• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JRILE

Jan 9, 2011
    Rising Sun, MD
    I'm looking for a cheap upper for my first AR build. Not sure whether to buy one already assembled or to purchase components and assemble it myself.

I don't really need the thing to be a tack driver, i'm just looking for a 16", carbine length, flat-top and cheap as cheap can be. I'm just wondering if anyone can point me to a supplier or a manufacturer.

Thanks!

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    First one, buy it complete. Less possibility for things to go wrong that way.

For a good quality upper without putting a lot of skin in, PSA would likely be your best bet.

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    There's a group buy on this forum right now for stripped upper receivers. They're inexpensive too! Good place to start.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=87963

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    First one, buy it complete. Less possibility for things to go wrong that way.
    Disagree. I think a stripper lower and assembled upper is the way start. Any idiot with any mechanical ability at all should be able to assemble a lower, given all the instructions that are available on the web.

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    Its hard to believe you can put together a nice AR for less than 600 these days if you try hard enough. AK's are going for more than most AR's, strange times.

Yeah, you gotta wait for sales though lol. It's not like before where you could find kits and cheap parts.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda

Damn that's cheap.

PSA's $280 upper + JBO's $110 completed (polymer) lower by Frontier = a $390 AR-15. DAMN!!!

Or if you don't like polymer:

PSA's $280 upper + JBO's $80 stripped Spikes lower (you can probably find another brand cheaper, but I don't feel like hunting) + PSA's $105 lower build kit = a $465 AR-15

I'm a little surprised that they can be built this cheap... I suspect that quality may suffer a bit, but I'm glad to see there are some options for people getting into the game on a real budget.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Damn that's cheap.

PSA's $280 upper + JBO's $110 completed (polymer) lower by Frontier = a $390 AR-15. DAMN!!!

PSA's $280 upper + JBO's $80 stripped Spikes lower (you can probably find another brand cheaper, but I don't feel like hunting) + PSA's $105 lower build kit = a $465 AR-15

I'm a little surprised that they can be built this cheap... I suspect that quality may suffer a bit, but I'm glad to see there are some options for people getting into the game on a real budget.
    You still need the BCG and charging handle.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Oh. Thought it was included. :o

Oops.

I've done the same thing.;) when I was looking for uppers I'd be like, damn that's a good price, then my bubble would get busted when I'd see the " no BCG or charging handle included".
    DSA arms has some cheap prices on them with no BCG or handle, but I know nothing about their quality.

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    Damn that's cheap.

$280 upper, $75 ($50+$25 fee) PSA Lower, $60 LPK, +cost of charging handle and BCG. Thing is...most people upgrade charging handles...so that could be found. The BCG is a tough one.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Disagree. I think a stripper lower and assembled upper is the way start. Any idiot with any mechanical ability at all should be able to assemble a lower, given all the instructions that are available on the web.

Taking what I said and what the OP asked out of context.

OP asked about an Upper, and in that respect - buy a completed upper, less to screw up.

Assembling the lower is the easy part, provided you follow the instructions and take your time.

fogman

I've been looking for parts to do an AR build, so far it seems to be cheaper to buy a complete upper or a complete build kit. Especially if you can find it on sale. PSA had a great sale for Labor Day, lower parts kits for $79 (including stock), m-16 BCG for $129, forged charging handle $14.95, stripped upper (mid length, heavy barrel, 1:7, chromed) $279. $502+$85 for a transferred stripped lower ain't too bad.

JDH146

jdh146
    Dec 26, 2009
    Rock River Arms
    Not Mil spec but complete and inexpensive

http://www.pkfirearms.com/RRA_NON_STAINLESS_Uppers/206/c

Category: RRA NON STAINLESS Uppers Rock River Arms CAR A4 - 16 inch - Chrome Lined-Lightweight - Basic Upper Rock River Arms 16 inch Wilson, chrome lined, lightweight barrel with 5.56 NATO chamber and 1/9 twist rate. Carbine handguards and steel front sight tower with bayonet lug. A4 flat top Receiver.

These are assembled and test fired by PK Firearms.

Complete with bolt carrier assembly and forged charging handle.

Price: each $489.00 In Stock

11Bravo

NRA Lifer
    Dec 10, 2009
    Arizona the land of the FREE
    Get a DELTON upper, Great quality, Cheap and made in Texas. I started with a DELTON and it was a great upper. Not a single problem, Fit and Finish were great.

If you can afford it though, Get whatever brand you really want not necessarily just a cheap one. If you plan on having it awhile then just go ahead and do it right. With the right base pieces "Upper/Lower" all you have to do in the future is change furniture and gear to suit your ever evolving taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom