• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    I'm sitting here staring at some 1000+ cases and the thought of hand chamfering and deburring them all (again) is making me queasy. It's time to break down and buy a prep center. I have a Little Crow case trimmer so I'm good there. It's just the monotony of the case mouth work that's bumming me out. I'm looking at the Lyman and the RCBS. Is there anything else out there for around $150 or less?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I have the Lyman, and I'll fight hard to make sure it stays on my bench.

**I've easily processed at least 10K casings in the time I've had it, still running without missing a beat. But your hands will still cramp up if you have to process a lot of brass, no way around that.

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter

**I've easily processed at least 10K casings in the time I've had it, still running without missing a beat. But your hands will still cramp up if you have to process a lot of brass, no way around that.

Thanks, BM82. Roger on the cramping. I've found wearing rubber gloves helps(easier for gripping cases using less strength).

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Nice thing is, chamfering and de-burring only take 1 to 2 seconds, so if you don't have much to do - or break it up into batches, it's not that hateful.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Giruad trimmer? Cuts to length, chamfer and deburs all in one. Unfortunately it's well over $150. I have a Lyman as well and it's done me pretty good in combo with the WFT. I can't comment on the RCBS, sorry.

Biff_N

Jan 7, 2010

+1 on the Lyman I really like mine.

Here is a tip a friend told me that he uses with his RCBS that I also use on my Lyman to make holding the shell case easier. I slip it in the case holder I use with my Wilson trimmer. The case holder secures the case from spinning while I remove the crimp (if needed), uniform the primer pockets, and chamfer the case mouth. You can probably find a used Wilson case holder on eBay without an issue. As an added bonus you don't have to hold as tightly so your fingers don't get cramped as they may if you held it by hand with a glove for improved grip.

Bucephalus

Aug 27, 2008
    Look at the Lee Deluxe Quick Trim. You need the trim die for the caliber you are prepping. Very reasonable in price. Does a good job.

ap1

Sep 6, 2014
    spend the money!

I'm sitting here staring at some 1000+ cases and the thought of hand chamfering and deburring them all (again) is making me queasy. It's time to break down and buy a prep center. I have a Little Crow case trimmer so I'm good there. It's just the monotony of the case mouth work that's bumming me out. I'm looking at the Lyman and the RCBS. Is there anything else out there for around $150 or less?

The RCBS is totally worth it!!! Every company makes something that is a can't do without and this is that thing from RCBS... It was one of the first purchases we made for our shop

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Honestly can't recommend a case prep center. Save up some more $$ and buy a Giraud or a Gracey. I just got my Gracey with Giraud upgrades (motor and cutter) and I sized and trimmed (deburr and chamfer included) about 500 rounds in like 90 minutes last night.

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    Honestly can't recommend a case prep center. Save up some more $$ and buy a Giraud or a Gracey. I just got my Gracey with Giraud upgrades (motor and cutter) and I sized and trimmed (deburr and chamfer included) about 500 rounds in like 90 minutes last night.

Those look nice but, every time I scrimp and save that much moolah, I buy another gun.:lol:

paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    I have the Gracy and RCBS. Great combo. Get a cheap one dollar magnetic bit screwdriver and the Lee collet shell holder. The square shank will fit the six sided bit. Twist the Lee, insert case and tighten. Easy to grasp and gives the one quarter turn needed for the chamfer. Put newspaper under the RCBS when you uniform the primer pocket.

BLS27

May 1, 2015
    Mt. Airy
    I just got the Lyman a week ago. My god... so nice! I even added my lyman flash hole uniformer to it. Screwed right in.

BTW... that Little crow is ALSO so worth it. Pricey... but it's said that you can get a good 4,000 trims outta it before needing to replace the bit. I'll take 4,000 easy case trimmings over winding any day!

Last edited:

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Before prep center.. I typically debur and clean the primer pocket while watching TV.. Lol

Prep center does make task simple and faster.

ArSoNZ28

Mar 20, 2009
    Delaware
    Another vote for the Lyman. It’s nice to hear Brad has had his running for so many rounds. I was worried how the motor would hold up being one of the cheaper prep centers. I think the reviews on Cabela’s sold me. I picked it up on sale from Midway for < $100 a few years back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom