• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • retrorichard

Member of Team Awesome
    Dec 24, 2009
    Rockville
    All,

I have an osprey defense piston setup in my delton AR (before folks jump in to say that pistons are crap, I have not had any major issues with it, and I have other DI ARs).

It currently has a phosphate delton bolt in a phosphate piston bolt carrier. I have an extra complete chrome plated BCG sitting around. I would like to put the chromed bolt into the piston carrier.

Aside from measuring headspace (and taking off the gas rings), any issues with this?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I couldn't say, I have a Stag Model 8L (piston) and it's a one piece BCG (they eliminated the gas key), a pic would help.

ETA: My bolt, minus the gas rings is the same as a D.I. bolt, but there is a spring inside the BCG to allow for lock/unlock.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    You may want to consider sending your piston BCG out to be NiB coated instead....

^This.

And whatever you do, don't send it to Clandestine, he said he'd coat my BCG for me, it looks the same as factory, but for some reason it does smell like it was dunked in a porta-potty... :confused:

:lol2:

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    ^This.

And whatever you do, don't send it to Clandestine, he said he'd coat my BCG for me, it looks the same as factory, but for some reason it does smell like it was dunked in a porta-potty... :confused:

:lol2:

At least it wasn't coated in something the consistency of snot, please tell me it was snot? :lol2:

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    To answer your question with out belittleing you: It depends.

How many rounds do you have through it. Genereally, I like to keep barrels and bolts together if they have high mileage. If not, then yea you can change out for the chrome bolt. I like the NiB idea though, that's what I would do... Send the whole bolt and carrier in for a nice upgrade.

-Jim

Uncle Krunkle

Sep 29, 2010
    Why would you need to take off the gas rings? My LWRC has gas rings on it's bolt. I assumed I could mix that bolt in with my Daniel Defense upper. What are the issues with measuring headspacing?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Uncle Krunkle - not every piston set-up is the same, your LWRC has gas rings, my Stag doesn't - I'm not familiar with Osprey's design, so I can't say anything there.

Uncle Krunkle

Sep 29, 2010
    Wow. I really don't get the DI vs Piston thing. But the Glock was lampooned when it debuted.

But I guess I was really being prodded for asking if a regular AR bolt would work in my piston AR. I asked that because I don't understand headspace, which the OP mentioned. MDshooters should be a place to encourage questions being asked, not ridiculed for doing so.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I don't take it personally - to me the whole piston vs. D.I. is more of a 'if it ain't broke, why fix it?' deal.

I enjoy my D.I. ar, and I enjoy my piston ar.

I just got to deal with some good natured jokes because of my piston ar.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Wow. I really don't get the DI vs Piston thing. I guess some people like to think that they're "right" and anyone that doesn't agree with them is wrong and a fool for not agreeing with them.

But I guess I was really being prodded for asking if a regular AR bolt would work in my piston AR. I asked that because I don't understand headspace, which the OP mentioned. MDshooters should be a place to encourage questions being asked, not ridiculed for doing so.

Dont be that guy. Hes no fun.

Pistons get a bad rap because every company does it different and they are an attempt to sell people on old tales of the AR that are no longer valid today.

Having a STANDARD makes the AR such a fantastic rifle because you know when tou need parts almost anything will fit. Tith Piston AR' sno one has a standard. Break a part and you have one source for parts. Break a D.I. AR and you have a thousand sources.

retrorichard

Member of Team Awesome
    Dec 24, 2009
    Rockville
    Okay, my osprey kit used my original AR bolt minus the gas rings from my rifle.

But I guess I will send it out to Nib coat it. It looks like WMD will do it for about $100.00

Also, the carrier for the osprey kit is one piece as well.

I will shoot an e-mail to Scott's to see what their pricing is/turnaround time.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    One of my brief moments of clarity again. ;)

Clandestine - your a good guy, funny as hell at times too. But I'll still never bend over around you... :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom