CCW: Full size easier to conceal for some?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    I carry a CZ P-01(compact) in a Comp-Tac MTAC. No complaints. I was cleaning a few pistols tonight and wanted to see how bad my CZ P-09 (full size) would print in comparison. Not sure what's going on, but the P-09 concealed much better. Anyone else experience this?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I've found it more comfortable and easier to draw when carrying full-sized pistols.

Even as a scrawny bastard, with the right holster and a decent shirt - you'd have to watch me closely to know I was carrying.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Ive been experimenting with it for the last 30 minutes and I like it. Like you said, it's a much fastest draw and more comfortable. Still trying to analyze why it works though.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The longer grip moves the edge of the mag baseplate higher, and can pull it in a little tighter, the longer slide doesn't make a difference in concealment with an IWB. Bend over or twist and it will print more, the added weight makes it more prone to shift or sag, and it can be a little less comfortable sitting if the longer slide or grip jabs you. With a good holster the downsides of concealing a larger pistol can be mitigated to the point that there isn't much of a difference, and unless you are carrying for long hours or doing something that stresses your rig most can carry a larger pistol much easier than they might think.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I've been thinking of CCWing my SIG P228 just for fun. It is my favorite pistol. If I can make it just as comfortable and concealable as my SIG P938, I just might make the switch. My problem is that I go from pocket to 4 O'Clock to Appendix Carry based on a variety of situations with the P938. I think I'm going to give up comfort and concealability with the P228.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Multiple variables of build , holster, and belt . Sometimes a longer bbl/ slide will keep the whole gun tucked in to the body. With short bbls °sometimes` the butt will sag outwards either by gravity from being overbalanced or leveraged by love handles. A full length gun will counter that.

Feb 28, 2013
    I've found it more comfortable and easier to draw when carrying full-sized pistols.

Even as a scrawny bastard, with the right holster and a decent shirt - you'd have to watch me closely to know I was carrying.

IWB would also work a bit better fer you.

Fer us fat guys though, not so much.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Use an OWB holster at the 2-3 O'clock position and you can conceal anything. Better yet, use a crossdraw and you will never have to worry about the butt of any pistol printing. A good forward cant will align the butt better with the inside vertical plane of the body too.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I didn't enjoy carrying a full sized pistol. Too wide and heavy. I had to cinch my belt too much to carry a full sized pistol IWB, and it bounced around too much when I had to move quickly. A small, single-stack pistol fits better IWB and lets me pocket carry when I wear certain pants.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Us beefier guys have a hard time with IWB holsters, I know I do. Tried various IWB holsters and they all tend to hurt to carry. So I use canted OWB holsters or belly holsters.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Us beefier guys have a hard time with IWB holsters, I know I do. Tried various IWB holsters and they all tend to hurt to carry. So I use canted OWB holsters or belly holsters.

I can speak as a fat guy. Iwb works just fine with large enough pants and belt. I just prefer owb simply because it's "mobile" along the belt to suit activities or shirt. I like to be able to slide it between 1&3 o'clock.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Use an OWB holster at the 2-3 O'clock position and you can conceal anything. Better yet, use a crossdraw and you will never have to worry about the butt of any pistol printing. A good forward cant will align the butt better with the inside vertical plane of the body too.

Yup.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    M&P9 I can hide pretty well as long as I put a 17 rounder in the magwell and carry 2-20's for back up.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I carried a full size Springfield XD45 IWB using a cheap Blackhawk holster at the 3'oclock position and sometimes at the 12'oclock position for about 4 years when I lived in WV. Recently started carrying the same set up again the same way. I can conceal it with a light jacket, sweat shirt, or even a t shirt and shorts. It's comfortable for me, but I'm definitely going to get a better holster (G code Incog or something else kydex with retention). I've never carried OWB...may have to try that at some point. I'm currently looking to get a Glock 19 or 26 to replace the XD, but this thread has made me question whether I should just get the G17. Of course, I guess I could get a G19 or G26 and use the G17 mags. I'm 6'1", 195lbs

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    I carried a full size Springfield XD45 IWB using a cheap Blackhawk holster at the 3'oclock position and sometimes at the 12'oclock position for about 4 years when I lived in WV. Recently started carrying the same set up again the same way. I can conceal it with a light jacket, sweat shirt, or even a t shirt and shorts. It's comfortable for me, but I'm definitely going to get a better holster (G code Incog or something else kydex with retention). I've never carried OWB...may have to try that at some point. I'm currently looking to get a Glock 19 or 26 to replace the XD, but this thread has made me question whether I should just get the G17. Of course, I guess I could get a G19 or G26 and use the G17 mags. I'm 6'1", 195lbs

I've tried the P-01 and P-07 vs. SP-01 and P-09... Both of the full-size feel better, but I haven't carried outside of the house or for more than an hour. Plus, I can't comment on how comfortable the big'uns are when sitting for awhile. I will definitely give it a go though.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    When I first got my LTCF I tried carrying everything lol. I leaned quickly the Sig MK25 with 18 round mags was WAY too heavy, even with 15 Rd mags its too heavy. Past couple weeks I have been carrying a full size M&P 9mm, it's nice and light. I flip flop between that and a G19.

billymx48

Jun 20, 2015
    as a large fella I conceal a fullsize 1911 with slim grips quite well in a iwb holster. but I'm going to move to something else here soon probably a glock so I will try iwb and owb again to see what works best. I say as long as you can draw it fine and it fits under your shirt carry it. Full frame is usally more bullets to. :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom