• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blackstar65

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2010
    What's the deal with Charles County IWL? I though about joining but they dont appear as active as other IWL in the state.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I believe that is just a conservation chapter, They don't have any shooting ranges there except when they have youth day. I am not sure if you can hunt on the property if your a member. They also have a young hunters club for kids.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The last I knew they were bankrupt , and had lost the property. Which also put an end to Youth Sportsman Day.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Without going into too many details...... I am a member of the Southern Maryland Chapter of the IWLA.
    (We're not "Charles County Chapter". We serve Charles, St. Mary's and Calvert Counties.)

I had keyboarded an explanation as to what's happened to the Chapter, but, this forum (especially openly) is not the place to 'air the laundry', so, I deleted it.

I'll just say that -

1. Lack of interest by the members
    2. STOOPID decisions by a previous BOD (about 12 years ago) by people that aren't even members any longer
    3. The inability to french-kiss a lawyer's _ _ _,

has just about 'killed off' the Chapter.

We are now just a small core of members that are trying to save the Chapter.

Yes, we allowed hunting. My son has taken some very nice deer off of the property.
    Yes, we had a range, even if it was just called 'a sighting in' range. 125 yards. We also had an area where we could shoot 300 yards.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm not / wasn't a member , just what I'd overheard at the final Youth Sportsman, so no insider info to spill.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    I helped out with the youth days for the archery clinic as of last year. The coordinator said it would most likley be the last year they had the property because they didn't have the money coming in to support it. Pritty sure that came to be so. It is a shame too, that was a nice place for the kids.

johnb007

Jul 6, 2011
    I live in that area and have some interest in this type of group as I have some future hunters in my home.

Sent from my android device using carrier pigeons.

byf43

get ahold of Byf43, sounds like he is trying to keep the rest of it from coming unglued.

Thanks.
    I'm trying to keep the chapter alive, but, there's not much that can be done, now.

I won't air the laundry here, but, there are some people that I'd personally like to 'stick a boot in their _ _ _es' for their actions, about 12 years ago, then, when things started coming to light, they didn't renew and slipped into the darkness, and left 'the mess' for the rest of us to clean up.

One has passed away.
    Nobody will tell me where he's buried, because, IF they did, what I'd leave on his grave could NEVER be considered to be flowers, or even chocolates.
    :mad54::mad54::mad54:

On another note......

There are a total of 3 places where I am the happiest, and at peace.
    The IWLA farm.
    My Grand-Mom's old farm (in Tennessee) - this was sold, back in the early '60s.
    The farm that I have permission to hunt, here in So. Md. (And this may be gone in a couple of months.)

Each place is soooooooooo peaceful.

byf43

I helped out with the youth days for the archery clinic as of last year. The coordinator said it would most likley be the last year they had the property because they didn't have the money coming in to support it. Pritty sure that came to be so. It is a shame too, that was a nice place for the kids.

It sure was!!!!!!!

Here's a pic of my son's FIRST deer, taken at the IWLA farm.
    Youth Hunter Day, 2011.

125+ yards. One shot w/ Remington 870 12 ga. Slug went in just above the right shoulder, took out both lungs and the top of the heart.
    7 pt. (Left brow tine was broken, otherwise this would be a GREAT 8 pt first deer!)
    174 lbs on the hoof.
    (The shotgun is unloaded and is pointing UNDER his arm in the photo. I'd never allow it to point at him!!)

First turkey. Opening day, 2013. IWLA farm.

This farm and the IWLA were VERY GOOD for kids/youngsters!!!!!

byf43

Who purchased it ? For how much ?

I THINK the farm went for $580,000. Not sure of the bottom line, or the name of the buyer.

The building alone, was appraised at $1,000,000, then, add 136± acres of good farmland/swamp; a house that was built in the early 1800s (or so I'm told), two barns, a silo, a 'pavillion', a deep water pond.
    The IWLA also owned the road (about 1 mile) of Gardiner Road. (Where the asphalt ends, to the farm - we owned.)

IF I had the $$$, I would have bought that farm and turned it into my home.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I sure am sorry to hear about the demise of this portion of the IWL (not to mention the potential its use offered for the future of shooting and hunting . . . sigh) but, speaking for myself only, there ain't no amount of acreage, natural beauty or 'profit' that could ever induce me to buy ANY property in MD, EVER again (heck, we cant pack fast enough to get out of here, as it is . . .)!

I do hope that some similar location opportunity comes its way for such a youth-oriented venture again, though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom