• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daddyursus

Trusted Shellback
    Jan 11, 2013
    In a van down by the river
    I can't talk to past history. In the past year, I have purchased the Zastava N-PAP and O-PAP from CAI and am extremely happy with their build and performance. I bought my buddies WASR 10/63 dated 1965 also imported by CAI and it's a gem.
    Personally I think the wood furniture adds to battle weapon look.

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    The only reason CAI has better guns on the market is because they are out of the box import guns. The ones they actually build themselves are crap. The yugo imports and some Romain are nice

Bedwell

Aug 14, 2013
    I just picked up my Zastava M70 today. (Century Arms) Anyway has anyone else had issues with the safety lever? I have only been able to get it into the firing position once and it is taking alot of force to be able to move it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this easier or does it just loosen up over time? So far I am disappointed at the moment for being a brand new M70 the gun is very dirty and one of the mags is not functioning correctly and both of the mags look used as well. :mad54:

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    I just picked up my Zastava M70 today. (Century Arms) Anyway has anyone else had issues with the safety lever? I have only been able to get it into the firing position once and it is taking alot of force to be able to move it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this easier or does it just loosen up over time? So far I am disappointed at the moment for being a brand new M70 the gun is very dirty and one of the mags is not functioning correctly and both of the mags look used as well. :mad54:

was it a parts kit gun or a PAP?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The only reason CAI has better guns on the market is because they are out of the box import guns. The ones they actually build themselves are crap. The yugo imports and some Romain are nice
    It's more complex than that, even.

"CAI quality" is essentially a meaningless term. CAI produces a lot of guns in a lot of different ways using a lot of different subcontractors. They have, in the past, employed some really top-notch builders for some of their guns. Other times, they've been a little less picky. Similarly, the Romanians (WASR) don't have a top rep for quality, whereas the Serbs (PAP) and Russians (Saiga) do... so when they're starting off with a ban-compliant single-stack host, there's a lot of room for variation there.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    From what I have seen from CAI, you can get good guns and you can get crappy guns. The key is researching the flaws and being able to pick out your gun. If you buy one sight unseen, its just luck. Canted sights, gas blocks...etc. If you know what to look for and get one without these issues, you are good to go. I did not know when I bought my CETME. It had a CAI made Muzzle break installed back from AWB. Well I did not know to look hard at barrel length. They had cut the barrel. Shoved a drill in the end that made the crown look like blind man directed a guy with Parkinson's. I had to cut the barrel and recrown. My friend got a AK back when they were $320. Shot 5K plus rounds in it and sold it for $320. I sold my CETME and actually made money. They are not top quality but for the price they are hard to beat if you get one thats ok.

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    With Oct. 1 coming, this is definitely a "buy once, cry once" situation. I was thinking about getting a cheaper AK (I have never had one before), but I am backing off that idea, pulling out the credit card and just sucking it up. You could get a cheap one that is ok, but you might not. And if the one you get is really crap, you may end up having to spend more with a gunsmith fixing it than a good one cost in the first place. There is no "I'll just sell it and then use the money to get something better" with these anymore.

If you do buy an expensive one, then decide it was a waste of money and you don't use it - just sell it out of state. You can still sell them, you just can't buy them anymore after October 1. An arsenal will hold its value better. If you can't afford an arsenal, I'd just get an unconverted Saiga. You can always have it converted later.

usmctankmech

Feb 5, 2013
    Manchester,MD
    With Oct. 1 coming, this is definitely a "buy once, cry once" situation. I was thinking about getting a cheaper AK (I have never had one before), but I am backing off that idea, pulling out the credit card and just sucking it up. You could get a cheap one that is ok, but you might not. And if the one you get is really crap, you may end up having to spend more with a gunsmith fixing it than a good one cost in the first place. There is no "I'll just sell it and then use the money to get something better" with these anymore.

If you do buy an expensive one, then decide it was a waste of money and you don't use it - just sell it out of state. You can still sell them, you just can't buy them anymore after October 1. An arsenal will hold its value better. If you can't afford an arsenal, I'd just get an unconverted Saiga. You can always have it converted later.

Yeai think im gonna go AR just because Oct 1st isnt getting any further away. Still want to build an AK.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo

This^^^ I still cry when I open my Visa bill, but you're spot-on about buying quality since the things we need to get before Oct 1 will have to last a loooong time. Hell, if I had kids or grandkids that were too young to buy before Oct 1, I'd pick things up for them and put them in my will. IIRC, that 's the only way they can get things like this going forward.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Could someone point me to the magic ingredient that Arsenal puts in their AKs that somehow makes them "last longer" than everyone else's?

Daddyursus

Trusted Shellback
    Jan 11, 2013
    In a van down by the river
    Could someone point me to the magic ingredient that Arsenal puts in their AKs that somehow makes them "last longer" than everyone else's?

EXACTLY!!!!! My WASR 10/63 has a date stamp of 1975 on it and she still can Rock and Roll with any modern AK. And my Serbian AKs are frankly a joy to own and use. Having an American make AK is kinda like owning a japanese built Corvette.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD

Marketing and fanboy's

ex: KVAR Game Changer hype. Turns out it's an ACE style external folder on a milled 101S with a backwards galil selector for $1375...and people buy them. marketing and fanboy's

unless you're a 'serious collector' you wouldn't understand. :D

I will say that if you want a Russian Army AK74S, KVAR/FIME is as close as you can get.

EDIT- compared to kit guns with US barrels there is no comparison

Last edited:
    Feb 28, 2013
    EXACTLY!!!!! My WASR 10/63 has a date stamp of 1975 on it and she still can Rock and Roll with any modern AK. And my Serbian AKs are frankly a joy to own and use. Having an American make AK is kinda like owning a japanese built Corvette.

Is that what that is on the left side with a triangle next to it?A date stamp?

Mine says 1983, but I just bought it this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom