• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JSW

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bryansville, Pa.
    carry concealed in DC but why? there are enough police in that one city that I thought every citizen had thier own police for protection. OHHHH thats right that only applies to the right "people" not the average citizen:sarcasm:

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    No, I doubt it is a repost, but even if it was it definitely would belong in two forums at once. This is not just a DC issue, it is one that can affect both MD and national.

This is awesome, it will scare DC into issuing more permits at the least IMO.

The lawsuit seeks to afford the right to carry a gun to non-District residents who have gun permits issued elsewhere.
    This was already law though in 2007 (and 2008). However it was very much may issue and no one had one as far as I can find.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Maybe this will be the case that the SCOTUS hears in regards to the ability to carry for self defense.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Here is the $64,000 question about CCW in DC. Since the District and it's law enforcement is chopped up between DC Metro PD and at least three Federal agencies, what type of issues would a person have if DC did allow carry unless Congress mandated that a DC Metro issued permit be valid everywhere or you would have to get some type of new Federal permit for the District.

Imagine being allowed to carry where DC Metro has authority but not any Federal agency. Oops, cross the street too soon or too late and break a law. Oops, the District transferred control of that building to the Federal government, can't walk on that side of the street now.

Thoughts or views?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Here is the $64,000 question about CCW in DC. Since the District and it's law enforcement is chopped up between DC Metro PD and at least three Federal agencies, what type of issues would a person have if DC did allow carry unless Congress mandated that a DC Metro issued permit be valid everywhere or you would have to get some type of new Federal permit for the District.

Imagine being allowed to carry where DC Metro has authority but not any Federal agency. Oops, cross the street too soon or too late and break a law. Oops, the District transferred control of that building to the Federal government, can't walk on that side of the street now.

Thoughts or views?

Yes, it would be the same as in any other state with concealed carry and federal property. For instance it might be legal to carry in a state and even national parks (starting next year) in that state, but it would still likely be illegal to carry on military bases and federal buildings.
    As far as being on their property when walking down the street, I would think a public sidewalk on a public street would be city property or its dominion unless specifically marked.

By the way, as far as law enforcement agancies in DC and their areas of jurisdiction, there are WAY more than three. I do not know the actual count but it is in the dozen to dozens range and that is just the federal agencies police departments. There are a few other local ones in DC (for instnace Metro Transit is another entity as I understand it).

Boonsboro

Aug 26, 2009
    Washington County
    Law Enforcement in DC

There are actually 39 law enforcement agencies in the District of Columbia. DC Metropolitan Police, which I have been a sworn member of for 11 years, is the primary law enforcement agency in the city. As stated earlier, there are many federal law enforcement agencies with jurisdiction within the city. However, their primary areas of responsibility are quite small. They also cannot handle Homicide cases. That falls back on MPD. US Capitol Police have the Capitol Building and Office Buildings to include a 4 block radius of those buildings. Uniformed Secret Service have the White House and all embassies. FPS (Federal Protective Services) have jurisdiction over all federal office buildings, etc. Don't forget the US Mint Police, the Government Printing Office Police, US Park Police, Naval Observatory Police, Metro Transit Police, DC Housing Authority Police, DC Protective Services, Naval District of Washington Police, Library of Congress Police and the National Zoo Police. This are only a few examples of uniformed police in the city. Don't forget those not in uniforms to include the FBI, Secret Service and US Marshalls, to name a few. And always remember, laws can be enforced by any of these agencies, the same as MPD. They will just call us to take over if it involves too much paperwork. There are different laws concerning federal property and DC public property. For example, even as a law enforcement officer, I have to surrender my weapon at certain federal buildings in the city. However, on DC public space, you can be charged, for violation of DC law, by any federal law enforcement agency. As far as the CCW issue is concerned....who knows. The Heller case surprised us all, so nothing is off the table yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom