• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Visited a friend today who was shooting his new bolt action Christensen Arms Model 14 Ridgeline with a 16" barrel 1-8, chambered 6.5 Creedmoor. For the 1st 10 rounds, cleaned after every shot. Then after every three shots. I left when he was in the 40's, he will continue cleaning after every three shots, until he reaches 50.

Following each shot, to raise the bolt to eject a round, required a lot of upward pressure, with three different brands of ammo.

Anything come to mind?

Cut & pasted from their web site: The Ridgeline Titanium Edition combines a precision titanium action with our signature carbon fiber barrel at an impressive price. The firearm features a titanium radial brake, spiral fluted bolt, and a carbon fiber composite sporter stock with a Metallic Grey with Black Webbing finish.

Thank you

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Christensen had some QC issues, and sticky bolt complaints were common. We're there also high pressure signs?

Either way, you're going to have to send it back or have a gunsmith check the chamber and bolt face.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Christensen had some QC issues, and sticky bolt complaints were common. We're there also high pressure signs?

Either way, you're going to have to send it back or have a gunsmith check the chamber and bolt face.
    Yeah. On my Howa, a $450 gun, I had it just about lockup on me after the few few cycles. It took a rubber mallet (a light one) to get it open. A few dozen cycles with JB bore paste got it so I could open and close it by hand. But had to smack it with my palm still. I yelled yolo and coated the lugs with #600 lapping compound and cycled it another few score times. Cleaned it up and ran JB bore paste again a couple of hundred times. That .223 Howa isn’t quite as smooth as my 6.5 Grendel Howa, but it’s darned close. Very slick. Reasonable effort on the bolt lift. All still well within head space.

I would not do that on a several thousand dollar gun.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Titanium has a tendency to gall. I would bet that, due to the backwards force on the locking lugs, there is some metal galling on the locking lugs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom