• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I don't know that this will actually help anyone, but its possible, so I'm posting it. This is not for fit, thin, or even a little bit overweight people. This is for fat guys.

I'm fat. I have been carrying every single day for a year, since I got my permit. I have gone through many guns, carry methods, positions, etc, and I wanted to share my experience for anyone who is overweight who might be getting into carrying a handgun for the first time.

I am not nor have I ever been law enforcement, military, etc. I'm not some tacticool ninja, just an average citizen. First, lose weight. That needs to be said. At one point I lost 150lbs. Sadly, much of that I've put back on, but I'm working on it. It does feel a little disingenuous talking about self defense while being so out of shape. Good physical conditioning is our first best defense. It's sort of like when people ask me why I don't have a bug out bag. Well, because I'm not going to be physically able to freaking hike to Virginia. That being said, I understand weight is a struggle for many, and even though losing weight and being fit is ideal, you shouldn't not carry just because you're overweight.

Equipment:

Belt - A sturdy belt is critical for carry, but especially if overweight. I use a thick nylon, rachet-style belt. I first tried this off of Blaster's recommendation and I like them. They accommodate up to 50" waist although I'm sure there are bigger ones, but Nexbelts are great. https://www.nexbelt.com/collections/edc-belts/products/titan-bd-black-precisefit-gun-belt-1

Depending on your weight, you can sort of "hang" over those belts and cut yourself from friction, though, so wear an undershirt or switch to leather.

Guns - I've tried Ruger LCP, Glock 43, Glock 43X, Glock 48, and Glock 19. I settled on the Glock 48 for a particular fat-person reason and I'll explain later. Carry whatever gun you'd like. Why Glock for me? Because a G19 was my first gun, and I've always owned Glocks. I'm used to them, I'm used to working on them, etc. If my first gun had been a PPQ, or a M&P, or HK, or Sig, I'd probably still be carrying those, because they're all good. This isn't a gun thread. I'm not going to get into a brand war. Size does matter though for IWB and I'll get to that later.

Carry positions:

Ankle: We're fat. We aren't bending down quickly or capably. If you think it would be good for driving because you can reach down and draw, think again - we're fat. If you're mostly worried about some scenario where you are comfortable having a very slow inconvenient draw, it is better than not having anything at all. However, I have not found an ankle holster that will fit comfortably. They all seem to be too small, so if you're that overweight, you may have the same issue. I've tried many different brands, including the industry standard Galco Ankle Glove. I can get it on there but it's still too tight for me.

Shoulder: It is doable, depending on your clothing. Galco makes good shoulder holsters, and you can order extra large harnesses from them if you're overweight or have bulky body armor, whatever. I tried this for a bit because I hadn't figured out belt carry yet. It worked, but it was still sort of uncomfortable. If you're overweight, it is going to be difficult concealability wise, unless you're wearing a suit or a jacket. I had some fantasy of having shoulder carry working under a normal polo, because again, I hadn't figured out comfortable IWB yet. Negative.

Pocket: This is where we sort of have an advantage. Our pockets are naturally larger than smaller people's. I can pocket carry anything from a Ruger LCP to a Glock 43 very comfortably. I always recommend a pocket holster. It protects the trigger, but also it does keep lint and debris out of the gun. If you pocket carry, clean your gun regularly even if it hasn't been shot. I didn't clean my G43 for a few months, and it was pocket carried daily. I took it to the range and had a malfunction after the first round, which is the only malfunction I've had with a Glock. Ever. Tried again, took it apart after a few weeks - lint. If you pocket carry, clean them.

Also, I don't know why people say you can pocket carry in a cargo pant/short pocket. I've literally never found a holster than stays upright in such a large pocket.

Anyway, if you don't mind the slower draw and size constraint, and don't need the pocket space for other stuff, pocket carry is very viable.

OWB: Probably the most comfortable carry method for us, but obviously we need to dress around the gun. Not much needs to be said about OWB. It works.

IWB: This is where I finally landed. I tried a lot of guns and holsters before finding what worked, and you might have to do the same. I ended up with a Vedder Lighttuck off of Blaster's recommendation, and it is now what I carry exclusively. I've tried leather, hybrid, etc. I have a box full of holsters I'll never carry again. Simple kydex with a single clip works best for me, but your mileage might vary.

The question is, what position?

Appendix is all the rage now. Some people will even tell you to try to appendix carry in the gap under your belly. I think it is a waste of time. It won't work for 99% of us.

Crossdraw? No. We're fat. Next.

3 or 4 o'clock? Ding ding ding. The most important and effective thing I learned is IWB carrying at 3 or 4 o'clock with a longer pistol. I have tried a G43 and G43x at these positions. They work, but I kept finding that the grip would be pushed away from my waist because of the size of my torso. If you're overweight, the trick is to carry something with a longer slide. I settled on the G48. What happens is that the longer slide and holster will have more contact with your leg, which sort of acts like a lever, pushing the grip back into your torso, keeping it tight. This was the trick I needed.

Now, when I get back down to a healthier weight, I'll probably go back to the 43x due to the reduced size/weight of the gun. I don't feel I need the 48's extra slide length for velocity or sight radius -- it just isn't what these guns are for. But honestly, the extra slide length and additional length of the holster working as a lever against my leg made all the difference for me.

Hopefully at least one person sees this and doesn't waste money on extra crap they don't need. Obviously this is what works for me, but I realize everyone's body is different, even among us larger Americans :lol: .

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    Before I lost 50 lbs, I struggled with many of the same issues you did.

Gun: I settled on a Glock 26 (I carry in DC, so I'm limited to 10 rounds), but I sometimes carry my Glock 19 the same way.

Belt: A Hanks Leather belt 1.25", sometimes a 1.5" with jeans, as they easily accept the wider belt in their loops.

Holster: Kydex (I forgot the brand) single clip, IWB.

Position: 4 o'clock. (actually 8 o'clock, since I'm left handed... ;) )

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I'm not fragile. About 6' and 240. I've lost about 40.

I've been through a few handgun, holster and belt combos.
    For me, I've found a Kmioc 1.5" leather belt, Forged Tec kydex single clip holster at 3 to 4 and a Walther PPS M2 is best.
    The belt is stiff and thick. The holster is fairly thin and the clip mates to the belt perfectly. The Walther works well, but it will be replaced with a G43X eventually.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    6’-2”, 260ish. Really need to get rid of the desk gut. But: I carry a P365 IWB in a modest single clip kydex holster. On my build it pretty well disappears under any cover garment at right about four o’clock. I’m so used to it now I don’t even fret - as I did a lot early on - about printing. Just make sure the clip has a solid latch on the belt when doing things like climbing out of the car.

kb830

MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2020
    Clarksville, MD
    Thanks for the thread and lessons learned. I just submitted my MD W&C paperwork; so this thread is definitely a great reference. The length of the slide is really interesting. I was leaning toward the 43x, but now this has me thinking.... Good stuff.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    I am an individual of well-fed proportions and I have had success with the IWB Crossbreed Super Tuck holsters. It is one of the leather / Kydex hybrids.
    I carry a Glock 30 SF and a P365 comfortably at 3:30 / 4:00.

Don't go cheap on holsters. You get what you pay for.
    Same with belts. I use a 1.5" leather belt designed for carrying. - I forget who makes it.

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    Got it all wrong man. No need for a holster. I carry right under my left tittie. I keep a small bag of oreos under my right one.:D

Nice choice on the S&W Airweight! I own one. It's quite snappy due to the lite weight and small frame.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    I was 270, but I am down to 235. I am in the noassatall category. I swear by Biothane belts. Biothane is also used for animal tackle, so its strong as anything out there. I dont like ratcheting belts as I have had the ratcheting mechanism break on me due to having to really wrench it down to keep my pants up. Before I switched to Biothane I was wearing suspenders, I still do when I dress up so as to avoid the dunlop syndrome. I started carrying about a year ago also. I went through numerous holsters with different firearms before I tried Alien Gear. I really like their system. I initially bought it to try different methods of carry and its adjustability, rather than buying a ton more holsters. I settled on IWB. My standard carry gun is my S&W M&P Shield. I love my shield, its one small but extremely accurate gun. I started carrying my G19 about a month ago due to all the unrest and worry over what might happen with the election. I had been looking for another Alien Gear IWB for it, but didnt want to spend a bunch on it, and eventually found the parts I needed on ebay for a deal. For Alien Gear you only need the shell and the rest all integrate with what I already had for my Shield. It works great. Ultimately, the G19 is bigger and is more difficult to conceal, but I dont care, I want the extra rounds right now. Once things calm down I will go back to my Shield and only carry the 19 if there if I am going somewhere I feel I need the extra rounds.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Most likely your weight is a bigger danger than a CCW situation. I’d focus on that as well.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Got it all wrong man. No need for a holster. I carry right under my left tittie. I keep a small bag of oreos under my right one.:D

Nice choice on the S&W Airweight! I own one. It's quite snappy due to the lite weight and small frame.

:lol:

Thanks for the thread and lessons learned. I just submitted my MD W&C paperwork; so this thread is definitely a great reference. The length of the slide is really interesting. I was leaning toward the 43x, but now this has me thinking.... Good stuff.

Made all the difference in the world for me. I would test it out before settling on a gun.

Most likely your weight is a bigger danger than a CCW situation. I’d focus on that as well.

....yes, that was explicitly stated in the OP.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    After carrying a pistol daily for a year and a half, I might as well offer a bit of my experiences.

5'11", 205#, enough ass to keep my pants up with a Nexbelt lower than my roll.

I carry at 230 or 330; I've found that the 330 has advantages; my front pocket isn't interfered with, so easy access, also my overlap tends to obscure any frontal visuals of the gun. BTW, belt loops can have an effect on possible locations for holster positioning.

I use both pancake and IWB, depending on what I'm wearing and where I'm going. Both my holsters are leather, which I prefer, as they tend to be more comfortable adapting to my body, and quieter for the draw. One doesn't have to use a snappy jerk to extricate the pistol; there might be circumstances where more subtle movement might be useful. Maybe.

My IWB is a tuckable; I can tuck my shirt into my pants and still be able to access the gun . . . slower, of course, but at least I have the option. Handy when carrying in places where concealment and stealth would be highly recommended.

The IWB has a single clip, positioned over the trigger guard portion of the holster, which helps minimising the bulge.

I have a Phlster Enigma, which I got early on, but haven't really tried to fit to my body until recently. Looks as though it might be very useful in providing me an appendix carry mode, but it'll require more experimentation before I'd commit to using it.

However, regarding both the Enigma and an earlier poster's comment about longer slides being easier to conceal: Enigma has a kit which I ordered that allows for addition of wedges in various places on the back of the holster, which pushes the barrel out from the body, pushing the grip closer and thus more concealable. Of course, you don't need their wedges, you can make your own if you wish. It looks like a really good idea. Phlister has videos up demnstrating their use.

My carry pistol is a CZ Rami, a small, short and heavy brick of a gun, with excellent ergonomics in hand. I chose it because I like CZ ergos, and I had a choice of 10 or 14 rd magazines, depending on how paranoid I am regarding concealment vs capacity. Since there seems to be an increase in airborne turds in the Takoma/Silver Spring area, my recent inclination is to go for capacity.

My preference for CZ is strongly influenced by my preference for hammer guns with de-cockers. I carry at half-cock, which eases the SA trigger pull, which is still heavy enough to inspire confidence in my ability to refrain from shooting myself with a light-triggered striker pistol, and since there's no safety to mess with, the manual of arms is simpler. Also, it's heavy at 26 oz, which makes recoil negligible, or at least far less problematic. And it's metal, which is a thing for us old farts.

Drawbacks are size/weight, and location -- it's a PITA to draw while strapped into a vehicle. (That's a big reason to continue to focus on the Enigma).

If I dropped 10-15 pounds CCW would be more comfy. Just the same, sometimes I forget I'm wearing the thing, so it's not all bad; you can adapt to almost anything, except MoCo Progressives. There's just no excuse for that BS.

Fat guys with Enigmas: chime in and tell us about your experiences.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The Enigma works fine in its stock form for 2 O’Clock without spacers, at least for me. Carrying a Sig P365…

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom