Charles County Sheriff Berry to retire....WTF?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    Popped up on my FB feed. He announced his retirement today. Reading the article, I think he is looking to move to another position in Gov't. Really vague, and not many questions answered.

My biggest question is, while Berry being a D, I thought he has been a Great sheriff for CC. He campaigned and Won the primary, so now what? Will there be a special election or something? I'm so confused.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Weird.

“I want to make clear to the citizens of Charles County that retiring in this fashion is something I had to do, not something I wanted to do.”

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Case search shows him as one of a number of defendants in a civil rights case that was filed yesterday (in his capacity as County Sheriff). May not be related, but the timing seems interesting. However, this link implies that a "retirement issue within the county" may have something to do with it and that he'll still run.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    He is retiring as he has reached 30 years of service. Working any longer will not do much to his pension. By retiring this month, he starts to draw his pension.

Come january he is going to be sheriff again as he is running unopposed. Except now he is going to receive both his pension AND the sheriffs salary. By having a sufficient period of separation from the county, they cannot claim that its a continuous period of service. He is only 'forced' to do it this way because its the only way to maximize his pension payout. If he was willing to leave a substantial amount of money on the table, he would not be 'forced' to do anything.

Last edited:

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    It's nice to know the citizens of CC have a smart sheriff.

A man I knew in my younger years drew two public pensions. One was from the county at $330,000 per year and another $180,000 from the state’s university pension system. The total annual payments were over $500,000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom