• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    As I was writing the title I stopped myself from asking for advice. Instead I'm going to just buy this cheap Chinese knife and then report back here.

It's a dagger, edged on both sides like I want. I'll wear it when I ride my bike and I want an edge on the leading side of the "draw", no matter which hand grabs for it.

It's just the right size, kind of medium size, it "clicks-in" and locks to the sheath and I can lash it to the messenger bag that's slung over my shoulder with the knife in the middle of my chest and carry it with the handle down. I'll throw that weak-ass neck chain in the junk draw.

But it's so cheap, $11.80. I bet it's cheap looking, too. I'll accept any opinions and definitely someone to direct me to a finer made dagger of similar size with a secure sheath. It seems that all the boot daggers I've come across are pretty substantial in size.

Amazon product ASIN B00B4CZHHY

Attachments

• 61aT7CzmhfL._AC_SX425_.jpg
      61aT7CzmhfL._AC_SX425_.jpg
      20.6 KB · Views: 69

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    For $12 get three of them so you can throw the first two at people just to liven up the party.

Edit/add: Did you look at all the pics? That thing is really tiny. Maybe that’s what you want but looks like you won’t get much purchase on that handle.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    For $12 get three of them so you can throw the first two at people just to liven up the party.

Edit/add: Did you look at all the pics? That thing is really tiny. Maybe that’s what you want but looks like you won’t get much purchase on that handle.
    I not only looked at all the pictures, but the last one is a video, and it shows someone holding it. I’ve been blessed with a little, boy hands, so I think it’ll be fine for me.

JollyPedro

Aug 15, 2022
    St Mary's County
    I would avoid cheap knives if at all possible. If you should need to use it, you want to make sure it's sturdy and will do what you want it to. Blade steel and craftsmanship are very important when buying a knife. If you're looking for something similar but of higher quality, look at the Benchmade SOCP. Heck of a knife for the price.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    I like these. Don't have one but the folks I know that do serious white water have them strapped/clipped to their vest in case of entanglement. The scene in Platoon was pretty cool too.
    cold-steel-43xlss-cm.webp

Edit: I am not endorsing this specific blade but rather this type in general.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    I would avoid cheap knives if at all possible. If you should need to use it, you want to make sure it's sturdy and will do what you want it to. Blade steel and craftsmanship are very important when buying a knife. If you're looking for something similar but of higher quality, look at the Benchmade SOCP. Heck of a knife for the price.

I really like the full size "SOCP Dagger", but they are out of stock. Let me see what happens with a search. Thanks!

JollyPedro

Aug 15, 2022
    St Mary's County
    This is the way

JollyPedro seems to not understand the desireability of the low price, which yields a high throw away value

A Benchmade Infidel is not a suitable murder knife, unless one is in the habit of ripping up 5 C notes
    Benchmade SOCP, much diffrent, and cheaper, than the Infidel....

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    But it's so cheap, $11.80. I bet it's cheap looking, too. I'll accept any opinions and definitely someone to direct me to a finer made dagger of similar size with a secure sheath. It seems that all the boot daggers I've come across are pretty substantial in size.

Tractor supply usually has similar knives up front in their bins as you walk in the door.

I don't know what they call those displays, but they are effective at getting me to buy inexpensive stuff that I don't really need but might some day. ;)

I have two I've bought in the past there that fit your description of double edge, secure sheath, not overly substantial size. Not sure if I'd call them 'finer'.

I recently saw they had a similar one but different brand. Didn't buy it (yet).

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    Tractor supply usually has similar knives up front in their bins as you walk in the door.

I don't know what they call those displays, but they are effective at getting me to buy inexpensive stuff that I don't really need but might some day. ;)

I have two I've bought in the past there that fit your description of double edge, secure sheath, not overly substantial size. Not sure if I'd call them 'finer'.

I recently saw they had a similar one but different brand. Didn't buy it (yet).
    They call those displays, POP's, which stands for Point Of Purchase and they are put there for the trap they are. I have a feeling those knives you mention are of the same "finer" quality as I have being delivered later today.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I carried a Gerber dagger for years(I wish I knew what happened to it). To bad they don't make them anymore. You can buy used ones, but they ain't cheap.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    They call those displays, POP's, which stands for Point Of Purchase and they are put there for the trap they are.

They work pretty well.

I have a feeling those knives you mention are of the same "finer" quality as I have being delivered later today.

I'm sure they are, they are in the same price range ($12~$18). Definitely what I would consider semi-disposable. Eruby would probably approve. :)

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    They call those displays, POP's, which stands for Point Of Purchase and they are put there for the trap they are. I have a feeling those knives you mention are of the same "finer" quality as I have being delivered later today.
    I would bet they are the same knives and that you could prob find these on Alibaba for $2-3 a pop (1000 min order). Amazon is rife with sellers buying this stuff in bulk and selling at a 150% markup. Actually not a bad business if you can get enough volume going, supporting commie slave labor aside.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    For defense, it doesn't take much for a fixed blade to be effective. Has to stay in one piece, has to stay in the sheath till you need it, then draw reliably. Funny thing is that cheap blade steel like 420 and AUS6 might not hold an edge for crap, but are very rust resistant and tougher than many premium steels, so they can be fine for a defensive knife where it won't be used to cut stuff regularly, and bending is preferable to breaking. I collect knives, have several that are several hundred dollars, but for defense usually carry an old beat-up Emerson combat Karambit, but it's solid, reliable, and the edge is a razor, being it is never used to cut anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom