• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stimpy17

Mar 10, 2015
    Western Maryland
    So here's a question that's running through my head. Assume the scenario:

1) apply for CCW for personal protection
    2) force the application to be accepted and do not allow the MDSP to be nice and not take your money
    3) get denied
    4) follow the process to its end to its end review board etc
    5) get denied

then wait to have a violent crime committed against you that you could have prevented with a hand gun.

Not saying you should seek it out but just wait and if it ever does happen...

State now liable for damages? Sue the pants off them? Retire wealthy? Pain and suffering the whole deal.

Seems like for a few hundred dollars you can buy yourself insurance for life against ever having a violent crime committed against you. All in all it would be cheap insurance?

Just yes!!!!

jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie
    I got denied, had a pretty good case, and still fear that the situation that justified a permit might still end up doing me harm without a means of defense. All that said, I would have nothing close to a case should that happen--in fact it would be thrown out as completely frivolous.

To have a lawsuit you generally need a duty, a breach, proximate cause and damages. In these scenarios:

No duty--as pointed out the State doesn't have a duty to protect you. Nor do they have a duty to issue you a permit, only to follow the law in considering your application.

No provable breach--just denying a permit, even if the decision is wrong, would not be a breach. You would have to prove some active negligence, like the failed to review something they were obligated to do, just ignored the application, etc. That would be almost impossible to do.

No way to prove proximate cause--how could you prove that in a given scenario that but for you having a gun it would have come out better. Can you prove you would have killed, injured or scared away the bad guy? Likely impossible.

Damages--ok, assuming you are hurt, that is the only thing you would have.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    We have Long Gun open carry. You are not defenseless.
    Don't carry a long gun loaded in a vehicle.
    Not in Prohibited places plus a few more rules, oh,
    and wear clean underwear.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Well, you cannot prove to me or probably any court, that having had a pistol, you would have been successful in defending yourself in a situation.
    I think you would be suing for not having been allowed to TRY and use a pistol for self defense.

I'm not even sure what I wrote has anything to do with the op :)

m4strmind

Nov 14, 2006
    Well, you cannot prove to me or probably any court, that having had a pistol, you would have been successful in defending yourself in a situation.
    I think you would be suing for not having been allowed to TRY and use a pistol for self defense.

I'm not even sure what I wrote has anything to do with the op :)

You got the idea i was thinking about :)

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    This is the mission statement of MSP. I say they have a duty to protect you.
    Mission

The Mission of the Maryland State Police is to protect the citizens of the State of Maryland from foreign and domestic security threats, to fight crime, and to promote roadway safety by upholding the laws of the State of Maryland. This will be accomplished through aggressive patrol, investigation, intelligence gathering and interdiction efforts; and by providing leadership and assistance to state and local agenci

m4strmind

Nov 14, 2006
    I think it would be a PR nightmare for the state if nothing else.

"Man scared for his life from his ex-wifes new boy friend beaten after maryland denied his ability to defend himself"

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I think it would be a PR nightmare for the state if nothing else.

"Man scared for his life from his ex-wifes new boy friend beaten after maryland denied his ability to defend himself"

that's how you and I may think. 99.9% of everyone else won't care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom