It's been very reliable used outdoors and inside without LED lighting accessory. Read & follow instructions regarding direct sunlight and you'll be fine.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    The Caldwell Chronograpgh is pretty new on the market, but it has cool technology features. The Calwell will hookup to your cell phone or IPAD and I haven't seen a bad review yet. Those that got the Caldwell rated it at 5 stars.

That's great! I got the Competition Electronics one and then the PC interface. but plugging it in and hauling a laptop got me thinking if it was worth all the trouble and have yet to haul a laptop to the range. iPhone connection is worth it. Just wish it was bluetooth or something instead of a long cable.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    After I did some research a few weeks ago I decided to buy a Competion Electronics ProChrono based on the rave reviews and costs. I ordered it directly from theCompetition Electronics web site, and after 4 days I had to call them because my order was still pending. Competition Electronics informed me 2 weeks ago that it was not in stock and that it would ship a week later. I called again today, and they told me it would be another week added. If you buy a Prochrono make sure that you buy from someone else like midwayusa who has them in stock, or call Competition Electronics to make sure that it is in stock. I cancelled my order today with Competiton Electronis and instead bought a Caldwell from MidwayUSA. The Caldwell Chronograpgh is pretty new on the market, but it has cool technology features. The Calwell will hookup to your cell phone or IPAD and I haven't seen a bad review yet. Those that got the Caldwell rated it at 5 stars.
    That stinks, but glad to hear you found the Caldwell..:thumbsup:

I like the idea of the iphone interface! I use my phone for most of my shooting apps, that would work well. I don't have a remote for mine, but I shoot it at my lease mostly where I test loads, so it's no big deal to reset it each time I finish a string, let the rifle cool a bit and walk down to closely inspect the target and mark the shots. At a public range, a remote would be a lifesaver!

Buddy of mine just bought a ProChrono from Amazon.. shipped in a couple of days and was around $110 iirc..

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Ohler

The standard for ballistic labs. A bit more work to set up, but super piece of equipment.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    It's hard to beat the Master Beta if you shoot by yourself a lot.

730dc

Mar 11, 2013
    have a shooting chrono alpha master . it isnt bad i guess its accurate dont really have anything to compare it to but factory ammo measure fairly close to what stated on box. some times it will only read 3 or 4 shots before getting a error which is a p.i.t.a since only way i know how to fix this is to reset it so you loose your data on standard deviation and extreme spreads . other wise i like it , has the screen that you sit on the table so it easy to see and cycle the screen to other data.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I have the shooting chrony F1 master, and it works great.

I haven't had any errors or issues with it and I've used it quite a bit in the month or so I've had it.

It's a good option in my opinion if you're on a budget, or just don't need something super fancy. I'm sure a really serious benchrest rifle shooter would want a nicer one. It works great for my needs.

noone

Jul 3, 2011
    I use the Pro Chrono also and found out the hard way that they do have a great deal to fix it if you shoot it. I put a 338 win mag round through it and I sent it back, they fixed it and in 3 weeks I had it back, and they told me no matter how bad I break it they will never charge more then 1/2 of the price of a new one to fix it

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I just got the Caldwell and it does work well having the data right on the iPhone in digital form. This was my first chrono experience and I am very pleased.

Donald1818

Aug 22, 2013
    Baltimore
    MagnetoSpeed

OK, I pulled the trigger on a MagnetoSpeed V3 and it came in the mail today.

This is hot off the manufacturing line, they just started making the production version of V3 like a month ago. I missed their Beta production run of V3 which ended about a week b4 I got interested in this topic.

looks simple enough. sleek design, nice packaging.

can't wait to get to the range and see what some of the reloads I have been manufacturing this past year pan out to be.

THANKS for all your suggestions guys!

Don

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom