• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edgewater917

LOCK :N: LOAD
    Feb 7, 2011
    OCEAN CITY MD
    JUST SHOOT,SHOOT,SHOOT..............THEN SIT DOWN WITH YOUR BEST FRIEND AND GIVE HER A FULL BLOWN CLEAN........IF YOU SHOOT THOUSANDS OF ROUNDS VS 1 ROUND YOU STILL .............CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN.......EXPENSIVE ROUNDS SAVE FOR THE GUY COMING THROUGH YOUR FRONT DOOR.....RANGE ,PRACTICE ,PLINKING,BLOWING UP CRAP,BUY THE AMMO ON THE CHEAP.....I NOW GO BACK TO THE TOP............CLEAN ,CLEAN ,CLEAN ......

edgewater917

LOCK :N: LOAD
    Feb 7, 2011
    OCEAN CITY MD
    BY THE WAY............I JUST JOINED THIS COMMUNITY.......ITS NICE TO SEE MOST OF THE TIME WHEN I TRY TO BUY ROUNDS FOR MY GLOCK20 , AR , 357 ,22 RUGER, THAT #OUT OF STOCK # IS DISPLAYED ........THAT MAKES ME SMILE......HOPE WE CAN KEEP EM ON THEIR TOES..........BUY IT UP........SHOOT, SHOOT, SHOOT.....CLEAN , CLEAN, CLEAN.

kronusthebonus

Jackwagon
    Jul 26, 2010
    Hampstead
    BY THE WAY............I JUST JOINED THIS COMMUNITY.......ITS NICE TO SEE MOST OF THE TIME WHEN I TRY TO BUY ROUNDS FOR MY GLOCK20 , AR , 357 ,22 RUGER, THAT #OUT OF STOCK # IS DISPLAYED ........THAT MAKES ME SMILE......HOPE WE CAN KEEP EM ON THEIR TOES..........BUY IT UP........SHOOT, SHOOT, SHOOT.....CLEAN , CLEAN, CLEAN.

Welcome, and take it easy on the CAPS lock man.

I've shot WWB and Remington UMC for plinking, and have shot 50 rounds of Hornady XTP JHPs through the 9mm XDm as well. It'll eat most anything you put through it.

The XDm is so easy to take down and clean, too.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I have the XDm 9 and buy all that cheap walmart ammo and some deals i find online. Mostly the stuff I bought online was some 124gr and 147gr, just to see if any shot better than any other. I came away with the $10.47 box of Federal 115 from Walmart that shot the best for me.

Port Covington and Golden Ring are the only two Walmarts that DO NOT sell ammo, that I know of around the Baltimore Metro area.

Last edited:

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    ..Blazer..357 mag ammo..aluminum cased ammo. Unless I drench the cylinder with gun oil, prior to loading, the aluminum casings get stuck and will not extract from the cylinder without me literally prying them out, one at a time, after they have been fired.

I think the issue might be a form of galling due to aluminum against steel? If you were to extract an unfired round, or insert and extract an empty casing, what happens?

In lieu of that, try putting some graphite lubricant inside the cylinder chamber and see if that helps with extraction of the aluminum shells.

$4 at Home Depot, lots of other good uses for it around the house.
    http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hard...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galling

Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    At Wal-Mart, buying more ammo.
    I think the issue might be a form of galling due to aluminum against steel? If you were to extract an unfired round, or insert and extract an empty casing, what happens?

In lieu of that, try putting some graphite lubricant inside the cylinder chamber and see if that helps with extraction of the aluminum shells.

$4 at Home Depot, lots of other good uses for it around the house.
    http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hard...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galling

Yeah, I thought of the galling issue, but it only does it after the round has been fired. It will load and extract a full round, and/or an empty shell casing. That is why I think it is a heat issue. The heat is either expanding the round, for which when cools will load and extract fine, or the heat is searing the aluminum to the stainless steel. I'm thinking more the latter, in that I have tried to let them cool inside the cylinder, yet they still won't come out, unless I pry them out. If I oil the cylinder really good it works fine. I'm thinking that the lube is transfering the heat, much like the oil in your engine. All I know, is I have one box of aluminum left, and after that, it's nothing but brass.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Here's my thinking: Aluminum cases sticking inside a cylinder or chamber isn't from galling and it isn't heat-related. Galling happens between two similar or identical metals.

Aluminum doesn't spring back as much as brass, so it tends to be a little bigger after firing. It's also soft and the imperfections, e.g., machine marks, inside the cylinder or chamber will tend to cause more friction when the softer metal takes on the form of the imperfections. Since aluminum isn't as 'slick' as brass, it tends to stick more. Oiling the chamber helps, but smoothing out the chamber walls works better.

Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    At Wal-Mart, buying more ammo.
    Here's my thinking: Aluminum cases sticking inside a cylinder or chamber isn't from galling and it isn't heat-related. Galling happens between two similar or identical metals.

Aluminum doesn't spring back as much as brass, so it tends to be a little bigger after firing. It's also soft and the imperfections, e.g., machine marks, inside the cylinder or chamber will tend to cause more friction when the softer metal takes on the form of the imperfections. Since aluminum isn't as 'slick' as brass, it tends to stick more. Oiling the chamber helps, but smoothing out the chamber walls works better.

That's plausible.

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    The Walmart on Rt 40 and Rolling Road doesn't sell ammo. I asked a clerk why and was told because of it's proximity to Baltimore City. Dicks in Columiba is closing out it's gun shop. No reason to shop at Dicks anymore. The Walmart in Columbia and Rt 40 and 29 don't have much of a selection and when they do have the ammo that I use they will only have a few boxes in stock.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Well, that explains that. I was in the Klumya Dicks last week and noticed a LOT of empty floor space with little merchandise left. Shame. Used to get a lot of 12ga target loads there.

HAHAHA...I searched "Klumya Maryland". You got me good...too funny!

I've gotten ammo at the Walmart at Washington Blvd. and I-695. It's the closest I know to you guys.

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Walmart at quarterfield has the best selection of ammo when compared to Lansdowne, Arundel Mills and Columbia. Plus a nicely stocked accessory dept. with cleaning supplies, storage etc.

Jay M.

Feb 28, 2011
    Looks like I am about to buy my first hand gun and I have some questions about ammo. Looking on cheaperthandirt.com I looks like I can get some really cheap ammo.
    Chris

check out www.surplusammo.com. you can get cases of 500 and 1000 really cheap for well known brands. That's wher I get my AR ammo and at $150 for 500 rounds of .223, that equals about $15 per every 50 rounds. Can't beat it. Not even cheaterthandirt.com. A box of 40 rounds of 223 at walmart is roughly in the mid $20s. Buy American and Happy shooting!!

Llyrin

Yankee-Rebel
    Mar 14, 2009
    Charles Co
    I don't own stock or anything in Cabela's, but I promote them a lot. I always check their web site for free or $5.00 shipping before I buy ammo. I picked up 500 rounds of Herter's (Russian or Indonesian I think) .223 for $3.99/box a couple weeks ago, and the shipping was $5.00.

Note: you have to spend $150.00 for the reduced/free shipping.

Last week the shipping was free, so I picked up 2100 Federal .22 and 100 rounds of .270 (plus other stuff) shipped free. When you factor in MD tax to a similar sale, $150.00 will cost an additional $9.00 in tax. So, buying online with a sale and free shipping is a big savings, but you typically have to buy in bulk, which is okay with me.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    aimsurplus.com has cheap 9mm but you really have to order in bulk to see the savings. look around and see if anyone wants to split with you. good luck and my first pistol was a 9mm taurus pt99

ITG

Jan 26, 2011
    Frederick County
    Walmart's in Laurel and Bowie do not sell ammo.

Germantown does and usually has a decent amount/variety in stock. I spoke to the person working sporting goods and she said they get ammo Saturday nights so Sunday is best for picking some up.
    If I remember correctly:
    - Tul 9mm was 9.47 for 50
    - Federal 9mm was 10.96 for 50
    - Winchester 9mm was 23 and change for 100

Dick's was running a sale on reloads, was $49.95 for 250 in 9mm, not sure if its still going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom