Chamber, Safe On, Holster, Safe Off, Carry.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    safety comes off after you draw and are pushing out. if something happened to be pressing the trigger in the holster, you don't want to be popping off the safety.

i know we're talking carry, but one will be dq'd in uspsa and similar sports/competitions for having a SAO gun loaded and holstered with the safety off.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    No manual safety. Chamber, holster, carry on. :)

Never had one with manual safety so that’s the best I can give you. :cool:

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    A manual safety is just a switch on the gun that makes it not work. You don't want the gun to not work when you need it to work. If you have a gun with a manual safety, train to disengage it on your draw so it'll be off when you need it, just incase sh!t happened and it got bumped on somewhere along the way. If you want to carry it safety off, don't get a gun with a manual safety.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I think if I was carrying something with a manual safety, I would always practice taking the safety off as part of the draw...regardless of whether I actually used it. That being the case, I might as well use it.

What if the one time you need it, your shirt or love handles accidentally engaged the safety without you knowing :shrug:

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    No manual safety. Chamber, holster, carry on. :)

Never had one with manual safety so that’s the best I can give you. :cool:
    This is the way.

In all sincerity there's a huge component of figuring out how you're going to train. I opined in another thread that muscle memory for me is a Glock on my right in an OWB holster. I've drawn from that configuration for more than twenty years.

A former co-worker was a distinguished expert pistol shooter but admitted that the Glock gave him trouble at first. He learned handguns in the Air Force and was a competitive shooter with the M9. He loved that damn huge, heavy Beretta with its manual safety. Moving to the Glock for his police service weapon took some work.

If you really love external safeties there are plenty of carry options available. If you're willing to learn a gun without them, get practicing and get comfortable with it.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I get tired of beating my head about how to carry. People are gonna people.
    However you carry with whatever thing you carry, practice drawing that thing with 1 hand.
    Your OWB under a coat or unbuttoned overshirt is different than coming out from under a t shirt when IWB.
    Don't think you're magically going to get to it in any position you carry that day. Do 20 reps before you walk out the door.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    How you carry is predicated by what you carry.

IMHO:
    SAO revolver (could happen): Hammer down on an empty chamber. (transfer bar safety revolvers being the exception)

D/A revolvers: hammer down on a loaded chamber

SAO pistol: Cocked and locked. (round chambered, cocked, safety on) OR hammer down, safety off on an EMPTY chamber. I recommend against chambering a round and lowering the hammer as the hammer can slip and ND.

D/A pistol: Round chambered and decocked, safety if so installed off. This may be argued with, but even with DA pistols with a safety and decocker (Beretta, FNX for example) I prefer to carry decocked with the safety off. I feel like the heavy initial trigger pull is a better safety than a safety switch.

Striker:. Round chambered and (if equipped) safety on. (e.g. Springer XD)

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    My primary motivation is having witnessed the number of NDs while trying to holster/re-holster.

My personal experience has been primarily with the 1911 and revolvers.

But I'm willing to branch out. :)

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    My primary motivation is having witnessed the number of NDs while trying to holster/re-holster.

A safety isn't the solution for NDs when holstering. The solution is good gear that is maintained and intentional acts when holstering. People get complacent and start slamming their guns into their holsters without looking to go to the next drill or to look fancy.

If holstering at 3/4 o'clock, look the muzzle into a quality holster and ensure nothing is in the way. By quality holster, I mean one that is not worn and one that will properly cover the trigger guard. Some hybrid or leather holsters wear in a way that the leather starts bending in to the trigger guard area. As you're holstering, hip out so thar even if the gun does go off, it will hit the ground outside of your foot and not your thigh.

For appendix, either take the holster off, put the gun in, and then out the holstered gun on, or step back with your gun-side leg while casting the barrel forward. That way if it goes off, it will miss your pecker and femoral arteries and instead hit the ground in front of you.

Gear shouldn't be relied on to fix training issues.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

How many have you witnessed? How many years ago was this?

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    How many have you witnessed? How many years ago was this?
    On Youtubes, several, bordering on many. :)

Personally, one. But they were clearing a jam in a sub-calibered 1911 on a firing line in the 80s.

I think the point here is to mitigate one's chances of experiencing them first hand.

I'm sure we all agree and would find nothing to argue over about that! :innocent0

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County

If you're carrying a 1911, then keep the safety on until you draw. It's the locked part of cocked and locked.

Part of the draw (practice this) is disengaging the safety on the draw. Some instructors teach safety off as your hand grips the weapon, others teach safety off while drawing after the muzzle has left the holster. YMMV

And of course, keep the booger hook off the bang button until you're ready to send it

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    On Youtubes, several, bordering on many. :)

Personally, one. But they were clearing a jam in a sub-calibered 1911 on a firing line in the 80s.

I think the point here is to mitigate one's chances of experiencing them first hand.

I'm sure we all agree and would find nothing to argue over about that! :innocent0
    Oh. So you didn't witness any, but that 1. Thought there was something going on with people you were shooting with.

Long ago I don't think training was anywhere near what it has been the last 10 years. That's why I asked.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I was asking what I may have missed in my proposal that

"Chamber, Safe On, Holster, Safe Off, Carry" is a valid procedure to help aid prevention of NDs.

What kind of gun?
    Aside from a single action only, if I had one with a manual safety and I was scared enough, I would holster with the safety engaged and after it's holstered,I would switch the safety to the off position.
    Double action only, thumb on the back of the hammer so you can have a tactile feel of the trigger pressing.

The point is, a safety shouldn't be the thing one relies on for safe holstering.

Finger off trigger while checking the holster before/as you are holstering is paramount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom