• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mr_goodbomb

Nov 17, 2009
    I bought this locally after looking for one for a while. It's 22LR. I also bought some Remington hollowpoint 22s at the same shop.

I took it out to a friend's house to try it out. When I loaded the .22 shells into it, it wouldn't close. I removed the shell from the lower chamber and it closed with just one in the top. It fired fine with just one in the top chamber, but afterwards, it was very difficult to get the shell out, requiring a screwdriver. I put JUST one in the lower chamber and it closed, but it wouldn't fire with it there. This seems to be a real issue.

There seems to be a tiny bit of space in which the shells should continue to push in, but don't. Just a few sheets of paper's worth of space, but it might be significant in this case.

What seems to be the issue? I got .22LR ammo, and I can't imagine one specific brand is any different than another. Any ideas?

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    Oh yeah they are! Do not think that one brand of .22 is the same as another. Does the manufacturer recommend a certain brand?

Case in point: My .22 Mosquito would not feed and eject anything but CCI minimags (what the gun was designed for) or Federal Match ammo. After about 3K rounds, it will now take Federal bulk 550 just fine. The gun needed to be broken in and loosened up.

Really, I find more difference between .22 ammo manufacturers than I do between 9mm or .45.

Ammo may or may not be your issue though, I don't know your gun.

Splitter

mr_goodbomb

Nov 17, 2009
    Did you read the owner's manual first? Did you clean it first? I think it needs to be looked at by a professional.

Yup, read the manual. Didn't need clean because it was unused, brand new. I bought from the shop, which... would be a professional. I guess I'll end up taking it back for him to look at.

It doesn't suggest any specific ammo.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Yup, read the manual.

Good.

Didn't need clean because it was unused, brand new.

At the least, most brand-new factory guns need cleaning to remove assembly lube. Other debris is often found in new guns. I've bought new cap 'n' ball revolvers with unidentifiable crap all over the lock work.

I bought from the shop, which... would be a professional. I guess I'll end up taking it back for him to look at.

That's my next suggestion. Just because they bought, stocked and sold it doesn't mean they checked it out or even looked at it beyond reading the serial number.

It doesn't suggest any specific ammo.

It's not self-loading, so IMO ammo is not likely to be a problem.

mr_goodbomb

Nov 17, 2009
    I just can't imagine the need for cleaning after assembly being why such a simple weapon won't fire such a small round. It looks like it was struck, as there's an indent on the back of it. It also seems odd that it won't close with both the rounds in.

mr_goodbomb

Nov 17, 2009
    I can't imagine having a firearm give me trouble and not disassemble it to try and figure out why, but to each his own, as they say.

It's my third firearm, my first being a single-barrel break-open shotgun and a revolver I purchased at the same time and have yet to fire. I don't exactly know what I'm doing. However, with a gun this small and with this few moving parts, there's not much to disassemble. I just know that it won't close entirely with both chambers loaded, and won't fire on the bottom chamber. The shells seem to expand a good bit, because they're very tough to get out after firing.

c&rdaze

Oct 2, 2007
    Southern MD
    I would agree with Guy. New firearms generally do need cleaning to get the storage lub removed. Sounds like you might have something in the chamber that's not allowing the cartridges to fully seat or extract. Sometimes the barrel will have enough 'stuff' in it to cause overpressure (not likely with .22). If you still have a problem, talk to the shop where you got it.

mr_goodbomb

Nov 17, 2009
    I cleaned it out with a wire brush, solvent, and oiled it. Bought a kit today. No help. The shells still don't fit entirely inside it, just a tiny bit raised outwards, and so it won't close. I looked for other ammo there, but they were sold out of .22LR.

mr_goodbomb

Nov 17, 2009
    Sure it's not chambered in .22short?

1012048A.jpg

I can't push it in any further than this without it being absolute hell to get back out. And that little thumb extractor is supposed to be enough to push them out. I've had them seated all the way in before, a little further than in this picture, but one at a time. And forcing in an unspent rimfire cartridge seems... like a shitty idea.

120qtrc.jpg

mr_goodbomb

Nov 17, 2009
    I called the company for warranty, they told me to ship it to them and they'd ship it back. I'm not an FFL, is that even legal?

mr_goodbomb

Nov 17, 2009
    How does that work? Is it just because I'm sending it to the manufacturer? In that same respect, shouldn't I, without an FFL, be able to order a firearm from them directly? How would the post office know the difference between a handgun going in for repairs and coming back and a handgun being ordered?

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    How does that work? Is it just because I'm sending it to the manufacturer? In that same respect, shouldn't I, without an FFL, be able to order a firearm from them directly? How would the post office know the difference between a handgun going in for repairs and coming back and a handgun being ordered?

I doubt the Post Office would know of the legality of your firearm purchase but, since you are not an FFL, the factory would have to run the federal paperwork and the MD paperwork (for a handgun) on you and since they are not in state, I doubt very much those two foms would come back approved for the very reason that you are not purchasing and doing the transfer from them directly in state.

Also, being an FFL, they know the law and probably would not jeopardize their business and freedom by knowingly selling you a firearm illegally.

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    I know people are going to tell me I am wrong, but to my understanding there is no law dictating that you have to ship overnight if using a common carrier (not USPS) and it is going back to the factory for repairs. But I do think it is UPS/Fed Ex policy.

Do not under any circumstances indicate that it is a firearm! Do not use the box that it came in if it says it is a firearm. It will be stolen. If asked, it is machine parts.

Splitter

mr_goodbomb

Nov 17, 2009
    I doubt the Post Office would know of the legality of your firearm purchase but, since you are not an FFL, the factory would have to run the federal paperwork and the MD paperwork (for a handgun) on you and since they are not in state, I doubt very much those two foms would come back approved for the very reason that you are not purchasing and doing the transfer from them directly in state.

Also, being an FFL, they know the law and probably would not jeopardize their business and freedom by knowingly selling you a firearm illegally.

They're not selling me anything. They're repairing it. But the law doesn't know the difference. They just know I'm getting a gun in the mail.

I'm also not in MD, I'm in WV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mr88

Latest threads

Top Bottom