• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    For defense, it doesn't take much for a fixed blade to be effective. Has to stay in one piece, has to stay in the sheath till you need it, then draw reliably. Funny thing is that cheap blade steel like 420 and AUS6 might not hold an edge for crap, but are very rust resistant and tougher than many premium steels, so they can be fine for a defensive knife where it won't be used to cut stuff regularly, and bending is preferable to breaking. I collect knives, have several that are several hundred dollars, but for defense usually carry an old beat-up Emerson combat Karambit, but it's solid, reliable, and the edge is a razor, being it is never used to cut anything.
    That's exactly the approach I'm taking. This knife only has one job. I have a Leatherman multi tool with a saw and a blade I carry with me. I'm covered in the "fix it dept".

The little dagger came today. The blade had "China" and Stainless Steel printed on the blade. I'm not used to daggers and cut myself already not being used to a double edge. It's been lashed to my messenger bag and it's just what I needed.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    That's exactly the approach I'm taking. This knife only has one job. I have a Leatherman multi tool with a saw and a blade I carry with me. I'm covered in the "fix it dept".

The little dagger came today. The blade had "China" and Stainless Steel printed on the blade. I'm not used to daggers and cut myself already not being used to a double edge. It's been lashed to my messenger bag and it's just what I needed.
    One reason I love OTFs, very secure, lock closed, and IMO much safer to carry on a bike than a side folder.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Cheap knives that just say " stainless " are usually 400 or 420 , with indifferent heat treating .

I comprehend the idea of inexpensive knives . You don't need $100 plus for a reasonably serviceable knife .

But step up from $10 - ish to $20-25 - ish is a big step up in quality . Don't have a specific recommendation off the top of my mind , but I'll tell you how I could in 30 minutes or less .

Sign in to SMKW . Set search parameters to In Stock , Fixed Blade , price range $ 15- 30 , and see what pops up on sale . Look for blade designs somewhat to my druthers , and cross reference for a named medium quality steel . ( Substitute large internet knife dealer of your choice . I usually use SMKW once a year for a bulk order of cheap knives , and satisfied with service and prices .)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom