• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ffemtreed

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2011
    Wilmington, NC
    There was a person in Hebron MD that got caught with a handgun on him after almost running a sheriff over (allegedly).

Following up on his case the disposition is STET, which I understand to mean they aren't going to pursuit prosecuting him anytime soon, unless they find more information or he gives them a another reason to prosecute.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    The outcome for getting caught with a concealed handgun varies a lot by county. A lot of them (mainly rural) you'll get a PBJ if you have a clean record and its not in the context of doing something else stupid. You will forfeit the gun. In some cases you can get a stet if you have a good story to sell to the prosecutor. Some prosecutor's offices ( Montgomery county I know for sure) have a policy that they will oppose a PBJ no matter what.

Ruzo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2011
    Phoenix, MD.
    My thug neighbor got arrested twice for criminal possession of a handgun and got nolle prosse'd both times.

Wow! How is that possible?? If they caught this jerk off with a gun that's proof right there. I thought nolle prosse could only be declared when the prosecutor can't show proof of evidence.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Ruzo said:
    Wow! How is that possible?? If they caught this jerk off with a gun that's proof right there. I thought nolle prosse could only be declared when the prosecutor can't show proof of evidence.

Nolle pros's are entered for a lot of reasons: lack of evidence or witnesses (a lot of witnesses never show up to court and they don't issue FTA warrants for them), police officer in another case (judges here don't have much understanding for scheduling issues), police officer on vacation or sick.

JRoCc

MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2010
    Earth
    Williams vs Maryland?? Isn't he still incarcerated? Supreme court will not hear his case.

CapoGreg

Extra mediocre
    Aug 10, 2009
    Aberdeen
    My father carried without a permit for almost 14 years after an accident left him paralyzed from the waist down. His argument was that he had the right to defend himself at all costs since he was no longer able to run from trouble. His brother, who was MSP, backed him on that and said that no prosecutor or judge would want to be responsible for sending a paralyzed man to jail for protecting himself.

MikeSP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2011
    Severna Park, MD
    He's wrong. Besides upon conviction you'll lose your gun rights forever, your firearm will probably be forfeited in court and thereupon destroyed.
    http://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2010/criminal-law/title-4/subtitle-2/4-203/

why would you lose your gun rights forever?
    The penalty section says:
    (c) Penalty.-
    (1) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to the penalties provided in this subsection.
    (2) If the person has not previously been convicted under this section, § 4-204 of this subtitle, or § 4-101 or § 4-102 of this title:
    (i) except as provided in item (ii) of this paragraph, the person is subject to imprisonment for not less than 30 days and not exceeding 3 years or a fine of not less than $250 and not exceeding $2,500 or both

Its not a felony or violent crime so is it because the jail time COULD be up to 3 years?
    I couldn't find a list of "disqualifying crimes" that would prevent ownership.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    (c) Penalty.-
    (1) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to the penalties provided in this subsection.
    (2) If the person has not previously been convicted under this section, § 4-204 of this subtitle, or § 4-101 or § 4-102 of this title:
    (i) except as provided in item (ii) of this paragraph, the person is subject to imprisonment for not less than 30 days and not exceeding 3 years or a fine of not less than $250 and not exceeding $2,500 or both

Its not a felony or violent crime so is it because the jail time COULD be up to 3 years?

Yes, any felony conviction, or any conviction for a misdemeanor that carries more than 2 years in jail is prohibiting.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    The MD permit is for all types of carry, not the method of carry.
    So if your Maryland Handgun Permit is approved you can opt to open carry versus concealed? If this is so, then why would anyone be legally worried about printing or accidentally exposing their gun while carrying concealed?

(c) Penalty.-

I had an interesting discussion with a guy this week who refuses to apply for a Maryland Handgun Permit. He says that he has concealed carried for many years and that he said that doesn't feel the need to "ask" Maryland for permission to excercise his 2A rights. He said that he is not worried about arrests because it is only a misdemeanor in Maryland. He said that he doesn't care if they confiscate his handgun because he carries a fairly inexensive one and he has many more at home. He added that all of his guns are bought privately and not registered with Maryland. Would you believe that this guy just so happens to work behind a gun counter selling guns? I was kind of shocked by his bold statements.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    So if your Maryland Handgun Permit is approved you can opt to open carry versus concealed? If this is so, then why would anyone be legally worried about printing or accidentally exposing their gun while carrying concealed?

With a major change in the legality of carry, I'd expect the statute to be rewritten. The current statute will change IMO. And are there any printing statues? I'm not even sure the concealed carry statute defines what concealed is

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    With a major change in the legality of carry, I'd expect the statute to be rewritten. The current statute will change IMO. And are there any printing statues? I'm not even sure the concealed carry statute defines what concealed is

I think the only code that applies to "carrying" is 4-203, and it only specifies "open or concealed" with no major definitions of either term.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Try it. See how fast one of the sheep calls the shepherd. You will probably be cited for disturbing the peace, and lose your permit.

Teemus

MSI Executive Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    You can get off with a Nolle Prosequi as well if you get caught. Just tell the arresting officer and, later, the judge, that "...I was just getting my life together your honor. I have a promising career as a rapper/NBA player." They will let you off every time (and multiple times). It's like having a "Get out of jail free" card in monopoly. Don't believe me? Just scroll through a few thousand cases in the MD Judiciary Case Search and read the charges and the outcomes.

Oh, I forgot. None of this works if you are:

1. Have a long history of working at a legal occupation.
    2. Own your home or are paying a mortgage.
    3. Not a registered Democrat.
    4. Do not have a lengthy criminal history.
    5. Not presently receiving public assistance.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    Try it. See how fast one of the sheep calls the shepherd. You will probably be cited for disturbing the peace, and lose your permit.

I figure that you would become very popular with the local authorites everytime that you went out.

Question, so when you get a Maryland Handgun Permit, does it come with a booklet, instructions, or informational pamphlets on how you should carry in Maryland?... like the booklet when you get a MD fishing/hunting license, or packet BATFE C&R license?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom