carrying with a W $C permit in a vehicle but not actually on you.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    So…it’s a toss up between a Taran Tactical and a Staccato?

Te Tell the truth. Love the Staccato C2. Lite enough even loaded - 25 oz , small , accurate. YEA
    "retired special forces veteran shooting consistent 100-yard shots in sub 4 seconds to the everyday
    range shooter hitting 25-yard-targets with ease."

BUT Cost outside my retired budget. Stick with my Sig P320 Carry

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    Yeah. Why? But glad I could oblige lol
    It's not grip tape. But it is tape on the grip. Goon tape. Hockey tape. Whatever you wanna call it.
    My muffin top doesn't like the aggressive stippling.
    Plus I was shooting in the humidity last week and my hands were sweating to no end.
    Same issue here, I was thinking about using a scotch Brite pad to smooth my 365 out a little. I have a couple guns that the grips have naturally smoothed out but I get in a hurry.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Yeah. But are you doing the job now that they were doing then? Nope.
    I was just visiting with one of my mentors last week, and he was just the opposite. Pistols under the thigh in order to handle threats at checkpoints. Right through the door. Just like a co worker of mine did when he unzipped an armed car jacker when he was sitting in a parking lot.
    See how that works?
    People shouldn't be pulling guns out of holsters inside the car. I'll do it when going into the city in case I hit a "squeegee checkpoint". But you go ahead and keep yours tucked safely and securely in your pants. You see, we are individuals capable of our own choices.
    No. He was in a war zone then (or what we'd call a war zone), a place where he was much MORE likely to need that ready access to a gun than here in the US (yes, even Baltimore).

Obviously, the "you do you" thing applies here, and someone with your resume and level of training is probably fine.

Unfortunately, there are many here who look up to you and are ready and willing to emulate what you do without having that level of experience or training. It is that group of people that I'm really addressing when I respond to you. Not you, as I'm confident you'd be fine with whatever.

I doubt many here would do as I've done and make a realistic assessment of when/where they are most vulnerable and then take coursework to address those areas. I've determined that transitional areas in or around vehicles are my most likely hotspots, and have taken multiple vehicle tactics classes with multiple instructors to address that need. I can draw from AIWB from belted in behind the wheel and get rounds downrange within about .25 seconds of my "standing" time. I know this because I've done it. I'm not guessing and I'm not doing it because so-and-so said so. I've been taught, yes, but then I put it on the clock myself.

Most here aren't going to do any of those things. They're going to watch what you do, say "the cup holder is good enough for Blaster, so it's good enough for me", and roll on, and yet it really may not be the "best" solution FOR THEM.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    No. He was in a war zone then (or what we'd call a war zone), a place where he was much MORE likely to need that ready access to a gun than here in the US (yes, even Baltimore).

Obviously, the "you do you" thing applies here, and someone with your resume and level of training is probably fine.

Unfortunately, there are many here who look up to you and are ready and willing to emulate what you do without having that level of experience or training. It is that group of people that I'm really addressing when I respond to you. Not you, as I'm confident you'd be fine with whatever.

I doubt many here would do as I've done and make a realistic assessment of when/where they are most vulnerable and then take coursework to address those areas. I've determined that transitional areas in or around vehicles are my most likely hotspots, and have taken multiple vehicle tactics classes with multiple instructors to address that need. I can draw from AIWB from belted in behind the wheel and get rounds downrange within about .25 seconds of my "standing" time. I know this because I've done it. I'm not guessing and I'm not doing it because so-and-so said so. I've been taught, yes, but then I put it on the clock myself.

Most here aren't going to do any of those things. They're going to watch what you do, say "the cup holder is good enough for Blaster, so it's good enough for me", and roll on, and yet it really may not be the "best" solution FOR THEM.
    I'm also not throwing it uncovered in there. I'm just going by a comfort thing while driving :)
    I experimented with a side of console holster thing. I didn't like it because it involves drawing the pistol and placing it into a different holster. I wasn't comfortable. And I hate Alien Gear and didn't even consider the thing they have.
    My hips hurt. Many years of 2 mags, cuffs, P229 and knife, etc... tight and cramped in airplanes seats have taken a toll on my hips. Hell, driver's seats are wide compared to coach seats. I'm tired of being in condition yellow all the time too. I have to let my guard down sometimes to relax.
    Like I said, around town, I am not taking the holster out. Long trips, yeah it's going in the console somewhere.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    What you're comfortable with, and what you may have been trained to do will have a lot to do with choices. None is perfect for all situations.

Someone who is only trained on firearm use will concentrate on optimizing the firearm self defense in a vehicle solution. And that is what will work for them. Those with other training might consider, at least if we're the driver, that we're already in full control of a 28,000,000 grain projectile via the throttle and steering wheel, so that should be the first go-to weapon with the firearm as a backup in case of failure of the primary. And that primary weapon you're concentrating your effort on wielding doubles as the mechanism for getting you off the "X", too, whereas you can't really ride a pistol.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    What you're comfortable with, and what you may have been trained to do will have a lot to do with choices. None is perfect for all situations.

Someone who is only trained on firearm use will concentrate on optimizing the firearm self defense in a vehicle solution. And that is what will work for them. Those with other training might consider, at least if we're the driver, that we're already in full control of a 28,000,000 grain projectile via the throttle and steering wheel, so that should be the first go-to weapon with the firearm as a backup in case of failure of the primary. And that primary weapon you're concentrating your effort on wielding doubles as the mechanism for getting you off the "X", too, whereas you can't really ride a pistol.
    I will likely just go with a console lock box for long trips if I am carrying. Take holster and gun off, place in lock box. Probably unlocked until I get out of the car. Or just placed in the console and if I need to leave it in the vehicle unattended (as in my wife isn't waiting in the car or something), it'll go in the lockbox.

That is supposing I for some reason do not want or cannot carry the firearm with me out of the vehicle. If I need to drive through a shady area, I'd strap up again for that. But in general, I am less concerned with immediate access to a firearm in my vehicle than I am on foot. I am very rarely driving through areas I have any concerns over a carjacking. If I was, I'd have the firearm on me. With shorter drives, I wouldn't take the firearm off me (I don't know what that is for me as it isn't like I have any experience carrying outside the home really). I suspect a half an hour drive wouldn't be much of a bother. An hour drive might be. A 2 hour drive or more probably would be a pain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom