• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Lots of interesting stuff hit the market in the last couple of months and I was a very busy boy chasing a couple of bucket list items and others. The number one item of interest was a Canadian Longbranch No7 .22 training rifle. Thought I had more than enough bid to grab a nice example only to watch someone else with deeper pockets stifle my ambitions. This was my sixth abortive attempt over 20 yrs to get a Canadian No7. And this was just the start of a run of bad luck where I was reserve bidder or not even in the hunt. Pretty demoralizing but you learn to push on.
    -There was a small auction with a nice German pre-war Haenel training air rifle and a German issue Unique Kriegsmodell. So of course I got skunked on both. But I was also watching an interesting, well worn FN High Power that was languishing with little love @ $750 when the online only auction went into the last couple of hours. I had done my homework with the assistance of Tony Vanderlinden's FN Browning PIstols reference book and ID'd it as a pre-war Chinese Contract version. Not a lot of these were built and the SN on this one placed it in the roughly first 1500 built in the summer of 1938.
    -So I put on my big boy pants and was lucky enough to grab it for what I consider to be a bargain. Finally broke the dry spell!
    -The first production batch of the Chinese Contract had SNs from 6000 to approx 9500. This one falls neatly in the middle of that range. Would have been delivered with one of the FN flat stock holster sets that the Chinese really didn't take a liking to as they preferred the storage stocks like those for the Mauser C96 Broomhandle. Which explains why the later Canadian Inglis shipments to China had a Broomhandle type stock. This first batch also featured Type 1 tangent sights. Later in 1938 the Chinese placed an order for additional units and these have random SNs in the 9500-11,000 range. They differ in that they sport the Type 2 tangent sight and apparently were delivered without shoulder stocks. That was the extent of FN factory delivered High Powers to the Chinese Nationalists. After the war they stayed in China and by all accounts led a hard life, with repairs made using Inglis High Power parts.
    -In the early 90s Kengs Firearms Speciality, KFS, imported the majority of those that survived. Most had been reworked and refinished over time. This example is rare in that it didn't get refinished and is all matching with an original FN magazine as well. Barrel has some frosting in the grooves but looks serviceable. A fair amount of holster wear and the grips are flattened (but original!). While not a Finn, Lithuanian or German issue tangent sight it's still a very interesting and uncommon example.
    -There's a neat thread with another example much like mine, with a slighly higher SN, over on Jan Still's Luger Forum. Mr. Vanderlinden was one of the participants which makes it a very interesting read.
    IMGP9924.JPG

IMGP9927.JPG

IMGP9925.JPG

IMGP9928.JPG

IMGP9926.JPG

IMGP9931.JPG

Jul 1, 2012
    Nice! Pre-war FN are such a pain to sort out because each contract typically had its own serial range starting at 1 :)

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Nice find there Mawkie.
    I saw a a FN Hi Power with German acceptance marks and no import markings at since closed gun store in Annapolis around 2014.
    I was afraid that it might be a fake and wanted to check the acceptance stamps on it, they let me take pictures of it.
    I went back a few days later after I was certain it was genuine and it was sold.
    I should have taken my chances when I first saw it.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Nice find there Mawkie.
    I saw a a FN Hi Power with German acceptance marks and no import markings at since closed gun store in Annapolis around 2014.
    I was afraid that it might be a fake and wanted to check the acceptance stamps on it, they let me take pictures of it.
    I went back a few days later after I was certain it was genuine and it was sold.
    I should have taken my chances when I first saw it.
    Not to pour salt on the wounds but I'm willing to bet that today's typical selling price for a German issue HP is quite a bit more than what you saw in 2014. Today figure on paying at minimum $2K for an early tangent sight version and at least $1600 for fixed sight. And I might be conservative with those numbers.
    With HPs I don't ever remember seeing a fake mark as the pre-war examples will cost you as much or more in some instances so there's not cheap stock to work with to "elevate" in value. Certainly nothing like converting a post-war commercial Luger into a WWI era Navy Luger where you can see as much as a doubling of value.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Got a shock when a FN flat stock rig came up for sale at auction last week. I wasn't even close with my $1300 bid. Ended up selling for over $3k. Then again, I was warned that these are far rarer than the pistol and easily sell for more. Lesson learned!

Jul 1, 2012
    The non-slot WaA613 BHP's (early tangent) go for over $3500 now. Probably $500 less as you go up in variation, e.g. WaA103 tangent, WaA140 tangent, then WaA140 fixed. The fixed-sight B-block with plastic grips is a bump over the other fixed-sights.

A WaA613-marked magazine is going to bring $400+ so that's something to check for fake stamps.
    There some faked WaA613 BHP's with the slot for the stock... originals are rare and worth quite a bit more, so that brings out the bad guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom