• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Congrats. Going to see Charlie was one of the best firearms related decisions I have ever made. Despite being a CMP rifle, he found a problem that he fixed on the spot.

I just received an email that my other CMP orders are being processed - my first stop will be with Charlie.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Yesterday another friend took two Garands he just received from CMP to Charlie for an inspection. Both were CMP Service Grade, one was a SA and one was a IHC.

Sure enough the headspace on the SA was bad and Charlie ended up having to change the bolt on it.

According to Charlie, CMP's QA is slipping.

FWIW I think it would be a good idea for anyone with a Garand recently purchased from CMP to take it to Charlie for a once over. $45 well spent.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    I took in my CMP SA today. Everything was going great until the headspacing. New barrel inbound - hoping it will be a better shooter now!

It was a really informative process - the man knows his art. He said he had inspected over 10,000 Garands and M14s over his career. I believe it, but he pays special attention to each component, treats the rifle as a special creation.

I plan to take my Breda M1D to him when it is delivered.

I think he does work on M1As - he has an example on his website. Can’t hurt to ask.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I hope I can experience a tune up by him. I need to plan a trip up and cordinate a health check on my hra.

Does he do tune ups on m1as?

Charlie does excellent work on M1A's too. Go to his site and click on examples and experiences, the third pic down is one he did for me.

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    Charlie does excellent work on M1A's too. Go to his site and click on examples and experiences, the third pic down is one he did for me.

Awesome, I'm mostly just wanting a look over and if anything jumps out deal with it. Definetetly not trying to make a mountain out of an ant hill unless necessary

And im always a sucker for cleaner triggers.

boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    Charlie Maloney

I've had Charlie do lots of work for me on different rifles. His trigger jobs are outstanding. He is MORE than fair in all his dealings. He wants his customers to see and know what he is doing so that there aren't any questions.

I had him put together a rifle just a notch under National Match quality because my eyes aren't National Match quality. He did a phenomenal job going through the entire rifle, upgrading where necessary and fitting and tuning throughout.

I had Charlie finish a couple of CMP stocks for me. Sure...I could have done it myself. But when he gets finished...the stock is a work of art. The CMP stocks are nice but still have some rough spots and some machine marks on them. He makes sure that the fit is right for accuracy purposes. And his finish is absolutely gorgeous.

He deserves all the accolades he gets for his work and his ethic.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I had all these plans for finishing my stock. I was going down the rabbit hole of wood finishing products, preps, etc. He rubbed boiled linseed oil into it and I love it.

Most times, simplest is best.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    I dont want to pester him, I sent an email after engaging in this thread and never heard anything. Is he doing alright?

He did work on another Garand for me a couple weeks ago and was doing fine, just very busy for being retired.

I would politely reach out again, maybe propose something a few weeks out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom