Cecil county About to get screwed with new gun laws?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • henn5849

Aug 29, 2009
    Cecil County, MD
    Email I also received

Friends,

Republican Cecil County Councilman Alan McCarthy proposed a bill that would ban shooting in Cecil County and leave law abiding citizens defenseless against criminals attempting to harm them or their property.

I normally try to avoid seeming rude or confrontational, but this proposal makes my blood boil!

McCarthy's shooting ban scheme would make it illegal in Cecil County to fire or discharge any firearm:
    On the property of another person without written permission of the land owner or tenant;
    “In the direction of any residential dwelling… or school”
    “On public property” without advance written permission
    “Wherein the projectile or projectiles traverse the property of another so as to endanger life, limb or property”
    “Within 150 yards of any residential dwelling …or school” without written permission of the property owner

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    I fail to see how this is getting "screwed". Most if not all of these are just common sense gun safety. Are Cecil Co. residents afraid their AK celebrations are going to be inhibited by not knowing where their bullets are striking? Do they hunt without knowing what is downrange of their target? Do they shoot on public property without permission? Some of these laws regarding school zones are already federal law. It seems if gun owners can't act responsibly it just drives elected officials to try their best to curb stupid behavior. And as Forrest said, "stupid is as stupid does."

henn5849

Aug 29, 2009
    Cecil County, MD
    150 yards of a dwelling on private property? A little excessive.

In the direction of a residential dwelling? What if the dwelling is a mile away? Who determines if it is in the direction?

Celebratory gunfire is bad IMO.

On public property without written permission? Guess elk neck state forest, on irishtown rd, and the property at black hills ranger station, mckinneytown rd, will have to implement new policies to get permission.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    150 yards of a dwelling on private property? A little excessive.

That is common in many MD counties already. Do you really want some nut job with a weapon shooting into the air 450 feet from your house where you kids are out in the yard with their sparklers or watching fireworks? What is the likelihood that celebratory gunfire also involves the consumption of copious amounts of alcohol?

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    That yard law is for hunting. Not target shooting.

Depends on the county I guess. St. Mary's simply says discharge of a firearm within 150 yards of a building that can be used as a dwelling. It doesn't say we can target shoot but not hunt. It just says "discharge".

It doesn't matter if it is hunting or target shooting. The topic of this thread is "celebratory gunfire".

henn5849

Aug 29, 2009
    Cecil County, MD
    Depends on the county I guess. St. Mary's simply says discharge of a firearm within 150 yards of a building that can be used as a dwelling. It doesn't say we can target shoot but not hunt. It just says "discharge".

It doesn't matter if it is hunting or target shooting. The topic of this thread is "celebratory gunfire".

The topic is celebratory gunfire, but, he is adding a lot of other things into it.

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    I do believe State pre-empts any local legislation that does not have "Grandfather" status.
    In other words, any "new" laws cannot be enforced, unless "blessed" by the State.

It is already unlawful to discharge a firearm into the ground, or into the air, I do believe.

Looks like a politician is trying to make "hay" out of a very unfortunate event.
    Seems to us Cecil could address the issue, without making a case for a "new" law.

R

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    Email I also received

McCarthy's shooting ban scheme would make it illegal in Cecil County to fire or discharge any firearm:
    On the property of another person without written permission of the land owner or tenant;
    In the direction of any residential dwelling; or school;
    On public property without advance written permission
    Wherein the projectile or projectiles traverse the property of another so as to endanger life, limb or property Within 150 yards of any residential dwelling or school without written permission of the property owner

The topic is celebratory gunfire, but, he is adding a lot of other things into it.

So let's dissect the other things.
    Do you want anyone discharging a firearm on YOUR property without your permission?
    Do you want your neighbor shooting in the direction of your house or child's school?
    Do you think people should shoot in public parks without prior permission?
    Do you want someone shooting across your property within 450 feet of your house?

Again, these seem like common sense. But what serves as common sense for me may be a different version of common sense in Cecil County. Not having ever been there to my knowledge, I can't speculate on just what is considered firearm safety there.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    WTF is your problem with this? Fuc^tards shooting in the air killed a little girl. This does nothing to ban defending yourself or hunting or even shooting off your own porch if you can do it safely. It seeks to ban endangering your neighbors or random strangers miles away. Gee if you have a neighbor 50yds behind your house you can't throw out a few sandbags and shoot your 30-06. You can't tresspass and shoot on somebody elses property. Your projectiles have to stay on your property. It even allows your bullets to leave your property if you can guarantee they won't hurt anyone. You can't just wander onto public property and spray bullets willy nilly. You have to clear it with authorities to verify nobody else is using the area. If you have neighbors within 150yds you need their consent because they are within the range of ricochets and potentially damgerous sound levels.
    These are the same rules in place where I live and if you have seen the videos from my house we get downright extreme while maintaining safe lanes of fire and not endangering half the county.

CLP

Dec 18, 2012
    Just because they make a new law doesn't mean it is going to prevent another idiot from discharging a firearm into the air... Do they think someone who doesn't know or doesn't care to obey the firearm safety rules is going to pay attention to any laws in effect?

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    WTF is your problem with this? Fuc^tards shooting in the air killed a little girl. This does nothing to ban defending yourself or hunting or even shooting off your own porch if you can do it safely. It seeks to ban endangering your neighbors or random strangers miles away. Gee if you have a neighbor 50yds behind your house you can't throw out a few sandbags and shoot your 30-06. You can't tresspass and shoot on somebody elses property. Your projectiles have to stay on your property. It even allows your bullets to leave your property if you can guarantee they won't hurt anyone. You can't just wander onto public property and spray bullets willy nilly. You have to clear it with authorities to verify nobody else is using the area. If you have neighbors within 150yds you need their consent because they are within the range of ricochets and potentially damgerous sound levels.
    These are the same rules in place where I live and if you have seen the videos from my house we get downright extreme while maintaining safe lanes of fire and not endangering half the county.
    I agree completely. I just didn't want to get accused of "being rude"as I apparently am prone to do.

henn5849

Aug 29, 2009
    Cecil County, MD
    Where this bothers me is...

I have a 100' high hill behind my home. It is probably 100 yards wide. Use to be a gravel pit. Neighbors home is 100 yards to the left of my home. I target shoot into the hill behind my home. Sheriffs office and state police say it is safe and does not put anyone in danger. This would effect me.

Again, I stated before, I don't agree with people doing celebratory gunfire. Especially after that little girl was killed.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    Where this bothers me is...

I have a 100' high hill behind my home. It is probably 100 yards wide. Use to be a gravel pit. Neighbors home is 100 yards to the left of my home. I target shoot into the hill behind my home. Sheriffs office and state police say it is safe and does not put anyone in danger. This would effect me.

Again, I stated before, I don't agree with people doing celebratory gunfire. Especially after that little girl was killed.

Then it sounds like all you need to do is get your neighbor's OK to shoot at the hill (within reasonable hours) and you are GTG. Now if there is a school on the other side of the hill and your targets are near the top, that's a different story. But you started this with a link to an article about yahoos using their firearms in lieu of fireworks to celebrate.

henn5849

Aug 29, 2009
    Cecil County, MD
    Then it sounds like all you need to do is get your neighbor's OK to shoot at the hill (within reasonable hours) and you are GTG. Now if there is a school on the other side of the hill and your targets are near the top, that's a different story. But you started this with a link to an article about yahoos using their firearms in lieu of fireworks to celebrate.

The first article is what they are telling the public. The post under it is what he is adding along with it. Where will it stop? How much more will he add?

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I think it's covered already. Reckless endangerment is already on the state law books and is a three year misdemeanor. However, don't expect the fact something is already illegal dissuade a politician from chasing a headline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom