• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Aug 08 2023Application (23A82) for stay presented to Justice Alito and by him referred to the Court is granted. The June 30, 2023 order and July 5, 2023 judgment of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas, case No. 4:22-cv-691, insofar as they vacate the final rule of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, 87 Fed. Reg. 24652 (April 26, 2022), are stayed pending the disposition of the appeal in the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit and disposition of a petition for a writ of certiorari, if such a writ is timely sought. Should certiorari be denied, this stay shall terminate automatically. In the event certiorari is granted, the stay shall terminate upon the sending down of the judgment of this Court. Justice Thomas, Justice Alito, Justice Gorsuch, and Justice Kavanaugh would deny the application for stay.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Aug 08 2023Application (23A82) for stay presented to Justice Alito and by him referred to the Court is granted. The June 30, 2023 order and July 5, 2023 judgment of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas, case No. 4:22-cv-691, insofar as they vacate the final rule of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, 87 Fed. Reg. 24652 (April 26, 2022), are stayed pending the disposition of the appeal in the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit and disposition of a petition for a writ of certiorari, if such a writ is timely sought. Should certiorari be denied, this stay shall terminate automatically. In the event certiorari is granted, the stay shall terminate upon the sending down of the judgment of this Court. Justice Thomas, Justice Alito, Justice Gorsuch, and Justice Kavanaugh would deny the application for stay.
    Can someone translate that into the English language for, you know, us common folk?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Can someone translate that into the English language for, you know, us common folk?
    The SCOTUS is allowing the process to unfold.

If Garland fails to appeal or is not granted certiorari, the stay is then dismissed.

4 justices have gone on record of not taking the case.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    The SCOTUS is allowing the process to unfold.

If Garland fails to appeal or is not granted certiorari, the stay is then dismissed.

4 justices have gone on record of not taking the case.
    I don't think so exactly. This is diferent to me. Just 4 deny the stay.

Justice Thomas, Justice Alito, Justice Gorsuch, and Justice Kavanaugh "would deny the application for stay."

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Link to the order on the Supreme Court Docket:

It appears Alito polled the full court and it was 5 to 4 in favor of the stay. However it might have been 4 to 4 with one not voting (?) because I think ties go to the plaintiff (?).

Also both sides have already asked for certiorari in their filings so I don't know how the following is effected? It could mean it is probable this case will go all the way.

"Should certiorari be denied, this stay shall terminate
    automatically. In the event certiorari is granted, the stay
    shall terminate upon the sending down of the judgment of this
    Court."

Here is your favorite long winded YouTube Lawyer analysis of this:

Last edited:

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    No. I have extra parts galore. I'll find them later. If I need 1 small part, I order 10.
    I just don't understand why you don't work on your guns in the same room as the parts, unless you need that workout running back and forth.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I just don't understand why you don't work on your guns in the same room as the parts, unless you need that workout running back and forth.
    Lol. Trying to organize. My workshop is tiny, as you know.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Some movement this week

A three-judge panel for the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on Monday ruled President Joe Biden's bid to ban so-called ghost gun kits cannot be enforced on two unfinished gun part manufacturers. Justice Department lawyers filed an emergency application on Thursday, asking the justices to "vacate" the original district court's injunction against the regulations, which was subsequently stayed by a narrow 5-4 ruling on Aug. 8.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    I'd like to read the SCOTUS order!! :(

Case 4:23-cv-00095-O Mock V Garland

quoted the Court’s injunction extends to enjoin enforcement of the Final Rule against the Firearms Policy Coalition, Inc. and all of its members whose interests it has represented since day one of this litigation.

So again- Where is the SCOTUS ruling?-

Last edited:

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    . Justice Department lawyers filed an emergency application on Thursday, asking the justices to "vacate" the original district court's injunction against the regulations, which was subsequently stayed by a narrow 5-4 ruling on Aug. 8.

Something doesn't make sense. today is Oct 6, 2023. this refers to the ruling on Aug 8 2023.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Some movement this week

I can't imagine SCOTUS intervening, if for no other reason than this is just a PI, not a final ruling. They've stayed out of overruling inferior courts on "emergency" PIs on 2A issues, for the most part. Also I think odds are >>50% chance of SCOTUS upholding or emplacing a mandate against the rule, once the issue percolates back up on final decision.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    . Justice Department lawyers filed an emergency application on Thursday, asking the justices to "vacate" the original district court's injunction against the regulations, which was subsequently stayed by a narrow 5-4 ruling on Aug. 8.

Something doesn't make sense. today is Oct 6, 2023. this refers to the ruling on Aug 8 2023.
    It is two different things. The first Aug. 8 was on the Vacator finding and the new one is on the Preliminary Injunction.

This one explains what is happening:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom