• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Petar

Nov 18, 2010
    Just received my new dust covers as pictured below

So I went to replace these on my rifles, only to find out that one end of the existing cover rod is larger in diameter which prevent it from fitting through the holes on the upper receiver. The wider end is what keeps it in place without the need for a C clip.

Apperantly this type of rod is not a retrofit design that can be installed without removal of the barrel nut.

So I am left with 2 options, remove the barrel nut or cut the rod and install a standard c clip one. Dammit, nothing ever seems easy... end of rant

Attachments

• 20180322_185722.jpg
      20180322_185722.jpg
      60.2 KB · Views: 406

Petar

Nov 18, 2010
    One done...

Attachments

• 20180322_205102.jpg
      20180322_205102.jpg
      54.3 KB · Views: 390
    • 20180322_205054.jpg
      20180322_205054.jpg
      55 KB · Views: 386

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Just received my new dust covers as pictured below

So I went to replace these on my rifles, only to find out that one end of the existing cover rod is larger in diameter which prevent it from fitting through the holes on the upper receiver. The wider end is what keeps it in place without the need for a C clip.

Apperantly this type of rod is not a retrofit design that can be installed without removal of the barrel nut.

So I am left with 2 options, remove the barrel nut or cut the rod and install a standard c clip one. Dammit, nothing ever seems easy... end of rant

Where did you get those rods so I can avoid them in the future. I think I may actually be done withhe metal dust covers and going to the polymer ones that just pop in. With all the different barrel nuts and stuff seems like there is too much hassle involved in a switch or maintenance if need be.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I like the idea of printing something inside of the dust cover. Other than "your fricked" as was seen previously on a LEO's dust cover...

The caliber designation is a nice touch. Trying to think of other things to say on it...

1. Feed me
    2. Rock n Roll
    3. Such Fun

...etc :)

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I like the idea of printing something inside of the dust cover. Other than "your fricked" as was seen previously on a LEO's dust cover...

The caliber designation is a nice touch. Trying to think of other things to say on it...

1. Feed me
    2. Rock n Roll
    3. Such Fun

My Black Rain Ordnance receiver set I built into 300blk rifle has a dust cover that says, "Let it Rain"

Petar

Nov 18, 2010
    Where did you get those rods so I can avoid them in the future. I think I may actually be done withhe metal dust covers and going to the polymer ones that just pop in. With all the different barrel nuts and stuff seems like there is too much hassle involved in a switch or maintenance if need be.

I don't remember, but looks just like the one pictured

Attachments

• downloadfile.jpg
      downloadfile.jpg
      108.2 KB · Views: 274

Petar

Nov 18, 2010

1. Feed me
    2. Rock n Roll
    3. Such Fun

I did it as a precaution. Do not want any of my friends at the range accidently feed a 5.56 through it.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I don't remember, but looks just like the one pictured

good to know. I know I ran into a similar issue on a build I just finished. Dust cover rod prevented the handguard from sliding all the way on by 1/32. I just cut it. I usually get the c-clip rods and if need be trim them and not use the c-clip because the handguard or barrel nut will prevent the rod from sliding all the way out. Well that's the reason I use, normally I end up losing the c-clip :D

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

1. Feed me
    2. Rock n Roll
    3. Such Fun

You can find these all over the place. A member, Harford Engraving (maybe former member?) sells them on Brownells. I use the caliber specific ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom