• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    Hey guys,
    Is there any fast way to change the mag on a p64. I know practice but there must be a better way. Thanks.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    There are aftermarket mag releases for the P64. One of my friends reloads his Makarov by bumping the heel release with his ring finger of the shooting hand I believe. You may be able to do that with the P64 and an extended release. I suppose you could also drill a hole in it and either run a paracord loop or key ring through the mag release to make it quicker to access. I've seen people do that with a Makarov.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It's a "European style" Heel release.

Good news is you are very unlikely to accidently loose the magazine, or inadvertently dump it.

Bad news is it takes two hands to remove magazine, and you can't do multi-tasking 1 sec reloads. Just the inherent nature of the beast.

If you absolutely positively need to have rapid continuity of fire, tou need Two P64's, and execute a * Warsaw Reload * .

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    It's a "European style" Heel release.

Good news is you are very unlikely to accidently loose the magazine, or inadvertently dump it.

Bad news is it takes two hands to remove magazine, and you can't do multi-tasking 1 sec reloads. Just the inherent nature of the beast.

If you absolutely positively need to have rapid continuity of fire, tou need Two P64's, and execute a * Warsaw Reload * .

It CAN be done quickly.

Use your fresh mag to push the mag release in the heel of the butt. Or use your pinkie. When the old mag drops insert the new mag, Rack n' Roll (tm). Like anything, it takes practice to do well.

EDIT: I wouldn't recommend using the Polish Iron mag release extender without the Polish Iron grip, or you may be dumping mags at the most inopportune and embarrassing times.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    That is "less slow" , but still a long ways from a JMB style thumb release .

Mind you, I'm not condemning heel release pistols, blistering reloads are overrated , slow heel reloads as still as fast as moderately skilled person using speedloaders , etc . Just pointing out the inherent nature of the design philosophy . The design advantages of mags not accidently coming out of place are a real thing, particularly with old school and new school Pocket Pistols .

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Why not just accept that it is what it is and get something designed for quick mag swaps?
    I have a Makarov and it's the only think I don't like about it. Takes two hands and is just awkward.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom