• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    About 2 weeks ago I bought a new shotgun (H&R Slug Gun) for deer hunting this year. Since I cast my own bullets for .308/.454/etc, I decided to cast the shotgun slugs that I would use also.

I bought the Lee Key Drive Slug mold first and got the components for it but despite trying multiple loads and several trips to the range, I couldn't get good enough accuracy from it (best ~ 4in at 25 yards).

Unfortunately, I was unable to find anyone online who had successfully loaded cast slugs in this gun (or other fully-rifled barrel guns) and have spent the past two weeks experimenting.

Finally, I determined that the Lee Key Drive slugs were just not going to be accurate in this gun and got the (much more expensive) Lyman 525 gr Slug Mold. This slug looks like the world's largest airgun pellet. I am extremely excited that I was able to find a load to get the attached 5-shot group!!!

Since I didn't find much info about this online, I wrote up the entire experience and included the load data on my website: http://cockrum.net/shooting.html

Attachments

• Lyman_slug.jpg
      Lyman_slug.jpg
      4.9 KB · Views: 289
    • 525_25gUniv_CB1118-12_Lubed.jpg
      525_25gUniv_CB1118-12_Lubed.jpg
      60.1 KB · Views: 244
    • lots_of_slugs.jpg
      lots_of_slugs.jpg
      36.6 KB · Views: 251

vafish

Mar 13, 2012
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    I may have to get the Lyman mold.

I've been using the lee for a few months without real good results. Just a lot of flyers. I've been thinking of trying a 20 ga fiber wad under the lee slug. Some have reported better results that way.

euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    Real-World Results with H&R Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe Shotgun and Hand-cast Slugs

At 40 years old, this is my first deer. The slug hit just behind the right front leg about 2" below the spine and exited low just in front of the left rear leg (you can see the exit wound in the photo). The shot was about 60 yards down a 20 degree slope. The slug obviously had enough energy but more expansion (or compensating for the slope more to hit a couple of inches lower) would have dropped the deer much faster. He ran for about 200 yards up the other side of the valley and over a ridge.

Attachments

• First_Deer_20121124_small.jpg
      First_Deer_20121124_small.jpg
      168.2 KB · Views: 173

euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    If you were closer to Baltimore, I'd make the mold with you (2 copies, of course). I have a small CNC mill and a lathe in my basement. I've never done a bullet mold before but have seen some Youtube videos about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom