• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    Have 2 pit bulls that sometimes get loose around where I live. They are nice to humans but will fight and of course kill another dog of which I have 2.
    Looking for a small (like Glock 19 size) pistol that is powerful enough to move a dog along if I happen upon any while walking my dogs. I do not want to kill them just sting bad enough to end any problem. They always travel together also.
    Do not feel like spending alot because I am not the problem here, but have decided my AK 47 bayo isn't the way to go. If I used a real pistol with my luck the bullet would go through the dog, hit a rock and go in someones window and kill them.
    I no nothing about these. A neighbor who also has problems with these dogs suggested an air gun.
    What do you all suggest. Thanks, Bud

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    I know daisy used to make a nice one that used CO2 modeled after the 1911 I sold mine a couple years back cause I never used it any more. You can get them at walmart of dicks.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Bad idea. A BB may just irritate them. It would also be hard to explain to the nice officer that just gun faced you because someone called in a report of a "man with a gun". I'd suggest dog mace if it were me. May not make them less aggresive, will make them blind for a while. Oh, and call animal control and report them. It's bad ownership, not bad dogs but it's not going to end well.

12a10

Apr 6, 2009
    AA County Crownsville
    Pepper spray much beter alternative. Gets their undivided attention and much
    more memorable than a little BB sting. For added effect, spray them in the butt...

Bart_man

Clinging to gun&religion
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hazzard County
    Pepper spray much beter alternative. Gets their undivided attention and much
    more memorable than a little BB sting. For added effect, spray them in the butt...

+1
    the same mace the mailman carries is effective and will not get you in trouble. Spray it once and the dog will never bother u again

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    +1
    the same mace the mailman carries is effective and will not get you in trouble. Spray it once and the dog will never bother u again

+2 You harm a dog you'll have more to worry about than the law.

arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    Thanks guys. What is the BEST mace or pepper spray. Nothing that will permanatley blind a dog, just WILL WORK 100%

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    Pelet gun is not a good idea for another reason - if you do shoot the dog and it gets under the skin and infected the Owner may come after you with a Lawsuit if anybody saw/heard you do it. Also pitbulls have been breed for generations not to feal pain when they get agressive - you might end up just pissing it off. Being blind however....

arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    Look, I don't want to sound like some sort of wuss here. I have an 80 lb German Shepherd and a 45 lb mutt. They can handle their own but we all no how a fight with a real pit bull will end. No matter what dog you have. If there was only one and it got aggressive I would take a bite or two to get to it and kill it with my hands and sort of enjoy doing it.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Don't use a pellet or airsoft gun. you will just pi$$ them off. worse, you may give them an infection or blind them as already noted.

Do use a good quality fog or foam pepper/mace/oc spray. I like foam because it sticks to stuff really well and is a cast iron bi@#h to get off. trust me on this...... anyway, if the dog still has his nuts, try to get them as well as the face. nothing like pepperfoam on your junk. this is considered a form of torture for a reason. bunghole is also a valid target once you have hosed said dog's face well enough to disorient. I've given such sprays to my mother and sister for personal protection and advised them to use them on dogs as well as threatening humans.

anything that can be mistaken for/considered a deadly weapon is a no-go unless you have a permit and, if you do, don't mess around with fakes. carry the real thing.

arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    Ok thanks guys for the advice on the sprays/foams.
    To cut off any new posts about arbud's hatred for dogs, I love dogs and always have. Just not pitbulls, and it is not some media hype thing. they are the only dog that have ever bitten me AND one of my daughters. (2 different dogs).
    Soooooo all of you pit bull lovers bring it on, but you know the reason you have them. Do they win tops in the class for agility, coarssing, obedience, etc. no they are bred for one thing. Lets hear how they were your favorite dogs as kids and how you would trust your babies with them---what ever!

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Um bud, nobody is calling you a dog hater. ;)

I've been around pit bulls, they don't bother me any more than any other dog, I like dogs. The only one that ever attacked me was a German Shepherd but that was just a poorly socialized dog.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    What are the leash laws for MD? I agree with everyone else about no BB or Softair guns. Just use some pepper spray.
    Although, that should be after you have reported this to Animal Control. I'm willing to bet that a call to AC about loose aggressive pit bulls with get an almost immediate response.

hailtoby

Running with the Devil.
    Sep 5, 2009
    Charles County
    Ok thanks guys for the advice on the sprays/foams.
    To cut off any new posts about arbud's hatred for dogs, I love dogs and always have. Just not pitbulls, and it is not some media hype thing. they are the only dog that have ever bitten me AND one of my daughters. (2 different dogs).
    Soooooo all of you pit bull lovers bring it on, but you know the reason you have them. Do they win tops in the class for agility, coarssing, obedience, etc. no they are bred for one thing. Lets hear how they were your favorite dogs as kids and how you would trust your babies with them---what ever!

For the record, you brought it up and I am only responding to your challenge. I would have kept quiet otherwise.

I have two pits and I have them for only one reason as you mention. Its most likely the same reason you keep your 45lb mutt around, unless your mutt will win tops in class for agility, coarsing, and/or obedience as you mention.

Pits were never my favorite as achild, but they are now my favorite as an adult and I do trust my babies with them. But the dogs I have described are my dogs, I cant speak for your neighbors.

Now that you bring it up, though, youre probably right. All other dogs are ok, but I only keep my pits for one reason, I assume you were alluding to dog fighting or at least wanting a fierce dog known for its skill in pit fighting. Youre right. You would also be right if you assumed my AR and FAL were only for 'assaulting' 30 people at a time, or that the only reason I own a 33rd mag for my glock was to pull a Tuscon. I probably dont need more than a pump shotgun or a bolt action rifle, right? Can you sense my sarcasm? I'm sure you cant see me rolling my eyes as I type this, but if you could, you would feel an impending sense of sarcasm about this paragraph.

When I was a kid, my mother and I were both attacked by a GSD. I was never attacked by any other dog, what difference does it make?

Now that thats out of the way, tell the owner that his dogs are bothering you on your walks and you would like it to stop. If he doesnt respond, call animal control. A couple of fines and the hassle of picking them up from the pund, might create a better sense of vigilance on his part. If my neighbors dogs worried me, I would carry pepper spray in the mean time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom