• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrewDoc_MD

Piss off, ghost!
    Apr 25, 2012
    Myersville, MD
    Like several other folks on here have already done, I had to jump on these. Today big brown delivered my Chinese SKS soaked in cosmo and wrapped in bubble wrap.

I paid extra for matching numbers (stamped on receiver, trigger guard, mag, bolt carrier, and on the left side of the shoulder stock) and hand-picked good looks. Very little if any trench art on this one. Blueing looks scarce, but I guess I'll get a better look once I get all of the cosmo off. The description said no cleaning rod included, but mine has one.

Like why2kmax posted recently, my SKS only has a six digit serial number, no /26\ mark...not any triangle, letters, or any other symbols to be found.

yooper's SKS website suggests chinese SKS's with only 6 digit serial numbers are from late 1956. Is that still the general consensus?

I'd like to have seen more bluing in her, but so far I'm happy.

SA-chinesesks-cosmo_wholerightside.jpg

SA-chinesesks-cosmo_rearsight2.jpg

SA-chinesesks-cosmo_stock-left.jpg

SA-chinesesks-cosmo_stock-right.jpg

SA-chinesesks-cosmo_receiver.jpg

SA-chinesesks-cosmo_10-mag.jpg

SA-chinesesks-cosmo_triggerguard.jpg

SA-chinesesks-cosmo_buttplate.jpg

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    If you look real close next to the serial number on the receiver, you will see traces of a small triangle. That likely is the '26' triangle that would go along with a 6-digit 1956 SKS.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    That jumped out at me too, but I think it's just chance scratches.

Nice carbine, though. Your stock looks much less ragged than did.

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    If you look real close next to the serial number on the receiver, you will see traces of a small triangle. That likely is the '26' triangle that would go along with a 6-digit 1956 SKS.

IMO those are just scratches
    Stock looks good.
    Interesting, Brew, your serial # is 5 lower than one of mine. I have 125377.
    I really want another one.... both of mine are great shooters

Interesting Classic added +$20 for matching numbers and +$20 for a good stock.

WHen I ordered it was $20 for best of 10.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County

Yeah ... hard to tell for sure, but looks like a faint shadow of the triangle, in proper proportion, just below three scratches at this angle ... \

BrewDoc_MD

Piss off, ghost!
    Apr 25, 2012
    Myersville, MD
    Yeah, once I get it cleaned up I hope a /26\ will miraculously appear somewhere. I was hoping it would be sunny and hot this weekend to help melt off the cosmo from the stock, but it's only supposed to reach 78 today!

I'd like to get another one, but I need to save some $ to get 2-3 stripped lowers before Oct. 1st. I'm not into AR's now, but you never know in the future...I'd hate to be itching for one 10 yrs down the road and they're still banned in this goofy state.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    You might not find a /26\ or similar on that early of genuine 1956 rifle. Yours looks like the real deal in original condition. Am I correct in that it has not been molested with an electro-etched import number either?

BrewDoc_MD

Piss off, ghost!
    Apr 25, 2012
    Myersville, MD
    Boom, there is an import mark from IO, Inc on the right ride of the barrel, just behind the front sight. it's a little hard to read, but i can clearly make out "7.62x39, China". I don't see a serial number there, but there could be a really, really faint one.

why2kmax, do you see import serial number etched on yours?

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    BrewDoc - That's a good looking rifle. The stock appears to be a good bit better than average for these.

I've seen two genuine Sino-Soviets that had electro-pencil marks on them. Both of them had the marks (serial number) on a hidden part of the gas tube and on the rod of the gas tube piston, and all the other stamped parts matched.

I have seen the exact same marks on two very late (1955) Russian Tula SKSs, with all matching parts and only the tube and piston rod marked in electro-pencil. That suggests to me that these were not force-matched replacements, as we find in the re-arsenaled 91/30s, but may have been factory marked on assembly. The Chinese may have found the practice unnecessary, and just dropped it when the Russian techs left (reasonable speculation).

I've also seen photos posted of one rifle out of this batch that's clearly a Russian Tula, and I have one that looks like it was made of all-matching-number Russian components, but has the Jianshe stamp. This is an interesting lot.

It looks, though, like the ones they are shipping out now are leaning more toward being later 1956 than Sino-Soviets. That's what I'm seeing in posted photos, anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom