• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • disston

Nov 5, 2009
    Silver Spring
    I own a Socom 16 by Springfield. I'd like to put a stock length, longer, barrel on it. Is this a do it yourself job? Will the job done by a pro be really better? Can I keep the synthetic stock I now have or need different stock. Prolly need barrel and compenstor, anything else? If I have another barrel put on by someone, how much, ruffly, should that cost?

I have a barrel and a barrel wrench.

Charlie

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    I would pay a pro to do it.

If you are using a regular chrome moly or stainless barrel you will have to finish ream the chamber, and set the headspace. If you don't know what you are doing this is a good way to ruin a new barrel, or end up with a rifle that is dangerous.

If you are using a GI or Criterion chrome lined barrel, it isn't recommended to ream the chamber because the chrome lining doesn't stand up real well to being cut and tends to flake. This means you just have to hope you get a barrel that headspaces properly on your receiver since you can't cut the chamber. With the varying tolerances of commercial M1A receivers, you could have some troubles when using a chrome lined barrel. I had this happen with one of my rifles. Good luck. :)

I am not positive, but I don't think the Socom barrel has a wider profile than a GI type barrel, so in other words I *think* your existing stock would be just fine.

disston

Nov 5, 2009
    Silver Spring
    Thanks and I will follow your advice concerning a pro, will do. I live with a guy who is somewhat of a gunsmith but for reasons too lengthy to get into I'd not like him to do this. The barrel I may have use of is a TRW. I'm told these were at one time the best but now I think this may not apply to the Socom. Would like to have a rifle with more accuracy and the 16" barrel should be the key to what I want. There, of course, is also the problem of my shooting not worth a damn. Maybe will try the trigger first, this I think I can do. Just have to replace any pieces I mess up.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    From the looks of it, you will probably need to buy a standard gas cylinder plug as well.

Grampaw

Constitutionalist
    Nov 14, 2008
    Perryville, MD
    Gas system

In order to chnge from the 16" barrel to the 22" one, I believe you would need to replace the gas system also. In reviews of the SOCOM it said Springfield had reworked the gas system in order to get enough pressure from the shorter barrel. I love those M14's in all of their different configurations. Good luck with your project, and let us see pics after it is done.

Grampaw

Constitutionalist
    Nov 14, 2008
    Perryville, MD
    If you need a good M14 smith, one of the best lives in our area. His name is Charlie Maloney, and his e-mail address is "charliesarts@comcast.net". He glass bedded my M1A loaded into a McMillan stock, and he did a beautiful job. He sweetened the trigger up and a couple of other things while he was at it, and it cut group size in half. His prices are good, and his credentials are excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom