• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rvanrens

Jun 27, 2010
    Adamstown, MD
    I've got a CCW, and carry while working in Virginia. Work often entails entering/exiting my vehicle frequently, so I'm finding my IWB holster uncomfortable.

I'm thinking about a shoulder holster, but I haven't found anyone who makes them in LARGE sizes - I've got a 64-inch chest, and shoulder-to-shoulder is 22 inches. I'm not deeply attached to the idea, mind you, it just occurs to me that it's probably easier for getting in/out of the car than the IWB.

I'm a big guy, which has advantages and disadvantages.

My carry piece is a SIG P250 compact, which is fairly easy to conceal. I wouldn't mind being able to carry the full-frame 250, but with the IWB, it prints pretty badly, or else is awkward to access, or else is just plain uncomfortable. I haven't tried a cross-draw, so that might be another option. I have on occasion carried my Colt Diamondback in a standard hip holster under a coat, but that's only an option with a fairly long coat.

Anyway, looking for opinions, guidance, etc. I'm not real interested in carrying anything lighter than a 9mm or a real hot .38, and my carry guns are also the ones I practice with.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    I have no experience with shoulder holsters but I've never heard anything "good" about them. Most of what I have read is that shoulder holsters are kind of a "last resort" type of holster when you have exhausted other options. Same with ankle carry. I know it's not ideal but I would seriously consider pocket carry with something like a Kel Tec PF9 or similar sized gun. For around $300 you could have a new gun with a pocket holster, you could spend the same money trying different holsters for your current weapon. A good shoulder holster will run somewhere just over $100 on up.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I carry on a crossbreed supertuck 5 o clock position. it is very comfortable. However, using the same holster in appendix carry is uncomfortable. The muzzle of the gun digs in your thigh when you sit or bend ( but offers the the most concealment)

For colder weather... Try a Galco fletch OWB pancake holster. I stay away from ( horizontal)shoulder holsters as it makes most people ( including most gunners) uncomfortable when they they find out that your gun's muzzle if sweeping just about everyone in the room. Vertical shoulder holsters are Okay.. but bulky

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    If you wear the gun too high in the shoulder area, be prepared to clean your arm pit sweat off of it on a weekly basis :D. Nothing worse than a gun with B.O.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I have no experience with shoulder holsters but I've never heard anything "good" about them. Most of what I have read is that shoulder holsters are kind of a "last resort" type of holster when you have exhausted other options. Same with ankle carry...
    This is also my own impression, and I don't know anyone who carries regularly or carries professionally to wear a shoulder rig.

The single biggest issue to me is the muzzle control and how to draw from anything but a carefully staged position without sweeping one's self.
    A LEO Friend carries his S&W M&P40 in a Crossbreed Supertuk. You cannot tell he has it on him and he said it is comfortable.
    I carry on a crossbreed supertuck 5 o clock position. it is very comfortable. However, using the same holster in appendix carry is uncomfortable. The muzzle of the gun digs in your thigh when you sit or bend ( but offers the the most concealment)

For colder weather... Try a Galco fletch OWB pancake holster. I stay away from ( horizontal)shoulder holsters as it makes most people ( including most gunners) uncomfortable when they they find out that your gun's muzzle if sweeping just about everyone in the room. Vertical shoulder holsters are Okay.. but bulky

I recommend this [SuperTuck] setup...a GOOD IWB holster with a GOOD belt makes a GOOD gun unnoticable.
    Another vote for a SuperTuck or CompTac (very similar designs), if an IWB would work for the OP at all.

I have a SuperTuck for a CZ Compact and carry at 4:30 and it IS very comfortable for an IWB. The "footprint" against the back is so broad, the gun doesn't dig in like it does with form-fitted holsters and the whole thing is more like having a folded newspaper tucked into the waistband than the sharp shape of a gun.

The one problem *I* have with the SuperTuck is that the muzzle of the gun I carry in it will be tilted outward (because the grip is tilted inward to be tight to the body), and the bump makes it difficult to get my wallet out without fishing it around the gun muzzle or dust cover or whatever it's catching on.

For much time in the car, I prefer a high riding pancake sort of holster. This style sits high enough not to put pressure on the seat with the muzzle, and the gun clears the seatbelt hardware. I have an HBE for a CZ PCR and it tucks the gun in good and tight. I carry it to straddle the right side belt loop; when I'm in the car, I slide it around to 3:00, and when I get ready to out, I slide it back to 4-4:30 so it's behind my hipbone.

I'm actually leaning more and more toward a good OWB at 4:00, since I also open carry occasionally/incidentally and it's all the same once you're used to having it right there.

I bought one of those stupid new Bianchi pancake retention holsters for my 1911 and it just sucks. One simply cannot draw with a firing grip, a fatal flaw. Otherwise, it's comfy and all, but if you can't get the damn gun out without changing grip, it has very limited utility as a defensive holster in my view....If the index finger is used to release the latch, the grip is way low and one must shift up at some point after release but prior to presentation. If the middle finger is used to release the latch, and the index finger is kept straight, there are only two fingers (ring finger and pinky) left to execute the draw - obviously not a firing grip either...Junk. Someone told me that "you just get used to it", but I refuse to get used to drawing my gun with two fingers unless I happen to get a couple shot off.

I've used a crossdraw with a BullDog .44 for travel, and also with a PPK/S (t-shirt weather), and it's not bad all-round, but not great for driving. I carry it around at 9:30-10 to keep the muzzle clear of my leg when sitting, but it's very hard not to point it at yourself if it's really hidden, so it shares that issue with the shoulder rig.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I have a Miami Classic II shoulder rig, I have one for my full size 1911 and one for My G29/G30. I find it to be the most comfortable way to carry, especially for long drives in the car. When I am frequently in VA I don't even bother to cover it up. I love mine.

You will probably have to call Galco to see what the max size of their harness is. I have a 46 inch chest but I must look like a midget next to you

www.usgalco.com

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    Like I've stated before on this site, I'm rather portly and find IWB carry very uncomfortable and awkward. I've carried here in Maryland for years and found that a good OWB holster is the best for me. I normally carry a S&W M&P.45 in a DeSantis Viper paddle. In the cooler weather I don't even worry about printing and in the warmer months I wear my shirts baggy and out. Never had a problem.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    rvanrens ...

There is a lot of good suggestions here about the Crossbreed Supertuk holster. I personally know of about 4 people who personally own and swear by the Crossbreed Supertuk and a good belt. They work well for big guys and do not print with reasonable clothing... Like jeans and a sweat shirt. It will even do well in short in and a T-shirt provided the shirt is loose enough.

I have seen those holster carry Glock's, XD's, and Sig's very successfully.
    When I teach Personal Protection Outside the House for the NRA class that is what I use.

Let me know if you have questions or would like to see it in person.

Chris

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    I religiously watch "The First 48" and a good number of homicide detectives wear shoulder rigs. Of course most detectives are a bit more round than other officers, do not anticipate imminent danger on every corner and are in and out of their cars constantly.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Can't comment on shoulder holsters.
    However after trying a few IWB holsters. Settled on a Super Tuck.
    I have one for my G26 and also my XD 9mm. both are very comfortable.
    I'm a skinny guy so it takes a bit more to find a holster that hides a gun well on me.
    The big plus is the Super Tuck being adjustable.
    A feature many holsters don't offer.
    Just be sure to use a good leather contioner to soften it up :):

2M10

Jan 14, 2010
    In the winter, a Cabelas Heavyweight Down jacket with several pockets on the front. Pick the one that is easiest to get to and slip your your handgun in an iwb holster inside. Warm and easier to get to than something on your hip, particularly inside the car.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Other tuckable holsters:

MTAC by Comp Tac
    The Answer by Tucker Gunleather (option for leather lined kydex)
    Galco King Tuck
    Kholster
    I think Aker Leather

rvanrens

Jun 27, 2010
    Adamstown, MD
    OK, I'm going to try ordering a Supertuck. After Christmas, you know, when I've got money again...in the meantime, I bought off Ebay for a whopping 5.95 a soft suede IWB that holds my Colt Diamondback beautifully. In a crossdraw position, it's comfortable, easy to reach, and conceals very well. While I'm not crazy about trading 12 rounds of 9mm for 6 of .38, it is of course better to have a lesser gun with you than a better one in the glovebox. Additionally, I'm much better with the Colt - the 250 Compact is a little small for my meathooks, although the service-size frame drastically improves my accuracy. Ideally, I'd like to start carrying the full-frame, because 17 rounds of 9mm is a good arguement to make.

I got "Uncle Jessed" on an inspection a couple weeks ago. It gave impetus to the notion that I need to practice more, be more comfortable and more capable with a CCW pistol. I mean, there's NO time to draw when the door opens an you're staring up the muzzle of a shotgun, but that's a pretty unusual scenario. Generally, the concern is more with squatters in abandoned properties.

Anyway, I've been practicing and getting more confident and (hopefully) competent. While I hope I never have to put it to the test, I'm feeling more like I could and not screw up in a monumental fashion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom