• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I know only industry partners can advertise training courses on the forum, but I want to post something for the little guy, the freelance instructors. There are many good if not great instructors who do the courses because they enjoy teaching and training people. Just because they are not working for a range doesn't mean they are not able to give high quality instruction. On the same token because someone works at a range doesn't make them a better instuctor.

I only suggest you check out the instructors background, call and talk to them, compare prices, do a little research to be sure you get the appropriate instruction. The MSP website has a list of instructors and I wish This forum would create a thread for instructors to post their info for the good of the group. Anyone? Can that happen?

I look forwards to seeing many in courses and hope you all get the best training you can. If you've taken a course you've enjoyed please post a referral and info for the instructor/course.

I hope I haven't broken any rules here,TD

montyw2

Feb 11, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    I know only industry partners can advertise training courses on the forum, but I want to post something for the little guy, the freelance instructors. There are many good if not great instructors who do the courses because they enjoy teaching and training people. Just because they are not working for a range doesn't mean they are not able to give high quality instruction. On the same token because someone works at a range doesn't make them a better instuctor.

I only suggest you check out the instructors background, call and talk to them, compare prices, do a little research to be sure you get the appropriate instruction. The MSP website has a list of instructors and I wish This forum would create a thread for instructors to post their info for the good of the group. Anyone? Can that happen?

I look forwards to seeing many in courses and hope you all get the best training you can. If you've taken a course you've enjoyed please post a referral and info for the instructor/course.

I hope I haven't broken any rules here,TD
    Good idea but remember-cheap labor ain’t skilled and skilled labor ain’t cheap.
    Shopping solely on price doesn’t tell you much and one should really ask “why are their prices stupid low?”

An instructor has a lot of cost and investments:
    -Instructor insurance (they do HAVE instructor insurance don’t they?). I carry $1M/$2M
    -Do they have a private range where you can learn movement, shoot multiple targets, do holster draw etc.
    -Does the instructor take classes from other instructors? If not, how do they keep up with evolutions in drills & skill improvement?
    -Are you going to get a low student:teacher ratio or will you be lost in the masses?
    -We invest lots in targets, stands, paint, steel, cardboard, pasters, timers, extra ear/eye pro when you forget yours, sunscreen, bug spray, beverages, canopies, training props etc.
    -Do you get a continued training improvement plan? Videos to show areas to work on? Timed drills & standards to measure future progress against?

These are just a few things to keep in mind when your only criteria is “cheapest”.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Shopping solely on price doesn’t tell you much and one should really ask “why are their prices stupid low?”

-Instructor insurance (they do HAVE instructor insurance don’t they?). I carry $1M/$2M
    -Do they have a private range where you can learn movement, shoot multiple targets, do holster draw etc.
    -Does the instructor take classes from other instructors? If not, how do they keep up with evolutions in drills & skill improvement?
    -Are you going to get a low student:teacher ratio or will you be lost in the masses?
    -We invest lots in targets, stands, paint, steel, cardboard, pasters, timers, extra ear/eye pro when you forget yours, sunscreen, bug spray, beverages, canopies, training props etc.
    -Do you get a continued training improvement plan? Videos to show areas to work on? Timed drills & standards to measure future progress against?

These are just a few things to keep in mind when your only criteria is “cheapest”.
    I definitely did not mean to imply price is the only criteria. You make a lot of good points to consider and I agree. Of course there are some who charge as much as they can as well. It's always good to do the research.
    TD

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I'm researching 2 courses I've found in the Sykesville/Eldersburg area. Looking for W&C 16 hour.
    1. Pinnacle Training
    2. Spartan firearms training

Their prices are comparable, they both have a web presence and classes available in the reasonable future. I plan to do a drive by this afternoon. Does anyone have first hand experience with either of them? MSP website only gives a search function for licensed instructors if you know their name, not companies or business offering training.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    I'm researching 2 courses I've found in the Sykesville/Eldersburg area. Looking for W&C 16 hour.
    1. Pinnacle Training

Their prices are comparable, they both have a web presence and classes available in the reasonable future. I plan to do a drive by this afternoon. Does anyone have first hand experience with either of them? MSP website only gives a search function for licensed instructors if you know their name, not companies or business offering training.
    You can search by county, and/or zip code, etc. You don't need to know a name.

You'll get a ton of names, but still have to do the leg work.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    1. Pinnacle Training

I have taken courses from Spartan. Good people and the classes are very well done.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    1. Pinnacle Training

Spartan Firearms has *excellent* instructors.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I did a drive by yesterday. Spartan firearms' address at:

1363 Progress Way #103
    Sykesville, MD 21784

It turned out to be a post office. Am i missing something? Is there another progress way in Sykesville?

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter

1363 Progress Way #103
    Sykesville, MD 21784

It turned out to be a post office. Am i missing something? Is there another progress way in Sykesville?
    2020 info:

This is the classroom location:​

Essential Support Services​

October 9, 2020 (Classroom Training)

2028 Liberty Road
    Sykesville, MD 21784

9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.

Bollinger Gunsmithing​

October 10, 2020 (Live-Fire Training)

4485 Piney Creek Road
    Taneytown, Maryland 21787

9:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.

rossiski

Dec 28, 2019
    Carroll County
    I was able to get into classes at Guntry in owings mills. He is adding a lot of classes and the place looks top notch. I go in two weeks. Then the app process begins.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Oh, I see.

Did a drive by there yesterday also. Saw ESS on the sign at liberty road. Is that your classroom in the back yard next to Smokeys?

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD

1363 Progress Way #103
    Sykesville, MD 21784

They don't have an actual store front or "office" that I know of, if that's what you're asking.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Lots of businesses in the gun industry will list PO boxes as the address because they don't want people showing up at all hours to their home or at a business with appointment only hours.

I know this from experience.

Jun 17, 2014

Agreed 100%
    Our W&C classes are limited to 10 students and are taught by IDF Spec Ops.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    With some of the amazingly stupid things I've seen and heard about lately I think checking into courses before taking them is getting more important. There seems to be a flood of bad information, inappropriate class sizes, and people trying to shortcut the requirements. Be careful everyone, TD

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom