• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F8L_Funnel

Jan 28, 2013
    Stick the old double barrel out the front door and fire off two shots in the air :lol:

fire 2 shots in the air and when those slugs/buckshot come down, and they will - law of physics and gravity and stuff, god forbid it hits someone not invading your castle - you are on the hook for assault with a deadly weapon or worse if the person dies.

jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie
    While Maryland technically retains the "castle doctirne" you can almost certainly count on being prosecuted, particularly in the DC area. Even winning the case after a long an costly prosecution my not be worth it. Consider the Trayvon Martin case. Obviously, if you really have no choice but to use deadly force, you have to do what you have to do, but you will also be relentlessly second guessed.

For a general take on some of these issues nationally, and use of force by civilians in general, some might be interested in this article:

http://www.thecounterterroristmag.com/pdf/Keiler.Citizens.Issue5.lores.pdf

Bang

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2008
    Baltimore Co.
    Maybe I'm wrong:

http://mlis.state.md.us/asp/statutes_respond.asp?article=gcj&section=5-808&Extension=HTML

I'd still like to hear an attorney chime in. To this layman the way I read b.1 means that someone, a jury of peers, still has to determine if what the home owner did was reasonable.

I'm not trying to be an ass but would like clarification as well.

What I have read out of that the key word is May award fees, it's not a automatic thing.

I'm in the do what you have to to stop the threat, let the lawyers sort out the legal stuff camp.

But to be honest, if you have to discharge your weapon to defend yourself or your family you will never come out ahead. Between the mental toll of doing it and the stress of all the legal crap after. Plus the financial toll of clean up, damages to neighbors property if any, and the outlay of funds for legal services. It's something I hope to never have to do, but I am prepared to do so if required.

In summary if you have to pull a trigger, you're screwed, but you're still alive.

kcd

quickdraw
    Jul 21, 2007
    Fort Washington
    Couple of months ago, there was a story in the news about a drunken teen neighbor entering a wrong house in Sterling, VA. and getting killed by the homeowner. It appeared that the drunken teen was dropped off at the wrong address after a night out with friends. Breaking and entering is not a capital offense but it may well be that he lost his life just for that. I was under the impression that the homeowner was not charged for the killing.

highfructosecornsyrup

Apr 2, 2012
    baltimore city
    http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/episode-1094-massad-ayoob-on-lethal-force-aftermath

Massad Ayoob makes some good points here. Things that if you are armed in your house you should hear what he has to say because when you start out as the victim and that guys is laying there dead or half dead when law arrives, who looks like the victim? When paramedics move shell casings to give immediate attention and it looks like you went closer to finish him off.

Seriously, listen to it 5 times....

Ill add the show notes
    Join Us Today As We Discuss…

What is the biggest thing most armed citizens fail to plan for
    What happens in most cases immediately after a “justified shooting”
    What plans should you have in place in case you ever have to use deadly force
    How does a deadly force incident differ when it is in your home vs. away
    What about the castle doctrine, how much protection does it really provide
    Can a shooting legally justified in one state and not another with the same facts
    What is the absolute worst thing you can do after a shooting
    When the police arrive how should you greet them
    Is there anything you should never say or do in from of first responders to an incident
    Defense of life vs. defense of property
    Can the appearance of a weapon influence the outcome of a trial
    How can ammo selection be used against you

Last edited:

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Couple of months ago, there was a story in the news about a drunken teen neighbor entering a wrong house in Sterling, VA. and getting killed by the homeowner. It appeared that the drunken teen was dropped off at the wrong address after a night out with friends. Breaking and entering is not a capital offense but it may well be that he lost his life just for that. I was under the impression that the homeowner was not charged for the killing.

that story seemed fishy to me from the start, one of the to houses didnt have a fence he entered from the rear. Never been that drunk that I wouldn't forget if I had to climb a fence . The alarm was blaring me I would stop if the alarm is going off in my "house" if my house didnt have one.

They said he was a good kid I don't know but he snuck out and got drunk. I give the parents props for publicly coming out and saying the homeowner dd nothing wrong

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    But Joe Biden says it's ok. Ask him to represent you in your criminal trial. Maybe pro bozo.
    FIFY :lol:

that story seemed fishy to me from the start, one of the to houses didnt have a fence he entered from the rear. Never been that drunk that I wouldn't forget if I had to climb a fence . The alarm was blaring me I would stop if the alarm is going off in my "house" if my house didnt have one.

They said he was a good kid I don't know but he snuck out and got drunk. I give the parents props for publicly coming out and saying the homeowner dd nothing wrong

Kid was drunk and pried open a window thinking he was sneaking back in to his own house. Open window triggered the house alarm and the off-duty firefighter responded with lethal force.

If he knew it was a drunk kid, he would have got a stern talking to, but in the middle of the night, who can blame the fire fighter. I'm sure he has been punishing himself more than any court judgment could.

rh92

Mar 2, 2013
    Rockville
    Apparently from what I read, the homeowner who shot the kid fired off a warning shot and gave him a chance to flee. The kid instead moved towards him (thanks to his drunken state) and his life ended there.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    FIFY :lol:

Kid was drunk and pried open a window thinking he was sneaking back in to his own house. Open window triggered the house alarm and the off-duty firefighter responded with lethal force.

If he knew it was a drunk kid, he would have got a stern talking to, but in the middle of the night, who can blame the fire fighter. I'm sure he has been punishing himself more than any court judgment could.

Yes but before he got to the window it should of dawned on him when he reached/ didn't reach a fence that one of these house had

kcd

quickdraw
    Jul 21, 2007
    Fort Washington
    Apparently from what I read, the homeowner who shot the kid fired off a warning shot and gave him a chance to flee. The kid instead moved towards him (thanks to his drunken state) and his life ended there.

I didn't read that. If that's what happened, I think the police did the right thing by not charging the homeowner. But if you think about it, it would be the good homeowner's word that he moved toward him and nothing to refute what he said. (I would think that the homeowner didn't have to prove that the teen moved toward him after he fired the warning shot.) It's tough -- the teen could have been just going through a phase of growing pains.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom