• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Parry

Nov 22, 2020
    On my way out of Maryland
    They have it for $375 which is more than what I'd like to pay but it is nearby (15 minutes, very convenient). With this package, you either get 30 days unlimited shooting at their range or 3 guest passes if you are a member. I was going to take one further away that costs close to $200. Has any of you taken the CCW course? If so, how was it? Is it worth it?

Parry

Nov 22, 2020
    Correction, it costs $375, plus the non member charge for ammo ($21.95/box vs 15.95 for members), and then they add 6% tax over the entire costs. Total is over $420 something.... At least you could add $100 for the DC, $80 for Utah, and they have someone there for livescan for another $60 or so. That's pretty steep for the convenience.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You'll have to tell us if it's worth it to you . It's not unconscionably high , close to you , and includes 30 days of range time.

If close and 30 days range time have meaning to you , it probably is .

If you don't , then next closest analogue is drive 25 miles to Maryland Small Arms for their Multi State Class .

csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    You'll have to tell us if it's worth it to you . It's not unconscionably high , close to you , and includes 30 days of range time.

If close and 30 days range time have meaning to you , it probably is .

If you don't , then next closest analogue is drive 25 miles to Maryland Small Arms for their Multi State Class .
    Or up to Frederick..Heritage or Machine Guns Nest. Both are great places and offer ccw courses.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Not sure where Gilbert's is located, but I would say check out Guntry. Class size was 24, training was not boring, nice facility, $300 included fingerprints.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I took the CCW class at Gilbert’s a few weekends ago. I chose them because of the convenience factor but I should have also looked into the total cost. The class itself was so-so. I did not feel I learned anything above and beyond what I learned in the Utah class which I think was 8 hours. The first day was all classroom instruction and the second day had some classroom instruction but also had lots of time hanging around to get fingerprinting and the live fire portion of the class. I felt that they could have organized the fingerprinting and live fire portions of the class by simply issuing a number to each participant and dividing the group into two haves, one set going for fingerprinting and the second set going for the live fire test. But no one from Gilbert’s seemed interested in making the class more efficient for both themselves and the participants. It also got very old when the instructors used every opportunity to push annual memberships.

All in all I got what I wanted, but I definitely paid the price for the convenience. I cannot give them an unequivocal two thumbs up.

Cal68

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Consider the context of efficient . The fingerprint processing helped to fill out the arbitrary length of time to be spent .

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    I took the CCW class at Gilbert’s a few weekends ago. I chose them because of the convenience factor but I should have also looked into the total cost. The class itself was so-so. I did not feel I learned anything above and beyond what I learned in the Utah class which I think was 8 hours. The first day was all classroom instruction and the second day had some classroom instruction but also had lots of time hanging around to get fingerprinting and the live fire portion of the class. I felt that they could have organized the fingerprinting and live fire portions of the class by simply issuing a number to each participant and dividing the group into two haves, one set going for fingerprinting and the second set going for the live fire test. But no one from Gilbert’s seemed interested in making the class more efficient for both themselves and the participants. It also got very old when the instructors used every opportunity to push annual memberships.

All in all I got what I wanted, but I definitely paid the price for the convenience. I cannot give them an unequivocal two thumbs up.

Cal68
    When I went for my HQL, at the location that must not be named, they did a complete package with fingerprints and filing the application online. During the later part of the class they would take a couple people out at a time, process them, and send you back. You ended up only missing 10-15 minutes of her lecture.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    When I went for my HQL, at the location that must not be named, they did a complete package with fingerprints and filing the application online. During the later part of the class they would take a couple people out at a time, process them, and send you back. You ended up only missing 10-15 minutes of her lecture.
    You should name the place because it seems like they were very efficient and transparent about pricing. Others may want to go there for the training.

Cal68

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I am not following the OP; the OP knew the cost before he signed up for the class and he also knew the convenance (how close) was important.

Then says high cost, my view of that is they did not spring that cost on him at the last minute and seems a bit un-fair to me to complain now.
    He got what he wanted, and anything service oriented is whatever the value the company puts on it. My company charges less in some cases and more in some cases, we have lost jobs because we were high and got jobs because we were low.

Don't like the price don't go there

Parry

Nov 22, 2020

Cal68
    Great write up and feedback @Cal68. I wasn’t complaining in my post and was just seeking feedback for those who went to Gilbert’s. This post actually helps members. Thanks!

Saberwalk

MDS Supporter
    Aug 13, 2020
    MD
    I obtained my MD and DC CCW training from Capital Defense Instructions: https://www.capitaldefenseinstruction.com/training/concealed-carry-courses/. As I recall it was $350 per jurisdiction but $430 if you did both. It was on the tail end of COVID so class instruction was allowed via Zoom and the range portion was at the NRA range. What was really nice is that in addition to Mark Briley our instructor, we also had George Lyon a defense lawyer and one of the original plaintiffs in the Heller case. Got quite a bit out of the class and it was certainly worth it for me. I also did my Virginia permit through CDI and am still taking marksmanship classes with Mark who has a really nice, low key style.

LuckyShot

Pissing off Liberals
    Apr 13, 2010
    on 270
    I did the class there and added the $100 DC renewal. I looked in july and they were booked till late AUG until they changed the class seats from 20 heads to 40. As far as options for the capital area at that time that was it and i had no reason to drive 50 min-1 hour to another class on a weekend. I paid for convenience and my time/sleep/gas was worth more than 140.

Dont expect to learn anything in there and do most of your research yourself when it comes to laws and bad/good shoots. Expect a lot of noobs and 'what if' scenarios.

As far as the free range time its a scam!!! We were told since we took the class we were allowed to draw from a holster but only on the left side range. Well...the left side range is under renovation so no to that.

The free range doesnt apply if you bring your own ammo!

Moral of the story we had little options back in july and they rlly did everything in house. The picture and fingerprints along with the cert. As far as price it was standard to me, i saw 400-500 at the time at other places.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    Before Rona, MOCO insisted you buy ammo from them.

The ammo is Fiocchi and competitively priced.

Knowing this, it is simply better to get the ammo and not pay for range time IN ADDITION to the ammo.

I hope the left side has reopened by now…

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I did the class there and added the $100 DC renewal. I looked in july and they were booked till late AUG until they changed the class seats from 20 heads to 40. As far as options for the capital area at that time that was it and i had no reason to drive 50 min-1 hour to another class on a weekend. I paid for convenience and my time/sleep/gas was worth more than 140.

Dont expect to learn anything in there and do most of your research yourself when it comes to laws and bad/good shoots. Expect a lot of noobs and 'what if' scenarios.

As far as the free range time its a scam!!! We were told since we took the class we were allowed to draw from a holster but only on the left side range. Well...the left side range is under renovation so no to that.

The free range doesnt apply if you bring your own ammo!

Moral of the story we had little options back in july and they rlly did everything in house. The picture and fingerprints along with the cert. As far as price it was standard to me, i saw 400-500 at the time at other places.
    My experience at Gilbert's matches the write-up above by LuckyShot. I took the class in September and I can tell you that the left side of the range was still not "open" at that time even though that is where I did my live fire test. And it did not look like it was ready to open anytime soon. So the targets were fixed at the back end of the range and we had to step backwards and forwards for the various CCW drills since the targets were not moving. There were a few noobs during the fire drill which worried me because of the lack of lane dividers but I survived.

What really spoiled the experience for me was the complete lack of planning and organization on the second day for fingerprinting and the live fire test. Not only was it a complete free for all but there was wrong information regarding making copies of driver's licenses, and that made several of us give up our spots in the line only to find out later that the photocopies were not needed. I was surprised that a range that has been doing this CCW class for so long had not figured out a more efficient way of doing it for their customers.

But at the end of the day, I got what I wanted in terms of paperwork, so "all's well that end's well" as the saying goes (a play by William Shakespeare has the same title).

Cal68

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom